• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do I fit so well in size 36 pants, but my waist is low 40s?

TyroneFig

Reaction score
So I never measured my waisted before,
all my pants are usually size 36 (sometimes 34 in jeans but they stretch out to fit which I like) and they fit great. Size 38 pants are actually too big a little bit. But I measured my waist tonight and it's in the low 40s.. what's going on?

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two possibilities.

1. You're wearing American clothes, which are too big.
2. You're mismeasuring.

laphroaig

Reaction score
Q. Do you know where your waist is?
smile.gif
A. It's an inch or two above your belly button.

TyroneFig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JibranK
Two possibilities.

1. You're wearing American clothes, which are too big.
2. You're mismeasuring.

Well I doubt that I am holding thing too loose that's for sure.
So they're making clothes that make fat people feel less fat than they really are?
Shame really. I need more motivation to lose weight.

An inch or two above my belly button? Sheesh I barely wear it an inch below the belly button (usually I wear on the hips or below the belly button like in between)

Well I remeasured, it got smaller but it's still in the 40ish area..

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vanity sizing is real. Some companies are worse then others.

Bend over at your side. You'll feel a bone above your hips. Your waist is the area above that bone. Most pants [almost all jeans] are some sort of low rise.

Your pant size should be 1" or so bigger then your actual waist. At least that used to be the way to measure. The 1" lets you eat lunch/dinner and not pop any buttons.

laphroaig

Reaction score
Trousers are tagged based on waist size but these days are worn just above the hips or lower, so the actual measurement will be usually around 2 inches larger, but it may be more for larger sizes. Sometimes, usually on some fashion brands, tagged sizing is a complete joke, called vanity sizing.

Bartolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyroneFig
Well I doubt that I am holding thing too loose that's for sure.
So they're making clothes that make fat people feel less fat than they really are?
Shame really. I need more motivation to lose weight.

An inch or two above my belly button? Sheesh I barely wear it an inch below the belly button (usually I wear on the hips or below the belly button like in between)

Well I remeasured, it got smaller but it's still in the 40ish area..

Does your belly hang over the waist of the pants? That's what it's sounding like if you wear your pants relatively low. Otherwise, it's the "vanity sizing" thing.

ChicagoJohn

Reaction score
I agree with vanity sizing. I'm a 33" waist but buy all my pants in 31s. Even Diesel jeans which I'd expect to run narrow I have to buy an inch or two smaller than my waist.

It's sad that menswear has come to this.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Everyone has 2 waist measurements. One, higher up at the fullest part of your stomach and over the love handles. This is your coat waist and this measure is used to determine the jacket girth at the buttoning waist of the jacket. This has nothing to do with the waist size of your trouser.
Trouser waist is taken several inches lower on your torso and very, very snug. Trouser waist could easily be 36 with a 40-42 coat waist. Everyone is a bit fleshy and the trouser will not feel tight until you feel pressure on the hip bone. Fleshy men wear the trouser rather snug, thin men need a little room over the hip bones.
I have a 7" difference between my coat waist and trouser waist and my trouser does not feel tight.
All this is normal except for guys without love handles or a bit of a stomach.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pickup a pair of Borrelli or Barba trousers NOT made for the US market. You'll be sizing up in no time.

Gameknight88

Reaction score
So I never measured my waisted before,
all my pants are usually size 36 (sometimes 34 in jeans but they stretch out to fit which I like) and they fit great. Size 38 pants are actually too big a little bit. But I measured my waist tonight and it's in the low 40s.. what's going on?
I am right there with you TyroneFig I am a size 36 and measure a 42 waist and 42 hip. And yes I was measured properly. I am definitely in the short but bulky category. My issue is how can you tell what measurements to give someone you are trying to order a suit from. I usually go by the assumption that if they are asking me for anything more specific than s/m/l. Than I am going to assume they will give me a proper pant size if I tell them I'm a 42 waist.
This has caused some errors on their part but they are usually fast to correct if it's an online ordeal. Good luck my friend!

SirNoble

Reaction score
You always get that person who says "you measured wrong" or "you don't know where your waist is". But actually there is a significant difference between actual measurement and waist size. Minimum is about 3 in, value brands tend to have a bigger difference. I wish people would think before answering questions "do I really know the answer? have I ever actually measured the waistline of my pants?" things like that before pretending you know something.

SirNoble

Reaction score
I am right there with you TyroneFig I am a size 36 and measure a 42 waist and 42 hip. And yes I was measured properly. I am definitely in the short but bulky category. My issue is how can you tell what measurements to give someone you are trying to order a suit from. I usually go by the assumption that if they are asking me for anything more specific than s/m/l. Than I am going to assume they will give me a proper pant size if I tell them I'm a 42 waist.
This has caused some errors on their part but they are usually fast to correct if it's an online ordeal. Good luck my friend!
Don't tell them you're a 42 waist. If you typically wear 36 then look for a 36 even though your waist will measure significantly higher.

SirNoble

Reaction score
Everyone has 2 waist measurements. One, higher up at the fullest part of your stomach and over the love handles. This is your coat waist and this measure is used to determine the jacket girth at the buttoning waist of the jacket. This has nothing to do with the waist size of your trouser.
Trouser waist is taken several inches lower on your torso and very, very snug. Trouser waist could easily be 36 with a 40-42 coat waist. Everyone is a bit fleshy and the trouser will not feel tight until you feel pressure on the hip bone. Fleshy men wear the trouser rather snug, thin men need a little room over the hip bones.
I have a 7" difference between my coat waist and trouser waist and my trouser does not feel tight.
All this is normal except for guys without love handles or a bit of a stomach.
He's saying the opposite, that his actual pants waist is more, not less than the labeled size. I don't think he or any man is pulling their pants up around their belly button. He's talking about the difference (which is a few inches depending on brand) between the size on the label and your actual measurement, which is indeed about 3-6 in depending on brand.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads