• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do people hate on jeans like rock & republics and sfam?

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Interesting points. For me -- quality and fit notwithstanding -- I also stay loyal to particular brands because of my past dealings with them. I'm sentimental like that.
smile.gif

braidkid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Denimbar

WHo is that girl Braidkid ???

Just my 3 am booty call.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so many amjacks in this thread.....
my girlfriend couldn't care what brands i was wearing... she thinks i have too much brand loyalty though...

if you need amjack clothes to get you girls you are pathetic.... and a typical bro, which makes me wonder how you even found this forum? Or are at all interested?

Seriously pathetic

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
CS- who are you talking about?

Braidkid- so the magazine is under the bed...lol

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I think anti-brand loyalty is pretty powerful for guys as well. Until recently, when I just gave in to her, my girlfriend was begging me to let her buy me some A&F cargo shorts and wear them. I fought her tooth and nail, kept telling her no, no, I will never, ever wear A&F, etc. Her response: "But it is so popular in Korea!" Which just so happened to be my main complaint about it here. But I guess it's moot now, since I bitched out and agreed to wear them in the summer. WITH FLIP FLOPS. Caveat: I will be living on a tropical island.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I actually frequently wear a shirts from UO, h&m, sometimes an american eagle one (no logo). I haven't seen many people here shying away from brands that offer all the things that they want just because they're popular. I almost bought a western shirt from american eagle because i liked the color pattern while shopping with my ex-gf but it fit kinda blousy. Why do people who know they listen to bad music/like bad clothes launch the same "you just like something because it's not popular" attack? Most of the regulars are pretty grounded in their fashion hobby when it comes to brands but if you disliked more expensive fashion, i can see why you'd instantly accuse everyone of just like niche brands.

The thing is, i could care less about people who aren't interested in fashion (like all of my friends). I have zero hate or judgement towards them. Sometimes i'll encourage them to wear different shoes besides this hideous pair my roomate has, and he's also bought a pair of cheap dark indigo levis instead of the really faded ones he had but never do i care what they're wearing. I do feel bad for guys who spend a ton on the expensive ugly amjack brands because they'd probably look the same for cheaper just doing the same thing by shopping at express rather than affliction/7fam/tr/ed hardy/etc...

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I personally don't like telling my friends what to wear because they don't listen that much anyway. Whatever is in (Vans canvas, patterned hoodies, etc), that is what they usually purchase. I can't say they look too bad but some diversity would definitely spruce things up.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
I do feel bad for guys who spend a ton on the expensive ugly amjack brands because they'd probably look the same for cheaper just doing the same thing by shopping at express rather than affliction/7fam/tr/ed hardy/etc...

I hear ya... that's my feeling towards guys who spend a ton on (insert subjective putdowns here) shoes from ninja-goth brands because they'd probably look the same (or better) for cheaper just doing the same thing by shopping at vintage/thrift stores (or you know, actually wear their shoes hard) rather than CCP, Carpe Diem, M.A.+ etc.

Disclaimer: of course they're not perfect substitutes, but neither are Express jeans to the amjacks brands (see RyeGB and LAGuy's posts in the first few pages). ]

Point is, you (I'm not generalizing this to others, BTW) detest said brands because amjacks you know wear them, just like how you dislike Onitsuka because frat boys in UF rock 'em shoes. If you tell me otherwise, then you're just argueing in circle. And please don't preach about value to me, bud.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
Steering off-topic a bit, what are your thoughts on brand loyalty? If the brand continues producing well cut clothing with high quality, would that just justify perpetually purchasing from the brand?

To an extent. If I buy a shirt from "Brand A" and it's high quality, reasonably priced, good cut, etc then next time I'm looking for another item I will check that brand out again. It wouldn't make me buy an item I didn't like, nothing could do that, but it does keep the brand 'on my radar' when shopping, and thus I may buy from them over and over again.

The same, or rather the opposite, is true with brands like A&F, Kenneth Cole, etc. I've been let down so many times by the brand that I don't generally look for items there.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onion
To an extent. If I buy a shirt from "Brand A" and it's high quality, reasonably priced, good cut, etc then next time I'm looking for another item I will check that brand out again. It wouldn't make me buy an item I didn't like, nothing could do that, but it does keep the brand 'on my radar' when shopping, and thus I may buy from them over and over again.

The same, or rather the opposite, is true with brands like A&F, Kenneth Cole, etc. I've been let down so many times by the brand that I don't generally look for items there.

Does that mean I'm the only one who keeps certain brands partly due to sentimentality?
bounce2.gif

mr.loverman

Reaction score
if you go too far with not washing your jeans they will wear out more quickly than if you wash them because the dirt gets in between the cotton fibers and abrades them.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
whacked- I never said i just don't like onitsukas because frat boys. That doesn't help, but i also don't like the ultra slim, form fitting look to them. Nor do i really care for the little swoosh type thing on them. I don't really like vans slip ons either, but not because every other person has them but because i tried them on and they almost felt/looked socklike to me. I dunno. I'm also not talking about detsting brands because of who wears them. Clothes like ed hardy tshirts and ill fitting, ugly pocketed, weird distressed TRs don't really need me to associate them with a person. Plus, i rarely see people on campus wear "amjack" brands.

About achieving the same "look". Most of the guys i know (some casual friends) do it more for the brands because they think those brands show that you care about fashion, more so than achieving some kind of amjack look. Desire to have certain brands seem to create the look more so than trying to achieve a certain look so they have to buy brands like affliction/7fam/tr/edhardy. Media and popular culture play a large role in it to as there are countless websites for women (and men to a lesser extent) devoted to finding the exact jeans that cameron diaz wore or the button down that hugh jackman wore.

I just think there are a lot of people who really don't care for fashion outside of the cheaper bang for buck brands like levis/frye and other functional brands and that's ok. The problem lies when those people use threads like these that pop up every few months or one of rye's fits to try and label people hypocrites and brand whores just like amjacks.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr.loverman
if you go too far with not washing your jeans they will wear out more quickly than if you wash them because the dirt gets in between the cotton fibers and abrades them.

You ain't kidding.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought a couple pairs of rock 'n republic because I got them at 50% off. One has the RR skull logo on the pockets and the other has the "royal"-type RR logo in velvet. I bought them because they fit better than most other jeans I've tried, the washes are fine (although I think overdone) and of the course, the discount. I certainly wouldnt' have paid full retail for them. If I had a choice I would eliminate the back pocket embroidery entirely, but it's not such a deal killer to me. You might think I'm a douche for wearing the jeans (I am far from AmJack), but same can be said about guys who avoid non-designer jeans and still look foolish in certain styles, regardless of brand. Fit is most important to me, and so far, I've found it in RR and although celebrity hype is a big turn off for me in most instances, RR fits me best.

I suppose I see the arguments in SD against brands like RR, but at 50% off, they're great. I have a pair of raw Nudie's I bought a year and a half ago. I only wear jeans on weekends, and I can't be bothered only wearing Nudie's just to break them in. Plus they are still damn stiff and haven't stretched out as much as I'm presuming they should. So unfortunately, they remain a bit tight and not my "go to" denim.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics