• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why did you start wearing square-toed shoes?

hermes man

Reaction score
i have 1 from Prada but i have no choice but to continue wearing it because i bought it for us$793
ffffuuuu.gif
at the same day i bought an Emporio Armani pants cost us$437 that is too big for me (which my GF refer as pyjamas pants) both without discount yea i dont know what got into me that day
ffffuuuu.gif
even my friend who has no interest on fashion always wear torn jeans and faded tshirt (he is in a band) laughed at me when i wore my square-toed prada shoe
ffffuuuu.gif

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The really funny thing about all this is that generally speaking, about the time people get around to codifying their dislike for a particular style...such as square toes shoes...it comes back into fashion again.

beowolf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by derv
Many African-American men in Chicago still wear square toes.

Many African-American men in general wear them. I was influenced for a time by this (years ago). In many urban areas, black men are lulled into crappy style from the likes of K&G and other crappy stores.
It still pains me to see them wearing those horrible suits with 4 to 5 buttons and square-toed shoes and the swear they are the sharpest men on earth.

I am glad I woke up from that.

KingOfTheForum

Reaction score
Because it was about 10 years ago, and I thought that they were stylish back then. My preferences have changed now, but If I saw a guy in a pair, I wouldn't immediately write him off.

cimabue

Reaction score
For young men, they were very fashionable. Women liked them. They could get you laid. Now they're dated. So what? We may say Desert Boots and sleek English brogues are the thing right now, at least on SF, but I don't think they turn the ladies' heads like the hideous square-toed kicks once did.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
10 years ago - freshman year in college. my square toe, rubber sole Prada loafers were the ****.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have a 1970's black pair of loafers I bought for $2 under my desk. I might wear them to a Disco (if they existed), or from car-to-rink at the roller garden on 1970's night. They tend to be last-resort shoes.

BTW: I heard that the term, "square" as in "uncool" comes from a reference to people who wore square-toed shoes in the 1900's. Is this true?

Mata_Leao

Reaction score
As a high school student, I had primarily worn tennis shoes, and my new girlfriend wanted me to improve my wardrobe. We went to the mall, and I grabbed a pair of Aldo shoes that she was very enthusiastic about. I did not even notice the shape of the shoes' toe. In the next few months, I consistently got compliments on those shoes from women, and even a few guys.

Later, I knew that I needed a pair of dress shoes, and I read an article in Esquire or GQ that recommended getting a pair with a buckle from Kenneth Cole for a contemporary look. When I saw that they were on sale, the deal was sealed, and I had yet another pair of SF contraband.

Needless to say, neither of those shoes are now to my taste - I gave them both to Goodwill. But that I wore them is hardly a mark of shame for me. They represent an era in my life when I was first attempting to dress myself like a man, rather than a child. I may not approve of the looks I put together, but that was the beginning of the process that ultimately taught me how to dress well.

KingOfTheForum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by beowolf
Many African-American men in general wear them. I was influenced for a time by this (years ago). In many urban areas, black men are lulled into crappy style from the likes of K&G and other crappy stores.
It still pains me to see them wearing those horrible suits with 4 to 5 buttons and square-toed shoes and the swear they are the sharpest men on earth.

I am glad I woke up from that.

Well, in that cultural environment, they ARE the most sharp men around. That's the look that appeals to their preferred audience. It's similar to how your average SF member is praised in What Are You Wearing Today, but he looks like a fool in many day to day social gatherings.

cimabue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master Squirrel
BTW: I heard that the term, "square" as in "uncool" comes from a reference to people who wore square-toed shoes in the 1900's. Is this true?
Hmm, I like this theory. Clod, as in stupid person, from clod hoppers? Square toes ain't completely dead anyway. Some of the most stylish and expensive shoes have squared toed boxes, just more subtle. I'd post examples if I knew how to do that wizardry.

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
Epic question, maybe, and most people will say, "I never started." Good, but some did, and their input might explain why many unstylish men wear them.

Some possible answers:
A source (for example, a lousy magazine or a female 'friend') said they looked good.
The only affordable options were square-toed shoes.
They looked comfortable or nothing else was in the right size.
They looked good, i.e., the buyer had bad taste.

Be brave. Admit your sins and explain why.

\\
Me start life wearing traditional man shoes.
1997 - 2002 = me not wear traditional shoes,
me went for square toe
facepalm.gif

Me think traditional shoe nice in 90's but nerdy,
it make fun change.
Me think square toe trendy and for cool people so me wear it.
facepalm.gif

Me wear square toe because of Hollywood and magazines.
Me still have the dozens of pairs bought, (goodyear, blake, blake rapid).
devil.gif

Originally Posted by run23
I'll keep them around in the back of my closet for when they become ironically cool in 2020.
Yes.

Me not regret wearing square toe footwear,
women loved them and made me feel good. :smile:

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The mystery still is why perhaps millions of men have chosen to wear shoes that objectively are ugly, which ought to outweigh the other reasons to buy them. Maybe, through the familiarity-is-attractive pathway, wearing bulky athletic sneakers conditioned their visual systems to think boxy is good?
Men thin k they look smart and sophisticated,
me did once.
musicboohoo[1].gif

Originally Posted by OttoSkadelig
i think we are kidding ourselves if we believe that most of the things we have been culturally conditioned to believe are ugly are TRULY ugly in an absolute sense. people may have once thought that square-toed shoes give a muscular look. maybe muscular was in back then and italian pointy-toed elegance was viewed as outdated or for dandies and sissies. remember, doc martens were big not much earlier.

same deal with bootcut jeans. quite funny how everyone thought they looked great 5 years ago, and now they're ugly all of a sudden!

Yes,
square toe come back one day.

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Name a long historical era in which squared-toed footwear was considered attractive.
1920's,
really nice square toes shoes around in some old pictures.

Squared-toe shoes indeed look somewhat masculine, but that and "pretty" generally don't go together.
No true.
Narrow square toe shoe can look nice.

I purchased square-toed shoes all through college and deep into my twenties. Why? They are inexpensive shoes that don't look like the old, fuddy-duddy shoes my dad wore.

I suspect most young guys buy shoes in the same manner. You walk into a department store or DSW looking for dress shoes that cost <$100.
me wish me square toe shoes were cheap,
all designer shoes,
all over $500.00
Edward Green would have been same price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads