• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do people make fun of others that buy quality things?

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i bought the same vacuum from a chinese repair guy who has garage sales outside his house every weekend... for $80. It took some knock down drag out AZN to AZN haggling (to the embarrassment of my wife).

but the only time people will make fun is if you actually say the price of things. so if someone asks me how much my aldens costs, i just say: 'i don't remember".

computerpro3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
i bought the same vacuum from a chinese repair guy who has garage sales outside his house every weekend... for $80. It took some knock down drag out AZN to AZN haggling (to the embarrassment of my wife).

but the only time people will make fun is if you actually say the price of things. so if someone asks me how much my aldens costs, i just say: 'i don't remember".

While you did save a lot of money, I bought mine from a local dealer who's been in business for over 50 years. He gave me brand new warranty paper so I have a full warranty on the entire machine, which was important to me.

I guess you make a good point about the price though. But I don't get why they ask if they are just going to ridicule...

bkk

Reaction score
Its a combination of Americans wanting anything that is "luxury" and not knowing what true quality is. Coach bags have a high price because of the name, not the materials or the craftsmanship. But who recognizes that? They just want the name and that damned "C" pattern, and its easily attained through a credit card swipe. Why think about the credit card debt that is mounting?

On a similar note, rapper Birdman recently purchased a 2 million dollar Veyron. For some reason, its not even the SS edition. Bankruptcy in 3... 2... 1... http://www.extravaganzi.com/rapper-b...ugatti-veyron/

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
they're uneducated (so they assume you just spent more money to get the same thing they have) and/or insecure about themselves.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ppl r mean

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Haters gonna hate. It's just how life works.

It's usually a potent brew of jealousy, ignorance, offense, and resentment that inspires the hate. But that's not important. What is important is that, if you can afford nice things in life, and if those nice things make your life better or happier than less-nice things would, then so be it. You shouldn't have to apologize for your tastes, so long as you have the means to feed them, and so long as you're being humble and not parading your things in people's faces.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by computerpro3
While you did save a lot of money, I bought mine from a local dealer who's been in business for over 50 years. He gave me brand new warranty paper so I have a full warranty on the entire machine, which was important to me.

I guess you make a good point about the price though. But I don't get why they ask if they are just going to ridicule...

remember its a repairman i bought it from. so i have the "this motherfucking thing is broken pls fix plz" warranty from him.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
He eventually asked me how much it cost and I told him that I got it for about half the price or retail since I bought it used. He looked at me and told me I was a complete idiot for spending $450 on a vacuum.

Stuff like this happens to me all the time, ranging from my Thinkpad, to the Glaser bag I'm considering, a quality keyboard for my desktop, my audio system, clothing, etc, etc.

I just don't get it.

No need to share the price of your stuff or explain why you bought it. People may notice your stuff but there's no need to discuss it.

CHenry

Reaction score
I have a Miele canister that is now 18 years old. When I bought it, it cost more than Kenmore--probably at least twice the price-- and others, yet was still cheaper than the Rainbow and other machines of questionable quality. It still runs fine and cleans well and even looks good, despite never being babied. When I went looking for an upright sweeper for another part of my home this year, I bought a Miele. It wasn't cheap, but then I wasn't necessarily wanting a cheap sweeper, I was looking for one that I wouldn't need to replace.

A good used sweeper with a warranty is still a good sweeper. And you saved some money, too. What is wrong with that? Same goes for laundry machines. New ones are very nice, but you can get very good machines from people looking to move for a fraction of the new price.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
haters_gonna_hate.gif

I paid full price for my Miele and I haven't had a problem with it after several years. Worth every penny. Everyone told me I was crazy and guess what, some of those haters now own the same Miele after their third vacuum broke on them. Even the Miele feels a little cheap compared to really old vacuums, but it still does its job despite moderate abuse.

If you buy quality, you should only need to buy a couple in your lifetime, so I don't even sweat shopping around too hard to save $100. I'd rather spend the extra money buying locally. One thing I can't stand is people who go check out a product locally then go buy it online to save $25 after shipping.

I don't tell people how much stuff costs and if they really want to know, I just tell them it's the only one I plan on buying in my entire lifetime and is cheaper in the long run. Whatever, they can hate all they want on those inconvenient trips back to the repair shop.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While you did save a lot of money, I bought mine from a local dealer who's been in business for over 50 years. He gave me brand new warranty paper so I have a full warranty on the entire machine, which was important to me. I guess you make a good point about the price though. But I don't get why they ask if they are just going to ridicule...
thats the thing... when you answer someone like that (the whole thing about warranty and local dealer with 50 years of service) you open yourself to being resented (like mentioning the hefty price you might have paid for a quality item) which results in people trying to make light of what you purchased. sure someone who's in the know about that particular vacuum cleaner will be impressed (a lot of people on this forum), but to the average joe they'll get all "what do you thinkya betta than me?"

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe because a vacuum or shoes arent the things THEY spend their money on? I encounter it all the time among my friends, they spend $25,000 on a car (on 60 month financing) and then they think spending more than $25 on pants is crazy...

Most have a big TV, the newest Apple iGadget, and a new car. I have a 14 year old car, a basic phone I'll keep until it dies, and no iGadgets or TV's...I'd rather have a nicely tailored shirt or quality pair of shoes, money to go out with or take a short vacation. Different strokes..

turboman808

Reaction score
I truly just don't give a **** about your top of the line vacuum. I don't see why anyone would.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads