Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Why can't I find a good pea coat?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by pdipaolo, Jan 10, 2011.

1. pdipaolo

pdipaolo New Member

Has anyone else gone crazy trying to find a decent, well-fitting pea coat? Looking for a 36 short, single breasted, black, wool pea coat, but I honestly can't find one anywhere. I just want something simple; no designs, no extra buttons on the chest or shoulder, no zipper/second layer underneath, and not incredibly expensive (I'm willing to spend $80-$140). I've been to multiple locations of Macys, Burlington Coat Factory, Filenes Basement, JCrew, Banana Republic, and have shopped online, all to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions? If I find something close that might be a little loose in the chest, is it possible to have it tailored (without being incredibly noticed?)

2. Kyoung05

Kyoung05 Senior member

Has anyone else gone crazy trying to find a decent, well-fitting pea coat? Looking for a 36 short, single breasted, black, wool pea coat, but I honestly can't find one anywhere. I just want something simple; no designs, no extra buttons on the chest or shoulder, no zipper/second layer underneath, and not incredibly expensive (I'm willing to spend $80-$140). I've been to multiple locations of Macys, Burlington Coat Factory, Filenes Basement, JCrew, Banana Republic, and have shopped online, all to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions? If I find something close that might be a little loose in the chest, is it possible to have it tailored (without being incredibly noticed?)

I believe a "pea coat," by definition, is double-breasted. Secondly, while a tailor can take in a coat that fits too largely, given your budget, I don't know if it would be worth it. FWIW, my tailor charges about $40-60 to take the body of a coat/jacket. Honestly, your budget is pretty low for a "decent" coat. For your budget, try looking at H&M or Uniqlo. Also, try looking at the B&S forum for used coats - you might be able to find something that suits you.

3. westinghouse

westinghouse Senior member

4. max1227

max1227 Member

5. Twotone

Twotone Senior member

Pea coats are double breasted. Google "car coat" and you will find lots of single breasted coats.

I believe a "pea coat," by definition, is double-breasted. Secondly, while a tailor can take in a coat that fits too largely, given your budget, I don't know if it would be worth it. FWIW, my tailor charges about $40-60 to take the body of a coat/jacket. Honestly, your budget is pretty low for a "decent" coat. For your budget, try looking at H&M or Uniqlo. Also, try looking at the B&S forum for used coats - you might be able to find something that suits you.

6. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Probably for the same reason you can't find the pea coat thread.

7. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

similarly, I am looking for a monk strap, but with RED laces. anyone?

8. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

pdipaolo for the budget you have to work with, you won't find anything decent new.
    If you're not opposed to the idea of thrift stores, then try as many of them as you can until you find one. then get it dry cleaned.

9. Lightbringer

Lightbringer Senior member

I honestly do not know what sort of coat you are looking for. Pea coats are definitionally double-breasted and generally navy.

10. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

Just get a donkey jacket. Alternatively try and get through the next few weeks and you won't have to worry about it till nest Autumn when once again pea coats will be rammed down our throats by the fashion powers that be.

I hate the winter for a number of reasons, not least of which is the annual deluge of pea coats.

11. velvel87

velvel87 Senior member

As far as peacoats go, I find schott nyc to make awesome peacoats. The coats are well made and extremely warm and durable. However, you want a single breasted coat, which is then not actually a peacoat. Check it out:

http://www.schottnyc.com/products/me...elton-wool.htm

12. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

similarly, I am looking for a monk strap, but with RED laces. anyone?

[​IMG] Very funny.

13. wsblend

wsblend Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I suggest you use your brain and actually understand what you want.

As said, if you want to pay less, a thrift store will be the way to go.

If you want new and want an exact size, then this is it.

You can call it "incredibly expensive" if you want to.