• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do all the guys on here dress like its the 70's?

hazeleyes

Reaction score
I went to the what are you wearing today thread, and all of you guys dress like my uncle. Is there a reason for this? Or is this how people from the city dress? I could wear some of your jeans!!

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your uncle must be a pretty cool guy
wink.gif
I'm not sure I understand your sentance "I could wear some of your jeans!!". Did you mean to say that you couldn't wear some of the jeans? At any rate, slim jeans are quite popular right now. Obviously some poeple go over board but I think they look ok as long as they aren't ball busting tight.

hazeleyes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
Your uncle must be a pretty cool guy
wink.gif

I'm not sure I understand your sentance "I could wear some of your jeans!!". Did you mean to say that you couldn't wear some of the jeans?

At any rate, slim jeans are quite popular right now. Obviously some poeple go over board but I think they look ok as long as they aren't ball busting tight.

He is pretty cool, but I'm trying to make a metaphor that the jeans are so tight, they would be right for me.
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

styleoasis

Reaction score
I think there probably is resemblance between what a lot of people today are wearing and the fashions of the '70s. It's particularly true for women, with leggings and gaucho pants coming back. But I don't think people on this forum look too retro; rather, I think the old trends are coming back. Someone I know once made an interesting comment that there's only so much designers come up with; new takes on old favorites are being paraded down the runways now that a new generation has its eye on the clothes.

That said, there are some people on this forum, although not really the ones who post in Streetwear, who seem to enjoy looking like old men...erm, wearing "classic clothing."

sbbbjm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hazeleyes
Or is this how people from the city dress?

i think this explains everything . . . i currently go to school in conservative, small town texas right now, and i can't tell you how many times i get asked this or get funny looks. people are a lot more laid back when it comes to fashion, and if you care as a guy, you're totally pinned as gay.

fashion here is abercrombie, american eagle, aeropostale -- and all the wannabes buy their already made looks at urban outfitters if they are lucky enough to have one when they are 'in town'

what ever we are wearing now is gonna hit the burbs in a year and we'll have already progessed.

Max

Reaction score
The question is "why does Max dress like a gay hustler from the 70s?" and the answer is "because the gay hustlers in the 00s look kinda stupid."

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
The 70's? I think of the current trends as tending towards the 80's. No one here is wearing slim flares (gonna refrain from the predictable flarez joke here), and most people here shudder at the mere mention of polyester. The skinny, straight-leg/tapered jean, the leggings on women, etc... all of them make me think of the 80s.

Maybe we can say "late 70s/early 80s" and call a truce?

cultpop 0217

I, Manface
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
The 70's? I think of the current trends as tending towards the 80's. No one here is wearing slim flares (gonna refrain from the predictable flarez joke here), and most people here shudder at the mere mention of polyester. The skinny, straight-leg/tapered jean, the leggings on women, etc... all of them make me think of the 80s.

ditto.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just wear what I want. Some of what I have, is vintage. Some, is newer than that. Other pieces, are brand new. At 51, I'm not going to look young, no matter what.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
I'm not sure I understand your sentance "I could wear some of your jeans!!". Did you mean to say that you couldn't wear some of the jeans?
Hazel is a girl.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster

I'd say most posters wear modernized version of whatever epoch they're aiming at though, not straight up recreation. Hazel probably reacts to the bunch of early punk/post-punk looking posters in here (i.e. mostly regarding tight and tappered jeans). Loads of other posters do go for the american worker look (repros, flannels, whole EG + japanese aesthetic) though which would be what, 40-50s mixed with some 2000s. As for stealth wealth is a logical evolution of 90s minimalism though so I'd say it's an actual trend.

Max

Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
I try to dress like a future throwback to 2006.
Perfect.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads