• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do all my jackets ends up 'fanning out'

gladiator

Reaction score
All the jackets I purchased, after 6 months of wear the bottom starts to fan out and away from my hips/body like this / \\

Its really annoying, when the jackets were new they were very tapered to my body.

Will dry clean fix it? Is there any other way to prevent this or do I need to buy jackets every season?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
stop going into your car/sitting inside the car with your suit jacket. you go in, sideways, then you twist/turn your torso to face front. that twisting motion, stretches out the suit fabric in side ways. also happens to any jacket of mine, if it comes down past my waist. so i care to sit in the car either without the coat or sit sideways, then i lift myself up to free the fabric and sit front view.

that can be one reason. amongst others.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you clean them? Could you have gained a little weight in the midsection?

Take them to a tailor and see what he says. Most likely, your jackets are just too small for you and need to be let out a little bit.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
stop going into your car/sitting inside the car with your suit jacket. you go in, sideways, then you twist/turn your torso to face front. that twisting motion, stretches out the suit fabric in side ways. also happens to any jacket of mine, if it comes down past my waist. so i care to sit in the car either without the coat or sit sideways, then i lift myself up to free the fabric and sit front view.

+1. That's a great idea, too. Never thought about it like that. Thanks for another OCD, sho'nuff.

gladiator

Reaction score

Wow thats a good insight. I tried to unzip my jacket when I drive but it didn't help.

Most of my travels is on the subway though, I live in NYC. Not going to take my jacket off on the train so any other suggestions?

gladiator

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
How do you clean them? Could you have gained a little weight in the midsection?

Take them to a tailor and see what he says. Most likely, your jackets are just too small for you and need to be let out a little bit.

Nope, I've been the same weight for past 5 years. Midsection is fine, its just the bottom of the jacket fans out when I zip up.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
o man, i have tons of ocd stuff i can advise you on

Thanks, but I'd prefer you keep them to yourself unless absolutely necessary.
smile.gif

TheSauceBoss

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladiator
Wow thats a good insight. I tried to unzip my jacket when I drive but it didn't help.

Most of my travels is on the subway though, I live in NYC. Not going to take my jacket off on the train so any other suggestions?

Stand perhaps?

Beaune Head

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladiator
All the jackets I purchased, after 6 months of wear the bottom starts to fan out and away from my hips/body like this / \\

This syndrome is why I started getting ventless SC's. But I suspect going ventless is not SF approved....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads