• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do people choose to avoid alcohol other than medical reasons?

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blank
Good thing this never happens when we drink legally.

Same. I'm glad nobody gets drunk and beats their wife.

I thought it went without saying that I am not glad when people who turn mean when drunk drink...

MrSmith2U

Reaction score
Sir,

This question has been a wonder to one for some decades.

When father introduced to one the peaty aromas of Talisker all those years ago, it could never have been expected that one's perseverance would take a drinking trajectory that arrived at the genteel locus one inhabits today.

Perseverance is the key, my boy; perseverance.

yours,

Smith.

PS. My fifteen year old has recently attuned well to the Speyside arts.

cjbreed

Reaction score
^^that post doesn't make any sense.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cjbreed
^^that post doesn't make any sense.

I get it. Persevere.
smile.gif

mr.loverman

Reaction score
i have tendencies for binge drinking but sometimes i go for long periods of sobriety. overall i think if you are born with a risk taking personality you have to indulge it to a certain extent. for me if i don't let out my wild energy i will end up getting depressed or i'll go on an apeshit bender after trying to keep it in.also if i don't drink for a while, i get really into extreme sports which is probably more dangerous.

i think as long as you don't let the substances get in the way of your goals your set. maintain your relationships with friends and family, have a good career, etc.

try to avoid blackouts, don't drink everyday, maintain a good physique.

the stress and anxiety from trying to be perfect can be worse than smoking or drinking.

use self discipline to stay in control. i eat really healthy and work out a lot so i can afford to have fun with booze and what have you on the weekends. its a lot more fun to be out with friends and get drunk than it is to stay home and eat junkfood and be fat. choose your vices wisely.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
because it makes you fat and ruins your cardio

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reasons for not drinking:

1) Friend/relative was killed by a drunk driver
2) Muslims (supposedly) don't drink - Mormon's, too.
3) Don't like the feeling of not being clear headed
4) Don't like wasting the next day, or not being 100% the next day. I can't think 100% the next day and don't feel 100%, even if I have just two drinks. That limits my drinking.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong though, as soon as I'm back in fighting shape I'm going to drink like a ******* fish

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fredfred

1) Friend/relative was killed by a drunk driver
3) Don't like the feeling of not being clear headed
4) Don't like wasting the next day, or not being 100% the next day. I can't think 100% the next day and don't feel 100%, even if I have just two drinks. That limits my drinking.

lol8[1].gif

WTF has this got to do with anything . In case you have a reason to argue with one he will have the clearer head?
Many Muslims I have met have been drinkers.

Diem

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fredfred

What?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I don't really drink cuz of all the hardcore I listened to as a kid...blame Minor Threat

none of my friends are drunkards either, most of them are light social drinkers or non-drinkers because they're in "the program"

I have an occasional drink socially but never get drunk, at most just the slightest bit warmed up

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great post by the OP.

I tend to agree with you personally, but I certainly respect someone who doesn't indulge and would have no problem being friends with them. I know some in the Skeptic community like to always have a sharp sense of understanding, and I think this is an admirable position, even if I am little more relaxed about it.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blank
Good thing this never happens when we drink legally.

I wasn't talking about alcohol anywhere in that post only marijuana. I don't see any real point in this comment especially as it was never intended to be directed to you.

Originally Posted by Opermann
I read and checked out your websites/ studies.

I agree partially, and I definitely acknowledge that there are many ways to ingest circumenting smoking. How people consume them it is their choice and while smoking is the most common way to consume marijuana, there's safer alternatives. Also, I agree the 2002 study's statement on strength of pot over the years is a faulty assumption with little evidence (I wasn't really pointing out that statement).

I smoke it infrequently and do not mind the risks as I feel the reward outweigh the risk based on my consumption level. Mainly (like you state) there's risks involved with any substance and varies greatly accordingly. It's a personal decision up to the user to determine whether the reward overcomes any inherent risks involved. I don't judge people's decisions either way, as long as they've at least considered them.

mr.loverman

Reaction score
the whole fat argument is stupid. if you work out and eat healthy then drinking on the weekends will not make you fat. if you are fat and not happy about it, just keep exercising your will and eventually you will get it under control.

i just think that life is uncertain. perfection is an illusion. the things you chase in life rarely leave you satisfied for long. drinking seems to defy some of the rules that make happiness so fleeting in sobriety. it sort of stops time and lets your mind and body rest.

i also think that alchohol and drugs have spiritual qualities and can help get your mind out of a rut and can give you perspective on life. that's one of the reason's i don't think they should be consumed every day . i mean there are tons of native peoples who use intoxicants to gain wisdom. its kinda like rebooting a computer or changing the oil in the car. i think that after a while certain thought processes can make your brain get fouled up and stagnant.

moderation is key i guess.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics