• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why can't i find vertical-stripe polos?

acole

Reaction score
My favorite polo shirt is a no-name cotton pique with large (5") vertical stripes or panels in hunter green, navy, burgundy, and cream, purchased for $2.50 at Goodwill. Â As you can probably infer from this, I'm somewhat skeptical about the concept of "high-end" polo shirts--but I really do like vertical stripes. Â So I went in search of more recently, assuming it would be a simple task akin to finding a Philips screwdriver in lieu of a flat-blade. Â Well, either I was wrong, or I haven't looked in the right place yet, because with very few exceptions all the striped polos I've seen in stores and online are horizontals. Â There must be a conspiracy.
sadlike.gif
This being StyleForum, I have no doubt someone will be along presently to explain just why vertical-stripe polos are très outrÃ
00a9.png
and what this says about our society.
cheesy.gif
  In the meantime, though, can anyone recommend a good source?  Where are they hiding 'em all?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Of course the proper solution to this problem is to acquire a desirable pattern in a horizontal-stripe polo and then only wear it while performing the 'wino crawl' thus rendering the stripes vertical to the upright/upstanding viewer and availing yourself of the advantages of not only the prone-in-gutter position aforementioned but the rare vertical stripe pattern as well.

Uh.. nevermind.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

tdial

Reaction score
Tiger Woods wore a couple of vertically striped polos a few years ago. One he wore in the Masters. It was white with black vertical stripes, I believe. It looked rather odd, and I think Nike doesn't sell the shirt any more (probably because it looks strange). Tiger's 6'2, 185 lbs and about 5% body fat. I can only imagine what the shirt would look like someone not as statuesque as he is. Funny, I think the vertical stripes on a polo shirt accentuate one's girth rather than hide it, but that's just me. Here's another picture I found with Tiger wearing vertical stripes. It looks kind of funny to me:
tiger-woods-pic.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads