• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do americans never say 'goodbye' when hanging up the phone?

Patrician

Reaction score
Now, I might be wrong or this might only happen in movies (?!), but why do Americans never say 'good bye' when hanging up the phone?

- Hi john.
- Hi mark.
- bla bla bla.
- bla bla bla.
- So, I gotta go.
- Yeah me too.
*click*

I mean, this can come off as kind of rude, don't you think? But on the other hand, if no one does it, why bother, right? So, why is this?

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have the opposite problem with friends. None of us has it in us to hang up on one another.

Crooow

Reaction score
As long as my exit theme music has begun playing, the "good bye" just seems kind of redundant.

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patrician
Now, I might be wrong or this might only happen in movies (?!), but why do Americans never say 'good bye' when hanging up the phone?

- Hi john.
- Hi mark.
- bla bla bla.
- bla bla bla.
- So, I gotta go.
- Yeah me too, but I'll talk to you later.
*click*

I mean, this can come off as kind of rude, don't you think? But on the other hand, if no one does it, why bother, right? So, why is this?

My friends all say some form of goodbye. I have no idea what you're talking about.

Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
I have the opposite problem with friends. None of us has it in us to hang up on one another.

lurker[1].gif

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont think Ive ever uttered the words "Good Bye" in any situation with any person and dont recall anyone ever saying that to me. Sounds WAY to formal and kind of final, like your last good bye or something.

Its always:
Bye
See ya later
Take it easy
Talk to you soon
Adios
Have a good one
Tell your mom I said whats up
Later
etc...

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's just movies and TV.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

- Hi john.
- Hi mark.
- bla bla bla.
- bla bla bla.
- So, I gotta go.
*click*

I always end the conversation with some variation on "goodbye." In fact, I've joked with friends about the fact that people in movies never use any form of the term.

What has me curious is whether you judge all cultures by what you see in movies.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always say later. When I do say goodbye it is because it really is goodbye.
frown.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
oh, crap: 12,634 posts and I've never finished one with 'good=bye".

I hope you'll all forgive me

l8r

Patrician

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19
I dont think Ive ever uttered the words "Good Bye" in any situation with any person and dont recall anyone ever saying that to me. Sounds WAY to formal and kind of final, like your last good bye or something.

Its always:
Bye
See ya later
Take it easy
Talk to you soon
Adios
Have a good one
Tell your mom I said whats up
Later
etc...

Actually I was referring to any 'greeting' phrase, not just good bye.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George Carlin
Have you noticed this? Sometimes you'll get in a rut with they way you say goodbye. Do you find yourself using the same phrase over and over again with everybody? And you feel a little stupid, you know? Like if you're leaving a party and you have to say goodbye to 5 or 6 people in a row. And you say: "OK, hey, take it easy." "OK, hey, take it easy." "OK, hey, take it easy." "OK, hey, take it easy." "OK, hey, take it easy." You feel like a ******* moron. So you know what I do? Every month I change the way I say goodbye. Whether I need to or not, every month I start using a different phrase. People like that - they notice that little extra effort. They'll say to me, "Pardon me, but didn't you use to say, 'OK, hey, take it easy'?" and I say, "Yes I did, but not anymore." Now I say, "Farewell!" "Farewell till we meet again." "Peace be with you. May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house." That's a strong one isn't? People will remember you if you talk like that. Or sometimes you can combine several ways to say goodbye that don't seem to go together. Like, "Toodleoo, go with God and don't take any wooden nickels." Then people don't know what the **** you're talking about. Or you can say goodbye in a realistic manner: "So long Steve. Don't let self-doubt interfere with your plans to improve your life." Now here's a situation you run into all the time. Do you notice how when you're leaving someone many times they'll give you a message to give to someone else? Like they'll say, "Give my love to Klaus." "Tell Klaus Rebecca sends her love." Do you mind that? Do you mind being used that way? Do you mind the awesome responsibility of having to carry Rebecca's love to Klaus? Suppose you don't see Klaus. What are you going to do with Rebecca's love? Carry it around? Give it to someone else, maybe: "Wilhelm, I can't find Klaus. Here's some of Rebecca's love." Suppose Wilhelm doesn't know Rebecca. Can he legally accept her love? Especially when it was intended for Klaus. Suppose you give Wilhelm Rebecca's love for Klaus and then you see Klaus, what are you going to give him? All you had was Rebecca's love and you've already gone and given that to Wilhelm. Can you logically ask Wilhelm to give back Rebecca's love to Klaus? Maybe he's gotten used to it by now. Can Klaus sue Wilhelm? Can Wilhelm be arrested? Can you be arrested for transporting love across a state line? Alright, just for the sake of argument, let's leave Wilhelm out of this altogether. Suppose Rebecca gives you her love to give to Klaus and you do see Klaus. What form should the love take? Can you risk giving Klaus a tongue kiss? Which brings up another problem: Maybe Klaus is gay. Klaus doesn't want Rebecca's love. Klaus wants Wilhelm's love! If Klaus tells you to give his love to Wilhelm, say, "Bull**** Klaus! You give your own love to Wilhelm. I'm going to find Rebecca." And sometimes people want you to take a hug and a kiss to someone for them. Now they've got you carrying cargo. "Give them a big hug and a kiss for me!" Usually it's women. I find that women are a little more expressive at times like these. And sometimes they're really explicit: "Bye, bye, Elena. Drive carefully. And give Jake a big ******* for me!" Well, why don't you have Klaus take care of that for you?

Patrician

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
I always end the conversation with some variation on "goodbye." In fact, I've joked with friends about the fact that people in movies never use any form of the term.

What has me curious is whether you judge all cultures by what you see in movies.

Certainly not, just seems typical for lazy Americans.
tongue.gif

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

- Hi john.
- Hi mark.
- bla bla bla.
- bla bla bla.
- So, I gotta go.
*click*

Actually I was referring to any 'greeting' phrase, not just good bye.

"talk to you later" is just that. It's a form of goodbye.

Patrician

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
"talk to you later" is just that. It's a form of goodbye.
Haha you're right, bad example. I'll fix that. edit:fixed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads