• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do my collars look like this...?

sonvolt10

Reaction score
Invariably, whatever dress shirt I've bought (Lewin, Armani, Tyrwhitt, Boss, etc.) or had made (Jantzaen, MyTailor, Saks, etc.) my collars wind up looking terrible with the button area bending and folding down. It looks very sloppy and ill fitting. Why???

How do I get a shirt collar that lays flat and looks clean and neat?

(A related question: Why do collars such as this one that appear large enough to wear comfortably, still wind up stangling me?)

This a Lewin shirt that was received 2 weeks ago and laundered one time. (I loosened my tie so the problem is clear)

Attachment 17149

rexor12

Reaction score
I get exactly the same problem with some of my shirts. Im thinking it has something to do with ironing and then hanging on in an improper way. Because it usually happens after washing a brand new shirt

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
rexor may have a point. Do you button the collar when you hang your shirts and use a decent shaped hanger?

sonvolt10

Reaction score
This particular shirt was folded after being laundered.

Usually, I will leave the shirt on the wired hanger from the cleaners.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When the cleaners irons (steams it actually) it they dont take care to fold the collar along the seam where it is joined to the shirt. so the shirt rolls by the collar and pulls the rest of it down.

If they would fold it sharply at the seam you would have less of this problem.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FIHTies
When the cleaners irons (steams it actually) it they dont take care to fold the collar along the seam where it is joined to the shirt. so the shirt rolls by the collar and pulls the rest of it down.

If they would fold it sharply at the seam you would have less of this problem.

This makes the most sense to me.

Sterling Gillette

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This happens due to incorrect fit in the neck area. Your collar band seems to wide so that it rumples slightly when you fasten your tie knot in order to achieve the width that would be right for you. The curling above the top button is simply a result of the button placement being wrong for your neck.

Chouse

Reaction score
Could be button placement as mentioned before. But I also had this happen with shirts that were simply a little bit too tight with too small neck size...

Smahatma

Reaction score
Mine do the exact same when laundered by the local cleaners. If I wash and iron them myself, taking care to press the collar properly, I have no such issue.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Proper laundering and pressing is the solution. Poor construction is the cause. Most of the brands mentioned are fused collars and the fusing shrinks. The outside edge of the collar leaf becomes smaller from shrinkage and it pulls and bends the collar band. That is why your collars are too small after laundering as well.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smahatma
Mine do the exact same when laundered by the local cleaners. If I wash and iron them myself, taking care to press the collar properly, I have no such issue.

I get this problem on some of my collars that are slightly large and when I don't iron them properly in this area.

It's not as big of a problem on the better fitting collars or when I iron carefully around the area.

spatten

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sterling Gillette
This happens due to incorrect fit in the neck area. Your collar band seems to wide so that it rumples slightly when you fasten your tie knot in order to achieve the width that would be right for you. The curling above the top button is simply a result of the button placement being wrong for your neck.

At first this seemed like a plausible answer to me, but then I couldn't fathom what would be unique about his neck that would cause the neck band to be too wide.

Rather it does look like the collar is pulling the collar band down. I could see this happening because of either poor ironing, or because one side of the collar shrink when fused and sewn.

It's actually rather tricky to sew a fused collar so that it doesn't curve, as one side (the noninterfaced side) stretches more than the interfaced side.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yep, agreed-- because you have your shirts sent out for cleaning, and they mash the **** out of the collars to finish them. Good shirt laungering is hard to find, in my opinion.

You can either steam iron the unfolded collars out on your ironing board at home before putting them back on the hangers (I did this for a while, and it corrects the problem) or better yet launder and iron at home. i went to the latter and have not regretted it since, other than my Saturday mornings are a little busier at home (well, when I'm not working overseas).

Cordovan

Reaction score
+1

Sending shirts out to the dry cleaner will do this.

Cordovan

Ricardo Malocchio

Reaction score
All those brands have fused collars? Even Jantzens and Tyrwhitts? I'm truly surprised, and that's a deal-breaker for me.

After wrestling for far too long with these "one wash and they're ruined" shirts, I've only purchased Barbas, Borrellis, a couple of Isaias and 1 Kiton in the past few years.

And after having to re-press all the collar-mashed shirts I'd get back from the cleaners, I started laundering my own. After doing this a couple of times, I've found it to be so easy. 1. Treat collar/cuff/underarm stains with Oxyclean, Borax soap, etc. 2. Wash like-colored shirts in gentle cycles with Tide-Free or similar. 3. Smooth out the damp shirt and hang it over a chair or on a hanger until it's nearly dry. 4. Iron while still slightly damp (makes it much easier) and put it on a hanger with collar button-buttoned and collar carefully folded into position.

So, basically, buy shirts with better collars and care for them yourself (though I remain surprised that all those brands have fused collars... ugh!).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads