• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do Ralph Lauren outlets carry Lauren (green label)?

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lauren is a licensed brand, and not actually a product of the Ralph Lauren corporation, yet the majority of suits in any Ralph Lauren outlet I've visited have been Lauren. Occasionally there will be the occasional PRL, RLBL or RLPL on the clearance rack, but the main tailored clothing section is all green label.

tj100

Reaction score
I don't think that's uncommon. I haven't been to one of the outlets in a long time, but I believe that they also sell Ralph Lauren fragrances (licensed to L'Oreal) and underwear (licensed to HanesBrands).

The RL Outlet business is big enough that they need low cost garments to feed the beast - they might as well get them from the lines that they already license for that market.

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would never buy the green label stuff in the store, but I have bought a couple of the ties while thrifting and they were actually pretty decent.

stu00a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not many people know the difference between Blue Label and Green Label.

Outlet people will think they are getting a great deal on those.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To make money?

Have you considered occupying an outlet?

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because the majority of shoppers there
a) Care about Designer Label for little money only
b) Don't know that there is a difference between Lauren by RL and RLPL
c) Are willing to leave money for crappy stuff

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
When the "leaking" of the 50% off code caused Lauren-Gate a few weeks back there were multiple references to people on coupon sites commenting about how 50% off RL stuff still was a total rip off. While I might agree with them for certain items, this further underlines the general public's inability to understand, discern or care about quality.

Most people could care less how long something is going to last them or how well it's made. After all, if I can buy 12 pairs of jeans for $12, who gives a **** if they disintegrate after a month. I have 11 more!

RL is simply playing to this mentality of thoughtless consumerism under the guise of bargains. I would complain about it, but these are the people that leave all the decent stuff on the racks as they vacuum up 3 suits for $300.

Now for a better question: Why are there people trying to push Lauren green label stuff on B&S? That **** is baffling.

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh god its not that awful. They are cheap suits for label hunters. The quality isn't very good at all, but I have a Lauren suit that was one of my first that I wear during rainy days as a beater suit now. Its at least 6 years old now, and there is no bubbling, or really any issues now that I think about it. Its a perfectly fine first suit or cheap beater suit.

contrary to popular belief, it will not disintegrate. Its 100% wool (as far as I know), and the cuts are somewhat conservative.

It ain't kiton, but what the hell can you expect for $150. RL is selling the dream for rock bottom prices. such is life.

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

oh god its not that awful.

That's my thought as well. Labels are often overrated. Just look at the thrift thread. People buy stuff that in reality is outdated crap, but it has a high end tag on it.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's my thought as well. Labels are often overrated. Just look at the thrift thread. People buy stuff that in reality is outdated crap, but it has a high end tag on it.

the way I think of it is this:

Not everyone is into nice clothes, just like not everyone is into nice cars. We spend our lives talking porsches, mercedes, bentley, ferrari etc, while the average person gets into their beige camry or focus or cobalt every day and is perfectly happy. If they can get a chevy rebadged as a cadillac, why not.

This forum is so above the realm of the average person its insane. The guy in the besetti thread dropped like $30k on 6 pairs of shoes. While new blue label or even purple label suits are not at that level, they are still way above what the average person buys.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Not many people know the difference between Blue Label and Green Label.
Outlet people will think they are getting a great deal on those.

Outlet People. They walk single file to hide their numbers....

Last edited:

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Florida, there is insane amount traffic in Ralph Lauren outlets! I have yet to buy something there, i would like to, but nothing catches my fancy and meets my discerning expectations. I did find 2 RLPL tuxedo dress shirts on the clearance rack the other day, which was like finding gold at the bottom of a dumpster. Too bad they were not my size :(

arirang

Reaction score

oh god its not that awful. They are cheap suits for label hunters. The quality isn't very good at all, but I have a Lauren suit that was one of my first that I wear during rainy days as a beater suit now. Its at least 6 years old now, and there is no bubbling, or really any issues now that I think about it. Its a perfectly fine first suit or cheap beater suit.
contrary to popular belief, it will not disintegrate. Its 100% wool (as far as I know), and the cuts are somewhat conservative.
It ain't kiton, but what the hell can you expect for $150. RL is selling the dream for rock bottom prices. such is life.

I generally agree with this sentiment. It's one thing to express a preference for the premium version of a product, but I don't see why people make irrational comments about the lower end.

The green label is perfectly functional, looks decent and is good value for money considering the full retail price is $525 (in my area at least) and often on sale for half that. And just because a suit is fused doesn't mean it's going to "bubble" or distintegrate right away anyway. I've had a few fused suits in my time and in my recollection, only one ever started to bubble and that was after I wore the living hell out of it as a university student, with repeated uses of steamers on it.

You spend $200 on a green label suit and you'll get something decent and wearable for the next few years. I'm not sure why that's a bad thing.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Get the hell out of this thread and away from this forum with your common sense. There's no place for that kind of thinking around here. Burn this heretic I say! Burn him!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads