• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do americans never say 'goodbye' when hanging up the phone?

insomb

Reaction score
Short answer: because they are rude.

I don't know either. I always say goodbye prior to hanging up and it infuriates me when people don't do the same. My advice is next time they do that, call them back, when they pick up say goodbye and then hang up on them.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
How does your Grandmother respond to that?

She giggles like a Japanese schoolgirl.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bawlin
Why do Americans say "uh huh" instead of "you're welcome" ?

It's an affirmative answer, and it implies that you were happy to accomodate. It's no different than saying "no problem," or, in Spanish-speaking countries, "de nada."

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
It's an affirmative answer, and it implies that you were happy to accomodate. It's no different than saying "no problem," or, in Spanish-speaking countries, "de nada."

RubeBabeII's boyfriend says "no problem" all the time when a more appropriate response would be "you're welcome". I could even abide "ah, it was nothing". But no problem is starting to grate on me.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I prefer to wave 'good bye' when hanging up the phone. I think it's a nice touch and people generally appreciate it.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
RubeBabeII's boyfriend says "no problem" all the time when a more appropriate response would be "you're welcome". I could even abide "ah, it was nothing". But no problem is starting to grate on me.

Really? I use it all the time - I didn't think it was weird. Is it maybe a regional thing? I learned at some point there's another phrase I use a lot that is regional/Southern, and I had no idea this was the case. I'm kind of wondering if "no problem" is the same.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
Really? I use it all the time - I didn't think it was weird. Is it maybe a regional thing? I learned at some point there's another phrase I use a lot that is regional/Southern, and I had no idea this was the case. I'm kind of wondering if "no problem" is the same.

It is a generational thing.

I was simply raised to be polite.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
It is a generational thing.

I was simply raised to be polite.

Haha. And a bit snarky - ouch.

Seriously though, I would have never thought "no problem" is considered impolite. I'm pretty proud of my manners - please, thank you, and the like were SOP in my house growing up - and this is something that has never occurred to me.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I prefer to wave 'good bye' when hanging up the phone. I think it's a nice touch and people generally appreciate it.

Sometimes body language says it all. And if you do it with a smile, it's all the more warming.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
Haha. And a bit snarky - ouch.

Seriously though, I would have never thought "no problem" is considered impolite. I'm pretty proud of my manners - please, thank you, and the like were SOP in my house growing up - and this is something that has never occurred to me.

I was just funnin' ya.
I don't know what it is about "no problem" that bugs me. It just does.

And your behavior here demonstrates your mother raised you correctly.
smile.gif

cmkirby2911

Reaction score
Honestly nearly weed laughing at docs comment about Rebecca and klaus.
Seriously though Americans never say bye on the phone. if someone didn't say bye or seeya or chow before hanging up i would call them back and ask why they hung up or assume their signal went ...and would also call them back for this....guess its just manners...toodles pip
x:satisfied:

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Honestly nearly weed laughing at docs comment about Rebecca and klaus.
Seriously though Americans never say bye on the phone. if someone didn't say bye or seeya or chow before hanging up i would call them back and ask why they hung up or assume their signal went ...and would also call them back for this....guess its just manners...toodles pip
x:satisfied:

I must live in a different part of America since everyone here ends a call with some form of good bye. Is this some kind of big city thing?

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
So glad you asked this. I also have a lot of questions:

Why do all the attractive women in America marry dumpy, unintelligent men?

Why do so many blonde American girls get kidnapped? Do kidnappers target them?

Why do American children always hang out in groups of four, with at least one child African-American?

Do young white American men really spend all their time on mountain bikes and snowboards?

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So glad you asked this. I also have a lot of questions:
Why do all the attractive women in America marry dumpy, unintelligent men?
Why do so many blonde American girls get kidnapped? Do kidnappers target them?
Why do American children always hang out in groups of four, with at least one child African-American?
Do young white American men really spend all their time on mountain bikes and snowboards?

1. Hung like a horse? They got lots of money? Nice guys? Hell I don't know.
2. They're blondes what more do you need to know? Did I just stereotype?
3. They're friends? Next generation sleeper cells? Another one I don't know the answer to.
4. It seems like it but I think you're a victim of good advertising campaigns. Then again maybe they do? I'll just add this to my don't know list.

All these don't knows must mean I don't know Jack ****. Then again I do know a Jack or two. Does that mean I really know something?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics