Why do people make fun of others that buy quality things?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by computerpro3, Aug 21, 2010.

1. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

Stop guys, if I hear any more sob stories about how people don't properly appreciate your bespoke vacuum cleaners I'm going to shed a tear.

2. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Stop guys, if I hear any more sob stories about how people don't properly appreciate your bespoke vacuum cleaners I'm going to shed a tear.

But..... I bought a $500 pen and nobody appreciates it! Even AFTER I tell them how much it cost! What is a guy to do? [​IMG] Nobody gets me.

3. computerpro3

computerpro3 Senior member

But..... I bought a $500 pen and nobody appreciates it! Even AFTER I tell them how much it cost! What is a guy to do? [​IMG] Nobody gets me.
    People like you take this kind of thing for granted - it has nothing to do with cost other than the fact that oftentimes you must pay for quality. Take culinary school for example - you were surrounded for years by people that appreciated the subtlety in a wonderful foie gras, or the peppery goodness of a nice olive oil. Good for you. I was not. I have nobody that I can even enjoy a good meal with - they either won't spend for it, or won't try half of the things if I offer to pay (OMG, that came from the OCEAN? EWWWWW). Try explaining to your average person why you go the extra mile to import a nice oil instead of buying Bertoli at the local store, and maybe you'll understand. Then, extrapolate that to literally every area of your life. In short, you basically have nothing in common with 99.99999% of people.

4. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

computerpro, in which area of the country do you live?

5. computerpro3

computerpro, in which area of the country do you live?

6. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

I am originally from CT, but now I am stuck in godforsaken Cincinnati, OH.

Well, that doesn't help.

7. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

^^ nightlife in cincinnati sounds awful. Columbus is marginally better, in that downtown might die around 4-5, but the "arena district" & "short north" are both very busy well past midnight. The food is still an issue, however. Many around here consider Brio to be high-end food. [​IMG] But you should see the city when an Ohio State game starts. Dead. Literally, no one is on the street for those ~3 hours. It's eerie really.

8. Joe Cool

Joe Cool Senior member

I don't walk around telling people - they ask about it 95% of the time. Shit like "Wow, that's a big projector screen you have, how much did that cost?". Or my personal favorite, "Are your speakers Bose? Must have cost a fortune!"

The only depressing thing is that there is literally nobody that I know in real life that appreciates quality to the extent I can talk about it.

And since 99% of material things in my life are carefully chosen like that (it's a hobby of sorts), it gets lonely sometimes.

Sounds like you DO walk around telling people all the detail$ of your creature comforts and hobbies and then enjoy bitching about what a drag it is on the interwebz.

Stop sharing all this information with your buddies and the problem goes away [​IMG]

9. turboman808

turboman808 Senior member

Sounds like you DO walk around telling people all the detail$ of your creature comforts and hobbies and then enjoy bitching about what a drag it is on the interwebz.

Stop sharing all this information with your buddies and the problem goes away [​IMG]

Stop sharing so your home doesn't get robbed.

10. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

I am originally from CT, but now I am stuck in godforsaken Cincinnati, OH. .

What is dating like over there for you?
    Is it shooting fish in a barrel? B/c you're competing with a bunch of hicks?
    Or is it hard, b/c are you a "geek" and "weird"? (He likes wearing a jacket? Ewww....)
    Give some specifics like your last post, which was quite informative.

11. holymadness

Simple explanation: for most people, beyond basic utility, value is determined by peer perception. They lack either the patience, willingness, or ability to develop a taste for things. When they do indulge in luxuries that happen to be truly special, it's invariably because a desire for status or prestige led them to it, and then they only feign appreciation. The truth is they can't tell the difference at all. This describes 90% of all BigLaw lawyers.
    I seem to recall you let a bunch of internet posters convince you there was something wrong with your fancy new couch. [​IMG] Good thing you're immune to peer perception, unlike most people.
    ^^^ I sympathize. I hate talking to people about anything I enjoy because it's almost guaranteed that I'll get annoyed by their pomposity and posturing. Ignorance is forgivable--we each have different interests, after all--but snobbery disgusts me. My real issue is when people project their own snobbery onto me. The acquaintances that know I like watches, clothes, food, etc., often assume I like them for status-oriented reasons. On the occasions where I actually try to explain why I like certain things, I tend to draw blank, confused stares. Usually, I just nod and smile, then try to change the subject.
    So the prentension of accumulating things because you appreciate them is more virtuous than the pretension of accumulating things to signal status?
    In short, you basically have nothing in common with 99.99999% of people.
    When 99.999999% of your personality is defined by your consumption of material goods, I can see how it would be pretty tough to get along with people too. I tend to look for friends with a good sense of humour rather than ones who can distinguish between several varieties of truffle oil.

12. computerpro3

When 99.999999% of your personality is defined by your consumption of material goods, I can see how it would be pretty tough to get along with people too. I tend to look for friends with a good sense of humour rather than ones who can distinguish between several varieties of truffle oil.

13. holymadness

I have met a great number of people, friends and not, who can appreciate a good sunrise. Those same people, unfortunately, seem unable to transfer this skill to 6 pairs of identical shoes and German vacuum cleaners. Clearly their loss.

14. computerpro3

Clearly their loss.

I would say so. What is life without appreciation? Wake up, go to work, eat, sleep, fuck, reproduce, die. It's the little things that count, and without that, where's the romance?

15. holymadness

So people who can't appreciate the same things as you are eating/shitting machines leading pointless existences? I am beginning to understand now. The unenlightened curs, how dare they sully your Disney-esque life of romance with their drab mediocrity. No better than cattle.