Why didn't I buy a steamer long ago

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Roger Everett, May 23, 2011.

1. Roger Everett

Roger Everett Senior member

Was out cruising the mall with my fiancee Saturday, and we stopped in at Macy's to peruse. I had been thinking about getting a steamer for quite awhile, so off to housewares. They had 5 different models, ended up with a Rowenta compact 1400watt, 32 oz. cap.. Had been thinking mostly about an easy way to get the wrinkles out of ties, but after it worked so good so quick, I tried it out on a suit that needed a bit of dewrinkeling. Had booko horiz. wrinkles on back of jacket from too much time sitting in car, out in a heartbeat. And a good once over on the pants, even got the croch wrinkles out without any problem. It came with a springloaded attachment for redoing the creases in pants, but after trying it out, got a better job at the ironing board and iron w/ a cover cloth on creases. Wonder why I had never bought one before, makes life so much easier.

Roger

2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

The best steamers are from Cleveland.

3. mjphillips

mjphillips Senior member

The best steamers are from Cleveland.

Indeed - a shop there named Hot Carl carries a wide variety of them.

4. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Recommend one to anyone that will listen.

Jiffy makes a great steamer, great service too, they sell tiny parts that are not usually found, and support even their oldest steamers.

I have 2 of them. Great steamer.

5. westinghouse

westinghouse Senior member

LOL let me know if you still feel the same way about it next month. Steamers are only good on suits and silks. A quality iron and ironing board is still king.

P.S. be sure to post pics of your first 3rd degree burn...

6. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

LOL let me know if you still feel the same way about it3 next month. Steamers are only good on suits and silks. A quality iron and ironing board is still king.

P.S. be sure to post pics of your first 3rd degree burn...

BS.

Time to iron shirts?? GTFO When a cleaners can do it for a $1.50... I'll pay that every time.

Steamers are great for freshening up anything. I used mine on a linen shirt the other day.

7. Archibald Longfellow

Archibald Longfellow Active Member

I use one on my suits and think it's the best thing since sliced bread. While it will knock the wrinlkes out of a shirt it doesn't give that crisp finish a hot iron does