• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do people's dry jeans show more crotch rips?

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of dry jeans here and elsewhere that have ripped and sewn crotches. Is this just because of extra wear? Or does the extremem starching that makes them so ridgid also make the crotch area more fragile (similar to how of the three types of watch crystals used, plastic, glass, and sapphire, sapphire is the toughest, but the ridgedness makes it most likely to shatter)?

evilgeniusdan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A combination of mediocre denim (nudie), increased levels of wear, and the lack of washing which weakens the denim fibers over time.

That being said, I think the increased wear is the prime contributer. It is not often that people wear distressed jeans seven days a week for months on end.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Dry denim is durable, but also somewhat brittle. Once the wrinkles break in, the fibers there are the only ones that bend for the most part, so they get an inordinate amount of wear, as compared to soft fabric where the wear is distributed across all the fibers.

Couple that with wearing them a long time without washing so that the fibers get weakened by the various things that stay on them (the salt crystals in perspiration will cut through fabric and leather fibers, for example), and wearing them too tight to where they are stretched beyond capacity and you have a formula for crotch rips.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Most on the forum wear their jeans tighter than average. Tighter jeans will pull more at the crotch, and cause more stress.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So can I assume that dry Nudies worn somewhat regularly, but also washed more often than project jeans will be fine as far as crotch-wear goes (I'm thinking of my new AJDH, which will servec as my extra pair of dress jeans)?

I'm now also especially glad I went with the less expensive RADJ instead of DS for my first project jeans, as they are not only cheaper, but a little softer.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yah, I think the biggest reason why my crotch ripped was because I was riding my bike like 5 km a day.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys who wear dry jeans have bigger penises.

Brandish

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
Its so true
laugh.gif
Im not sure but I used to get more rips in my days of not knowing better wearing sevens than any dry pair I have owned. They used to almost always fall apart.

doink

Reaction score
Guess if riding a bike causes impotence it should also cause crotch blow out.
wink.gif

I have worn nudies, RR grey cast(8 months but gave them away as they did not fit like I wanted), sugar canes 1947(1 year) and edwins, win trip - line dry/one wash(9 months) while riding my bike(20-30km at a time), and have not blown out any crotches. But I tend to size true/loose.

thelion1856

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick

or get boners more often than those who dont wear raw denim.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ken
Most on the forum wear their jeans tighter than average. Tighter jeans will pull more at the crotch, and cause more stress.

While the other stuff posted holds merit (especially the penis stuff), i think people wearing slimmer model jeans, sizing down, stretching, etc... puts a lot of unnecessary stress on them. I can definitely see this when wearing my PBJs when i'm sitting indian style and going through certain range of motions. I'm sure if i rode my bike a lot and was generally more active in them, i'd encounter a crotch rip eventually. Mainly from the lack of motion available to me from the slimness and low rise and tension it creates.

Double D

Reaction score
I know plenty of people who own washed Gap jeans with crotch rips, and generally they have fat thighs.

On the other hand, I've never blown out my crotch on a pair of jeans. Then again, I don't have fat thighs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads