• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why Can't I Get Into Craft Beer?

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I've been told by some friends to try out Winking Lizard. I'll try to go there soon.
Go for the beer. The food is sub-par but edible. The beer at Barley's is generally pretty well done if you feel like an actual local micro-brew rather than a Gordon Biersch style cookie cutter.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you like coffee you might like coffee + beer. Peak Espresso Amber, its different, I think of it more scotch/red wine drinkers beer.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by flashkobalt
bellevue kriek ? ...

spbell.jpg

No, the bottle was a bit different.

Apparently this Bellevue one is sweeter, which I might like.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a craft beer, but Newcastle is a smooth, very malty brown ale. Easy to drink.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kwilk, I get you. Personally I don't like many micro brews. I primarily stick to bud heavies and yeungling (when I'm on the East Coast, esp. the Dark and Tans). Though in the summer I love Magic Hat No. 9 which they don't sell out here in Cali.

BTW, I don't care what people say, but kriek cerise is the ****. I don't remember what brand it was, but I had some (a lot each time) in France and Belgium, and thought it was delicious.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Have you tried Anchor Liberty? That and FatTire are probably my go-to Bud replacements. Give a few stouts a try. Samuel Smith Oatmeal and SeaDog Blueberry are good starters. The SeaDog tastes just like blueberry muffin mix. They're heavy but there really isn't any discernible hop flavor. Save those, go trappist or stick with the Belgians/Germans. Duvel FTW!

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Drip coffee is just wrong. It has no place outside a gas station.
Erm...what's wrong with it? I mean, I've had it from a percolator, french press, an even made it a few times with an egg but it usually tastes pretty much the same.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Erm...what's wrong with it? I mean, I've had it from a percolator, french press, an even made it a few times with an egg but it usually tastes pretty much the same.
Nothing, really. Kwilk and I went out to dinner, and he and my wife tried to order drip coffee afterwards. I told them they were barbarians. It was just a continuation of that joke. Actually, it got worse after that. ******* cappuccinos.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never been able to choke down an IPA. I guess that places me firmly in the anti-hops category?

I like hefeweizens/weisbiers most of the time now, even something too-sweet like Blue Moon over American domestics. If there's nothing like that available, I go with Harp. If no Harp, Bud (which isn't that bad IMO).

Occasionally I like a Negra Modelo with the glass drizzled with lime.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think a lot (read: the majority) of craft beer in the U.S. is crap. These brewmeisters love to throw in as much hops or, on the other hand, as much malt as possible, thus creating a way out-of-whack beer with no balance. Everything is too much of an extreme here, and I suppose it's going to take generations for us to get it out of our system and start making balanced beers.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
I think a lot (read: the majority) of craft beer in the U.S. is crap. These brewmeisters love to throw in as much hops or, on the other hand, as much malt as possible, thus creating a way out-of-whack beer with no balance. Everything is too much of an extreme here, and I suppose it's going to take generations for us to get it out of our system and start making balanced beers.
I agree HORNS (although not about your football fandom - Go Bucks!) You know which "hop head" beer I really don't understand?... Magic Hat #9. I choked on it the first time I tasted it. There was another beer thread a while back that turned into a flame war because I said after the "experimental" days of college when I tried a zillion different beers, I figured out that my overall happiness was best served with a stable of about 5 solid, readily available beers to rotate through. For me, that stable is: Guinness Anchor Steam Chimay Stone Arrogant Bastard Dos Equis Amber (no fruit) Mich Light (or miller lite if I can't get it) When I'm in a region where I can get Yeungling Porter and Lager, I will drink them. I also enjoy the occasional relationship with: Fuller's 1842 Anchor Porter or Liberty Bell's Amber

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing, really. Kwilk and I went out to dinner, and he and my wife tried to order drip coffee afterwards. I told them they were barbarians. It was just a continuation of that joke. Actually, it got worse after that. ******* cappuccinos.

They ordered cappuchino at dinner? Hahaha. That's another reason there's no Starbucks in Italy.

ScottMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
fistbump.gif

Originally Posted by ScottMan
our American "everything to excess!" style of craft brewing

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
I agree HORNS (although not about your football fandom - Go Bucks!) You know which "hop head" beer I really don't understand?... Magic Hat #9. I choked on it the first time I tasted it. There was another beer thread a while back that turned into a flame war because I said after the "experimental" days of college when I tried a zillion different beers, I figured out that my overall happiness was best served with a stable of about 5 solid, readily available beers to rotate through. For me, that stable is: Guinness Anchor Steam Chimay Stone Arrogant Bastard Dos Equis Amber (no fruit) Mich Light (or miller lite if I can't get it) When I'm in a region where I can get Yeungling Porter and Lager, I will drink them. I also enjoy the occasional relationship with: Fuller's 1842 Anchor Porter or Liberty Bell's Amber
worship.gif
I also like Sierra Nevada.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like all sorts of beers. I guess I drink Guinness, Bass and Negra most. Really, I will drink anything not wet farty. Drip coffee is just wrong. It has no place outside a gas station.

You forgot Keystone Light.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads