• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do people make flippant promises?

bluemax

Reaction score
Is it unreasonable to expect someone to do something they say they'll do? I'm not talking about elected politicians, but rather friends and acquaintances. I don't know if it's a product of modern society or if I'm just young and naive and people have always been this way, but I find all too often people will agree to something and just not follow through. They'll conveniently forget when I bring the topic up later. If you don't actually mean to do something, then don't say you will. If you've actually forgotten about it, that tells me you weren't serious to begin with, and you're making flippant promises, which to me is disrespectful. You won't lose my respect if you insert a "maybe" or "possibly" into your agreement, but you will if you agree to something and don't do it. Whatever happened to courtesy, honor, and reputation? Do people not value these things anymore? The Sarcastic Generation (my own Gen Y) seems to be free of guilt and any sense of responsibility and respect when making promises. Their word is worth nothing. How can someone make flippant promises and not expect people to think ill of them? Am I expecting too much of people?

danyllau

Reaction score
There are also those who alway sounds indecisive. They do not make any promise at all and left you without any expectation of them.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by danyllau
There are also those who alway sounds indecisive. They do not make any promise at all and left you without any expectation of them.

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think people "agree" to do things they never intend to do just to be polite. I seldom hear anyone "promise" to do anything.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you like someone to ask what happened for you to bring this up?

... let it all out.

dexterhaven

Reaction score
Some people are just wimpy and don't like to say yes or no.

Other people are inconsiderate and like to keep all their options open. They make multiple engagements so they can pick and choose the most appealing one when the time comes. This is a natural human tendency, I think. But it is also bad manners. Past generations seem to have realized this and tried worked against this tendency. Gen Y seems oblivious.

Star

Reaction score
You can't do much about it other than make a mental note of those people who do come through for you in life.

KFS

Reaction score
I haven't got the time to post an answer in full right now but I'll get back to you... I promise.

KhouriC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KFS
I haven't got the time to post an answer in full right now but I'll get back to you... I promise.

me too....

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dexterhaven
Other people are inconsiderate and like to keep all their options open. They make multiple engagements so they can pick and choose the most appealing one when the time comes. This is a natural human tendency, I think. But it is also bad manners. Past generations seem to have realized this and tried worked against this tendency. Gen Y seems oblivious.

I disagree about it being human nature. It's learned. My mother taught me early on that this was not acceptable. Primary school probably.

I hate this behavior. I find it the height of rudeness. And I've told off two women, both of whom I desparately wanted to sleep with, for it. I basically told them to go to hell. It's not worth it to be treated like that.

I say stand up to it and tell your "friends" that in the future if they have no intention of following through, that it would polite to just not commit in the first place.

b

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm not sure if I'll respond to this thread yet. I'll let you know tomorrow night.

Orange

Reaction score
When a girl or a guy you just met (for a short time in a friendly fashion) tells you they'll call you I think a reasonable person would just take note of it but wouldn't waste time waiting for the call.

If your scenario is like this maybe you're just naive.

gsugsu

Reaction score
Sometimes it is cultural. When I worked in Latin America people would make plans for dinner or meetings and not show up. I took offense; I wondered why they didn't have the courtesy to show up. But later I was told that that was the way things are. No one takes offense if you say you will be there and don't show up. So it was me who had unrealistic expectations. But, that said, if I promise to do something or be somewhere then I try to meet that obligation to the best of my ability.

danyllau

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gsugsu
Sometimes it is cultural. When I worked in Latin America people would make plans for dinner or meetings and not show up. I took offense; I wondered why they didn't have the courtesy to show up. But later I was told that that was the way things are. No one takes offense if you say you will be there and don't show up. So it was me who had unrealistic expectations. But, that said, if I promise to do something or be somewhere then I try to meet that obligation to the best of my ability.
Further reinforced my uninformed views of that part of the world....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads