• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Why do I fit so well in size 36 pants, but my waist is low 40s?

PhoenixTechTV

Reaction score
Don't tell them you're a 42 waist. If you typically wear 36 then look for a 36 even though your waist will measure significantly higher.
Gents, I just found out about this thing called "Vanity Sizing". Its a made up false size to make the buyer feels good about purchasing. They all vary by actual size but from what I can assess its a 4 to 8 inch difference. I myself wear a 34 jean but measure 41 actual waist size. I only did the research because I was buying a weight lifting belt.... never figured that this was a thing

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
He's saying the opposite, that his actual pants waist is more, not less than the labeled size. I don't think he or any man is pulling their pants up around their belly button. He's talking about the difference (which is a few inches depending on brand) between the size on the label and your actual measurement, which is indeed about 3-6 in depending on brand.
I understand what he is saying. You aren't grasping what he is asking or my response.
The OP isn't questioning vanity sizing. He is asking why a 36" trouser fits when his waist measures 40".
Having a 40" waist and wearing a 36" trouser is pretty normal.

Last edited:

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does this phenomenon also exists with other things men use and rely on? Let’s say, oh I don’t know, condoms?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.