• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

why do dress pants have inside buttons or extra outside buttons?

bjswifty

Reaction score
How come dress pants usually have a button on the inside and a hook or button on the outside to hold them up? How about extra material and a 2nd outside button? I don't understand, is there any practical reason behind this?

Thanks,

bjswifty

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The inside button is there to hang the spare key to your Bentley if you are mugged. The outside hook tells others if you are gay.

Or are you referring to buttons to hold your shirt taught and prevent pillowing in higher quality formal ware?

bjswifty

Reaction score
Oh, no wonder one of my over friendly co-workers was seeming to hit on me one day when I forgot to wear in my belt.. I guess he noticed my extra outside hook.. haha. I do, however, like the spare key idea!

Rawling 4851

Reaction score
Why is this a problem? Is the extra fastener hindering your access to swift bjs?

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bjswifty
Oh, no wonder one of my over friendly co-workers was seeming to hit on me one day when I forgot to wear in my belt.. I guess he noticed my extra outside hook.. haha. I do, however, like the spare key idea!
Or because your name is BJ.

bjswifty

Reaction score
LOL.. No, it is not a problem, I don't think I was complaining, I just have always wondered. And no the way to get a swift bj is to use the zipper, or just don't wear pants in the first place!

Kraken

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bjswifty
And no the way to get a swift bj is to use the zipper

If we really want to address this subject properly, all scenarios need to be considered. If you are wearing Panta's with a button fly, then it may be faster to simply unbutton the waist buttons. Worked for me... gotta love that AF Blue lady killer.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.