Why can't i find vertical-stripe polos?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acole, Sep 27, 2004.

1. acole

acole Senior member

My favorite polo shirt is a no-name cotton pique with large (5") vertical stripes or panels in hunter green, navy, burgundy, and cream, purchased for $2.50 at Goodwill.  As you can probably infer from this, I'm somewhat skeptical about the concept of "high-end" polo shirts--but I really do like vertical stripes.  So I went in search of more recently, assuming it would be a simple task akin to finding a Philips screwdriver in lieu of a flat-blade.  Well, either I was wrong, or I haven't looked in the right place yet, because with very few exceptions all the striped polos I've seen in stores and online are horizontals.  There must be a conspiracy. [​IMG] This being StyleForum, I have no doubt someone will be along presently to explain just why vertical-stripe polos are très outrÃ[​IMG] and what this says about our society. [​IMG]   In the meantime, though, can anyone recommend a good source?  Where are they hiding 'em all?

2. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Of course the proper solution to this problem is to acquire a desirable pattern in a horizontal-stripe polo and then only wear it while performing the 'wino crawl' thus rendering the stripes vertical to the upright/upstanding viewer and availing yourself of the advantages of not only the prone-in-gutter position aforementioned but the rare vertical stripe pattern as well.

Uh.. nevermind.

3. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

4. Oltmann

Oltmann Senior member

Flash files worked for me.

*insomniac*

5. tdial

tdial Senior member

Tiger Woods wore a couple of vertically striped polos a few years ago. One he wore in the Masters. It was white with black vertical stripes, I believe. It looked rather odd, and I think Nike doesn't sell the shirt any more (probably because it looks strange). Tiger's 6'2, 185 lbs and about 5% body fat. I can only imagine what the shirt would look like someone not as statuesque as he is. Funny, I think the vertical stripes on a polo shirt accentuate one's girth rather than hide it, but that's just me. Here's another picture I found with Tiger wearing vertical stripes. It looks kind of funny to me: [​IMG]