1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Why do all the guys on here dress like its the 70's?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by hazeleyes, Oct 15, 2006.

1. hazeleyes

hazeleyes New Member

I went to the what are you wearing today thread, and all of you guys dress like my uncle. Is there a reason for this? Or is this how people from the city dress? I could wear some of your jeans!!

2. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

Your uncle must be a pretty cool guy [​IMG] I'm not sure I understand your sentance "I could wear some of your jeans!!". Did you mean to say that you couldn't wear some of the jeans? At any rate, slim jeans are quite popular right now. Obviously some poeple go over board but I think they look ok as long as they aren't ball busting tight.

3. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Loose boot fit is one thing (I wear them), boot fit is alright, but skinny jeans are IMHO not a good look on guys.

Jon.

4. hazeleyes

hazeleyes New Member

Your uncle must be a pretty cool guy [​IMG]

I'm not sure I understand your sentance "I could wear some of your jeans!!". Did you mean to say that you couldn't wear some of the jeans?

At any rate, slim jeans are quite popular right now. Obviously some poeple go over board but I think they look ok as long as they aren't ball busting tight.

He is pretty cool, but I'm trying to make a metaphor that the jeans are so tight, they would be right for me. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. styleoasis

styleoasis Active Member

I think there probably is resemblance between what a lot of people today are wearing and the fashions of the '70s. It's particularly true for women, with leggings and gaucho pants coming back. But I don't think people on this forum look too retro; rather, I think the old trends are coming back. Someone I know once made an interesting comment that there's only so much designers come up with; new takes on old favorites are being paraded down the runways now that a new generation has its eye on the clothes.

That said, there are some people on this forum, although not really the ones who post in Streetwear, who seem to enjoy looking like old men...erm, wearing "classic clothing."

6. sbbbjm

sbbbjm Senior member

Or is this how people from the city dress?

i think this explains everything . . . i currently go to school in conservative, small town texas right now, and i can't tell you how many times i get asked this or get funny looks. people are a lot more laid back when it comes to fashion, and if you care as a guy, you're totally pinned as gay.

fashion here is abercrombie, american eagle, aeropostale -- and all the wannabes buy their already made looks at urban outfitters if they are lucky enough to have one when they are 'in town'

what ever we are wearing now is gonna hit the burbs in a year and we'll have already progessed.

7. Max

Max Senior member

The question is "why does Max dress like a gay hustler from the 70s?" and the answer is "because the gay hustlers in the 00s look kinda stupid."

8. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Senior member

The 70's? I think of the current trends as tending towards the 80's. No one here is wearing slim flares (gonna refrain from the predictable flarez joke here), and most people here shudder at the mere mention of polyester. The skinny, straight-leg/tapered jean, the leggings on women, etc... all of them make me think of the 80s.

Maybe we can say "late 70s/early 80s" and call a truce?

9. cultpop 0217

cultpop 0217 Senior member

The 70's? I think of the current trends as tending towards the 80's. No one here is wearing slim flares (gonna refrain from the predictable flarez joke here), and most people here shudder at the mere mention of polyester. The skinny, straight-leg/tapered jean, the leggings on women, etc... all of them make me think of the 80s.

ditto.

10. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

I just wear what I want. Some of what I have, is vintage. Some, is newer than that. Other pieces, are brand new. At 51, I'm not going to look young, no matter what.

11. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

I'm not sure I understand your sentance "I could wear some of your jeans!!". Did you mean to say that you couldn't wear some of the jeans?
    Hazel is a girl.

12. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

I'd say most posters wear modernized version of whatever epoch they're aiming at though, not straight up recreation. Hazel probably reacts to the bunch of early punk/post-punk looking posters in here (i.e. mostly regarding tight and tappered jeans). Loads of other posters do go for the american worker look (repros, flannels, whole EG + japanese aesthetic) though which would be what, 40-50s mixed with some 2000s. As for stealth wealth is a logical evolution of 90s minimalism though so I'd say it's an actual trend.

13. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Senior member

I try to dress like a future throwback to 2006.

14. Max

Max Senior member

I try to dress like a future throwback to 2006.
    Perfect.

15. xcoldricex

xcoldricex Senior member

i try to dress like the post-apocalyptic 2046

16. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

In order for this joint right here to sound gritty,
    We did pre-production in an underground city,
    Wearing post apocalyptic underground gear,
    'Cause we haven't seen natural sunlight in twelve years,
    I got a sound astronauts can't wait to hear,
    So I speak loud enough to reach Space Station Mir.

17. ratboycom

ratboycom Senior member

I try to dress like I belong working at a gaijin host bar in Roppongi, hahaha.
    I live in a shitty city (the second biggest in Washington) where like above they said the fashion is AE, Abercrombie, etc. SO I get plenty of questions about my clothes and plenty of people think I am gay or something, quite the contrary. I just dress so far ahead of the styles in Spokompton and if I end up looking like some kind of Male Prostitute so be it... At least I am well dressed (haha)

18. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

I try to dress like I belong working at a gaijin host bar in Roppongi, hahaha.
    I live in a shitty city (the second biggest in Washington) where like above they said the fashion is AE, Abercrombie, etc. SO I get plenty of questions about my clothes and plenty of people think I am gay or something, quite the contrary. I just dress so far ahead of the styles in Spokompton and if I end up looking like some kind of Male Prostitute so be it... At least I am well dressed (haha)

I dress down when I visit Spokane, so as not to alarm the natives...

[​IMG]

Maybe you should move. Or are you going to Gonzaga or something?

19. ratboycom

ratboycom Senior member

heh, I am trying to move. I have to stay here for another 1.5 years though because I am in school. I actually already graduated from College with an AAS Degree in Automotive Technology with Toyota (Toyota school, real degree involving nonauto classes too), but decided I needed to make more money and needed to be less stressed.
    Actually when I got back from Japan I was hating life (wait did I say was... am). Luckilly Ill be in Tokyo for three months this summer to go to school and hang out with my girl. Some people bitch and moan about big cities (people around here even complain about Seattle being too big for them!) but I have no problem with it. I actually prefer the big cities to Spokane (only advantage here is it is semi cheap and I can dress in a pair of ill fitting jeans and a T shirt and no one will notice. Actually my girlfriend, Yumi, and I often get commented on the way we dress when we would go hang out with friends and just go out. Everyone would always say "so are you guys going out somewhere fancy tonight?" and we would be dressing what I would consider normal for the two of us.)

20. Wade M

Wade M Senior member

Hazel is a girl.

Concur [​IMG]

Hazel - Would be interesting to see what your uncle wears :p

--djway