• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

why do certain people seem to inherently exude style

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hullo SF,

So today I was hanging out with a friend who's an über-stylish looking mofo. I realized that he isn't wearing anything really "out there." For instance, today this kid was wearing a white oxford (buttoned all the way up), a gray cashmere (merino?) v-neck sweater, indigo Imperials (I think they were shearers, but they could've been dukes) that I recall him saying he's been wearing for 9 months without washing, and some very worn reddish-brown boots.

He seemed to be wearing pretty basic stuff, but I realized that I never look that good. Now, would this particular fit come off well because:
a)the kid's like 0% bodyfat, tan, tall, slim, etc
b)despite all his individual pieces being relatively basic, each is of high quality and well-fitting
c)this guy often does wear what SF'ers would call "next-level ****" and thus he always seems well-dressed, regardless of what he's wearing
d) Details like the denim and boots being well-distressed, the oxford being buttoned all the way, and some sort of really cool canvas/leather tote bag in place of of a backpack elevating the whole look
e)Some sort of combination of the former explainations

I'm just using this guy from school as an example, but feel free to generalize. I'd love to know what you all think about the matter of making generally minimalist basics look [totally epic] next-level.

Cheers,
wmmk

givemefive

Reaction score
I think it is a lot about charisma and how you hold yourself. Some people can just pull things off with the way they hold themselves better than others. Also you may be more critical of yourself than you are of a friend you admire.

I think putting what most people call 'basics' together in a way that fits one's personal style is the most effective way of having a genuine style. Just putting a bunch of fancy clothes on will never cut it.

Your post was good until the last word 'epic.' That word is becoming meaningless with the frequency it is put out there.

who8mahrice

Reaction score
Proportions. Most people don't understand their body type/shape and don't dress to suit it well (no pun intended).

And confidence.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by who8mahrice
Proportions. Most people don't understand their body type/shape and don't dress to suit it well (no pun intended).

And confidence.

1+

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by givemefive
Your post was good until the last word 'epic.' That word is becoming meaningless with the frequency it is put out there.

Isn't there a poster named totally epic? Judging from the vanishing script, he may be haunting wmmk's post.

Originally Posted by wmmk
Hullo SF,

Things always look best on clothes hangers!

ToruOkada

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think it has alot to do with really finding and developing your own style. you can buy all the expensive **** you want but if they don't seem genuine then you can only get so far. if you look at some of the best fit posters in WAYWN their clothes seem to be indicative of a certain lifestyle as opposed to things they put on to "dress up" in.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The fact that he's wearing high-quality, well-fitting stuff with specifically chosen accessories/detailing makes me think it's not that inherent at all, but that he works at it, like the rest of us. Clearly he's put some thought into his clothes, which is more than most people can say. Maybe it came easy to him, maybe not. But he's doing a good job making it look easy. That said, being skinny does help. As does having a critical mass of nice clothes.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Because some people are ugly.

Yes. It's very true. I am fat and ugly and will never look better than others no matter how hard I try. Even if I work really hard in the gym, nothing short of a plastic surgery can rid me of this ugly face.

It's not just always about confidence or charisma. Some people are born beautiful and with good genetics. They can wear a lousy shirt and still look good. Others have to just contend with making themselves look less ugly.

The world is unfair and that's why not everyone can be a model.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
We kind of just rule, sorry.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
Hullo SF,

So today I was hanging out with a friend who's an über-stylish looking mofo. I realized that he isn't wearing anything really "out there." For instance, today this kid was wearing a white oxford (buttoned all the way up), a gray cashmere (merino?) v-neck sweater, indigo Imperials (I think they were shearers, but they could've been dukes) that I recall him saying he's been wearing for 9 months without washing, and some very worn reddish-brown boots.

He seemed to be wearing pretty basic stuff, but I realized that I never look that good. Now, would this particular fit come off well because:

I do think a person's height has a subtle, subconscious influence on their percieved stylishness, and have noticed this effect in the way WAYWTs are graded, for example.

As well, designers who are trying to cultivate an image of exclusivity generally don't want short, fat, squatty people to be seen wearing their clothes, so these designers don't design their clothes with short, fat, squatty people in mind. It is possible for short people to look every bit as stylish as tall people, but they're going to have to work much harder at finding the right pieces to flatter them.

b)despite all his individual pieces being relatively basic, each is of high quality and well-fitting
Well there you go. High quality materials, good fit, absence of superfluous details and Bob's your uncle!

It seems like he didn't try to overextend himself with the colors, either. White + gray + dark indigo + reddish-brown is a solid, classic color scheme. Change the white oxford to sateen fuscia and put blue embroidery on the sweater and suddenly the whole thing looks cheap and trashy... and ironically, much more common.

Of course, adventurous color schemes and avant-garde details are fun, too. But assuming he doesn't have a SoCal-level clothing budget (dude must be a millionaire!) he knows his limits and operates capably within them.

c)this guy often does wear what SF'ers would call "next-level ****" and thus he always seems well-dressed, regardless of what he's wearing
Erhm... SFers use "next-level ****" ironically. Even SuFu doesn't use "next-level ****" unironically, if in fact they ever did. In any case, well-fitting basics aren't next level-****, next level-**** is avant garde couture by designers like Raf Simons and Ann Demulemeester that would be sure to get your ass stomped into the ground the second you walked into a redneck bar wearing that (next-level) ****.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
Yes. It's very true. I am fat and ugly and will never look better than others no matter how hard I try. Even if I work really hard in the gym, nothing short of a plastic surgery can rid me of this ugly face.

It's not just always about confidence or charisma. Some people are born beautiful and with good genetics. They can wear a lousy shirt and still look good. Others have to just contend with making themselves look less ugly.

Cheer up! Here's a video of cute otters holding hands!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

The world is unfair and that's why not everyone can be a model.
If everyone in the world was a model, the wheels would fall off the trolley very quickly.

"All is well and wisely put." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Everybody's suggestions here are good. Confidence and projecting an attitude in your costume is what will reflect in your statement. A suggestion I make to our customers who are just starting to explore their expression of style is to seek style expressions in magazines that appeal to you and try to create them with your present wardrobe. Visit a reputable store and try on outfits ( if they will not let you try on things or help you create outfits, find another store that will ), get good honest advice, bring a friend you trust along for a critique. Physique is important but you do not have to have a killer body to look good, just an eye that says that's not good on me because it doesn't flatter or this is what I feel looks good, Today! The day does matter. I believe a certain psychology goes into dressing and the way we feel on an given day is important to take into consideration. If you ever want to pm me your outfit creations, I will do my best to assist you. Gary

Eagle

Reaction score
I don't really know why but, well, I just do!
wink.gif
Seriously, it is not that hard and actually, not much of a secret. Buy quality (that does not necessarily mean spend a lot), be conservative in your choices, have them tailored to fit perfectly and maintain them well. Pull your shoulders back and hold your head high as you go about your day. Life is good...live it that way!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads