Why do people hate on jeans like rock & republics and sfam?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jok5tr, Apr 1, 2008.

1. skunkworks

skunkworks Senior member

I think of brand whores as people who think they know about style but don't really know shit about it, so they fake it by buying fashionable labels. It's just a dummy's guide to dressing yourself, that's all.

2. braidkid

braidkid Senior member

It sucks when a guy wants to branch off on his own but he nagging ass GF or wife says " Oh Johnny what is KMW why don't you wear these OMG they are seven's I love seven's"
    9 out of 10 times the poor SOB gets nothing because he is torn. it's sad very very sad.

This makes me want to drink heavily tonight for all of man kind.

3. modagg

modagg Senior member

A little off topic, but RLPL has their custom fit stuff that fits a little slimmer in the body and such. You might want to give that a try next time.

I was actually looking into black label and well try that out once the 30% off f&f thing comes around next time. I think they fit slimmer but there not handmade.

So the only reason she likes the RL shirt is the little polo pony on the front? A well fitted shirt isn't enough for her? She has to see branding to accept it?

Well actually purple label doesn't have a pony on the chest, she asked me why and I laughed. She doesn't realize its a $300+ shirt (retail, got it on sale; see i do listen sf)

4. Mauro

Mauro Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    Skunkworks- they are called US Weekly Girls

Braidkid- it eats at my very soul. I wish I had a tazer in the store.

5. Clench Million

Clench Million Senior member

I have 2 pair of AG's, a pair of 7FAM, and a pair of R&Rs. Why you ask? because they fit me. I would love to wear APC, Dior, 5EP, etc but I just cant. They just dont fit or look good on me. I am not going to not get a certain brand because say the 'Posers' have them. Hell Levis dont even look good on me and there supposed to look good on everyone. So its not fair to call everyone who wears "Mall Brand" jeans a poser.
    As someone else said, APC, Dior and the rest all of different cuts and styles. I find it completely improbable that you have can't find any good jeans that fit and that R&R and 7FAM are the only jean companies that make denim cut to fit your bizarre alien body. But who knows....

6. Clench Million

She likes my rlpl dress shirt not because it fits perfectly but because its ralph lauren.

You have a completely vapid girlfriend. What exactly do you want us to say?

7. Jokerman

Jokerman Senior member

Poser.

Say what you want but I buy them because I like them not because other people wear them. If I was one of these 'Posers' I would also be decked out in hollister, Abrocombie&Fitch, and aeropastale. I dont though because I actually have some fashion sense. Im just trying to tell you there are people out there who buy for reasons other then looking like others. I live in an area where we dont have a lot of choices in clothing stores so I dont have access to nudies, APC, 5EP, etc. My size varies in all sorts of jeans and its hard to find a pair of jeans from a lot of company's online in my size since its an uncommon one.

8. Clench Million

Yes, I already edited my post to remove that. I don't know if I"d call people "posers" for wearing anything. That is like a middle school taunt. I just thought your explanation of why you weren't a poser, in your words, was funny.

Buy some APCs. They will stretch to accomadate you.

9. onion

onion Senior member

Say what you want but I buy them because I like them not because other people wear them. If I was one of these 'Posers' I would also be decked out in hollister, Abrocombie&Fitch, and aeropastale. I dont though because I actually have some fashion sense. Im just trying to tell you there are people out there who buy for reasons other then looking like others. I live in an area where we dont have a lot of choices in clothing stores so I dont have access to nudies, APC, 5EP, etc. My size varies in all sorts of jeans and its hard to find a pair of jeans from a lot of company's online in my size since its an uncommon one.

Just an fyi....

I don't know a single store remotely close to me that carries 99% of the brands that make up my wardrobe, and I live in a city with 1.5 million people. I'm like a lot of people on SF, too. Do some research and it's almost impossible to order the wrong size in almost anything.

10. modagg

modagg Senior member

You have a completely vapid girlfriend. What exactly do you want us to say?

No need to insult her, she is an interesting person and really, really hot and who the fuck says vapid. I haven't heard that word since 1867, u look so smart and intellectual. Seriously your my hero, I want to be just like u when I grow up.

But last time I checked, just about every lady is "vapid"; she is in no way outside the norm

11. Clench Million

No need to insult her, she is an interesting person and really, really hot and who the fuck says vapid. I haven't heard that word since 1867, u look so smart and intellectual. Seriously your my hero, I want to be just like u when I grow up.

But last time I checked, just about every lady is "vapid"; she is in no way outside the norm

You are the one who defined your girlfriend as someone who only likes things based on their brand name. But hey, I guess its easy for you. You can just stitch a little polo player onto some garbage bags and never have to worry about buying clothes again.

If you think all women are vapid maybe you need to find some new people to hang out with.

12. Mauro

Mauro Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    I just like looking at braidkid's avatar

13. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

Denimbar kind of reinforces my original point, which is that women like clothes with which they are familiar. I don't believe it's because all of these women are stupid or vapid, it's just that they are influenced by popular culture and the mass media.

While it is certainly possible to find women who share a similar clothing aesthetic to the majority of posters on this forum, by limiting yourself to that group, you are eliminating a large portion of the female population from your target audience.

Considering that it's already tough enough to get laid as a single male, simple mathematics suggest that it's a better bet to wear clothing they will recognize and to which they will be attracted.

14. modagg

modagg Senior member

You are the one who defined your girlfriend as someone who only likes things based on their brand name. But hey, I guess its easy for you. You can just stitch a little polo player onto some garbage bags and never have to worry about buying clothes again.

If you think all women are vapid maybe you need to find some new people to hang out with.

Now I would make sure the polyethylene was imported from japan and that it was dipped in indigo 37 times by a 80 year old asian man and it would be cut slim as fuck. Now regarding the non- vapid females, their are some; there called fat chicks but dont u fret, they need love too.

15. Clench Million

I guess I have to disagree that it is hard to get laid. It is quite easy to get laid if youa are at least moderately attractive and have low standards (which seem to be what you are advocating.)

I mean, bumping uglies with random bitches is bumping uglies with random bitches, I guess all that matters is that they are hot. But if we are talking about relationships here, I think you want someone who is going to be an interesting person, not some bro-ho with a manufactered TV personality.

Sure, this is just styleforum, but style extends, I think, beyond just clothing. People should strive to read good books and watching good movies and eat good and interesting food and so on.