• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do people think dogs are so special?

pauliodotnet

Reaction score
no matter what a dog will always be failthful to you. they are biased and think that you are the best thing in the world

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
I've never understood why dogs are put on such a pedestal in western countries, particularly in America. It happens with lots of other pets, but never to the same extent as dogs. Some people seem to care for their dogs more than they care about other people and treat their dogs as if they are their children. People find the idea of a dog dying a painful death almost as horrific as a human dying a painful death. This doesn't seem to apply to other animals either. If someone shoots a dog for sport, it's a crime, if the same person shoots a deer or moose, or whatever else for sport, it's just a past-time. Why do dogs have such an exalted status?

At this rate 10,000 years from now archaeologists are going to dig up a LV dog carrier, see videos of dog therapists, and find the ruins of a pet store, and think we worshiped dogs like the Egyptians worshiped cats.

I condemn animal cruelty, so don't get it twisted.

Yack yack yack.

This is Napo. Come on man, what human being could ever compete?

p9300011js8.jpg

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find 99% dogs to be disgusting.
I find 99% of dog owners just as disgusting and dirty as their pets.
Dogs should be taxed into non-existence.
The only dogs I can stand are the ones who are working.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^Thank you for sharing your particular brand of hate on yet another topic.

Pedantic Turkey

Reaction score
Kids.

People have fewer children much later in life, so dogs and cats with big eyes and childlike faces take their place during the years you're supposed to spending having and raising children.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pedantic Turkey
Kids.

People have fewer children much later in life, so dogs and cats with big eyes and childlike faces take their place during the years you're supposed to spending having and raising children.

I am not smart enough to have children.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't care for dogs, but at least I never hear people bitching about the cost and attention they require, as they too often do about children. I suppose people weigh the decision to get a dog more carefully.

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't trust people who don't like dogs.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brad
I don't trust people who don't like dogs.

I would amend that slightly. I don't trust people who grew up with dogs and still don't like them. I sort of understand why people who don't have much exposure to dogs would find them distasteful--I have a friend who grew up with no pets at all, and he finds the whole concept strange and off-putting. Intellectually, I get it. But I grew up with both cats and dogs, and love them both.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
I would amend that slightly. I don't trust people who grew up with dogs and still don't like them. I sort of understand why people who don't have much exposure to dogs would find them distasteful--I have a friend who grew up with no pets at all, and he finds the whole concept strange and off-putting. Intellectually, I get it. But I grew up with both cats and dogs, and love them both.

Still I have to say that human being dragged soomewhere by the dog is not nearly as marsupialed looking as a primate (also known as human)riding on top of "odd toed" mammal (also known as horse).

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster

Intellectually, I can understand being of afraid of some dogs. But, I don't trust people who dismiss dogs out of hand.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never grew up with a dog or a cat, the closest thing that came to it was a pet turtle.

However, my girlfriend has a dog, and most recently at work the office manager brought his dog into work, and I found that dogs were pretty cool. I'm still kinda awkward with getting them to lick me, or picking them up (they feel weeeird), but it's still pretty neat. I wouldn't mind having a dog if I had my own place, however the extra expense of food, vet bills, etc. kinda turns me off of them.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
Still I have to say that human being dragged soomewhere by the dog is not nearly as marsupialed looking as a primate (also known as human)riding on top of "odd toed" mammal (also known as horse).
What about tortoises?
2310621035_4a53de7db9.jpg

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love dogs, particularly big ones. However, I don't care much for cleaning up after them, if I lived somewhere with plenty of open space to let a dog run loose, I'd gladly get one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads