1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Why can't i have a black suit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by graphite, Apr 5, 2009.

1. emmanuel

emmanuel Senior member

Well, my personal dislike for black stems from elsewhere.

If you're a brown man who dresses up in a black suit for a social event, people assume you are a waiter (or the like).

I have never been confused with a waiter. I believe the way I carry myself sets me apart (If somehow my clothes dont distinguish me enough).

2. Lowndes

Lowndes Senior member

Well, I have a couple of reasons for disliking black suits.

1) I simply don't wear the color black. The only two black items I own are a pair of black Park Avenues and a black belt to match. I have red hair and am not that tan so black looks like crap on me.

2) I usually don't like black suits on others because I don't normally see it pulled off very well. Most of the people I see wearing a black suit are also wearing a black shirt underneath with a red time. This has to be the worst look known to man. I've never understood how somebody can wear that and look in the mirror and think it looks good.

3) To continue on the post above most people who wear black suits aren't wearing a very nice suit or fabric. This seems to show much more than in Charcoal or Navy Blue.

Now, if you want to wear a black suit and it looks good on you then by all means do. It's a much less versatile suit, you have a lot of fewer selections in shoes, ties, shirts, that you can wear and still look good, etc.

3. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

I have never been confused with a waiter. I believe the way I carry myself sets me apart (If somehow my clothes dont distinguish me enough).
    Like I said, I've seen it happen often enough (and not necessarily to me - although it has, on occasion) -- immaterial of carriage or other distinguishing factors. My experiences may not reflect that of others, and vice versa.

4. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I wear a lot of navy blue suits and i'm often taken for the Sales assistant in upmarket department stores...
    As i'm also White caucasian, do i need to hang myself immediately?
    Some Sales assistant are classier than the people they serve therefore that is the last of my worries....
    Buy yourself a black suit if you do like the look and do not worry about us...

5. Dr Huh?

Dr Huh? Senior member

At the moment the only suit I have is an old black one. I hope to buy a navy one in the next few months. I can't remember the reasons I originally went with a black suit. Besides the suit of mine being poorly cut, the black really isn't very flattering. I wore it to a friends wedding a few years ago with a light, sky blue shirt (good quality, but a bit too big in hindsight) and a nice silk navy tie. Looking back on the wedding photos, the suit really didn't do me justice and it let me down. Had I worn a navy suit, the look I was going for would have looked much better.

6. GBR

GBR Senior member

You can and enjoy wearing it.

In the meantime use the search function so that we do not have to rehearse all the arguments and counter arguments yet again.

7. Captain.Kia

Captain.Kia Well-Known Member

please be sure to purchase KC shoes while your at it

8. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Senior member

Problem is that those quotes are according to SF. Author Steven Friedman states that blacks suits are acceptable business attire. There is a good segment of the population that wears black for business attire as well as a good segment that preaches it is okay--such as clothing guides for MBA programs.

Search...

Appropriate Business Attire?
    http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ght=black+suit

Stupid Aversion?

Resurgence?

9. SlamMan

SlamMan Senior member

10. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Senior member

How much have you contributed to the discussion? Why don't you make a definitive guide to business dress or the black suit?

+1.

I love how this topic comes up a couple times a month and still ends up a 50+ post thread.

11. 82-Greg

82-Greg Senior member

I own one. I wear it from time to time. I don't believe it works everywhere and really doesn't work very well during the summer. I also wear brown and tan suits; and even worse, I wear them in the city! Brits in particular regard as this brazen act as nearly if not clearly criminal.

Black is not favored by Americans aware of men's style. However, fashion houses are always showing some male model in black. If you go to European cities, everyone wears black.

For a first suit, I would opt for navy or blue. Far more versatile.

I don't see any problems wearing black. Of course I also work for a secret government agency...oops, I'm not supposed to talk about that. Just look at the pretty red light on the end of my pen....

12. Captain.Kia

Captain.Kia Well-Known Member

For a first suit, I would opt for navy or blue. Far more versatile.
    This a trap? [​IMG]

13. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

long text

Holy shit, 2 posts since sep 2007 ? Lurk much ?

14. ppllzz

ppllzz Senior member

"Between 1875 and 1998[citation needed], Brooks Brothers did not make an off-the-rack black suit, because of the myth that Abraham Lincoln wore a bespoke black Brooks frock coat when he was assassinated by John Wilkes Booth. As a result, the traditional American rule is that black suits only are proper for servants and the dead[2]." from wiki article on brooks brothers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooks_Brothers

15. Stavros

Stavros Senior member

I find it hard to understand how otherwise smart and practical dressers in this forum dislike the idea of the black suit so much. I think a black suit makes sense for someone of young age who doesn't wear suits at work. A well-fitted black suit can be smart club-wear and paired with the right, subdued, accessories has a certain hip/urban vibe about it. What is wrong with wearing it with a white or very pale blue shirt, with or without tie, especially if your complexity is one of "high contrast". It can also be dressed down with a pair of dark jeans and casual shoes (e.g. black casual boots or sneakers) for situations spanning a range of casualness. It is finally weather-proof as, assuming it is a fine wool cloth, can be worn all year-round.

A lot of women regard black suits/jackets sexy, and even in my eyes, this bold look is associated with nightlife and youth. When you are young you care more about women and looking good when you go out, than being correct in the "sartorial tradition" sense.

16. ginlimetonic

ginlimetonic Senior member

"Between 1875 and 1998[citation needed], Brooks Brothers did not make an off-the-rack black suit, because of the myth that Abraham Lincoln wore a bespoke black Brooks frock coat when he was assassinated by John Wilkes Booth. As a result, the traditional American rule is that black suits only are proper for servants and the dead[2]."

from wiki article on brooks brothers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooks_Brothers

whats this got to do wtih black suits? You mean they got inaugurated in black suits? My memory isn't very well, but when Lincoln got inauguriated, the only film that could capture the moment was in black and white anyway.

17. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

whats this got to do wtih black suits?

"Between 1875 and 1998, Brooks Brothers did not make an off-the-rack black suit"

You mean they got inaugurated in black suits? My memory isn't very well, but when Lincoln got inauguriated, the only film that could capture the moment was in black and white anyway.

Who said anything about inauguration?

18. ysc

ysc Senior member

A lot of women regard black suits/jackets sexy, and even in my eyes, this bold look is associated with nightlife and youth. When you are young you care more about women and looking good when you go out, than being correct in the "sartorial tradition" sense.

Yeah, a black suit can be good for night-life, there is a certain something about a black suit with a skinny tie and a white shirt, but they can seem pretty stark in the day with a white shirt, and don't look as good with a coloured shirt as a navy or charcoal suit.
    If you are getting your first suit, then it stands to reason you want it to be as versatile as possible, and the navy or charcoal is probably going to be more versatile.
    That said if you really like the black go for it, but make sure you look at the suit out in the sunlight before you do anything irrevocable.

19. TEDSgrad

TEDSgrad New Member

Holy shit, 2 posts since sep 2007 ? Lurk much ?

Feel free to punish my opinions. Personal attacks prove you to be small - Punisher.