• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why can't brooksbrothers.com get suits off backorder?

soupcxan

Reaction score
Last week during BB's 50% off suit sale I put in an order for a 38R navy stripe Fitzgerald. This ought to be a pretty common size/color combination, not a seasonal fabric. It said it was backordered until 9/19. Fine.

It's a week later and my order now shows a backorder of 9/27. Basicially every day that goes by, they are moving the backorder date further out by the same amount. Searching the forum, this seems to be a common problem with BB.com. I am sure that even at 50% off, they are still making a decent margin on their suits. In this economy, I would think that retailers are desperate for every dollar they can get - so why doesn't the online division get some suits in stock? Or find it at a local store and have it shipped out? Does BB really not need my business?

Anyone have some tips on how to get them to pick up the pace on this? Is it possible to transfer an online order to a store (whose SA could then find the suit and have it sent in)?

Cashmoney

Reaction score
but in this economy, BB is probably trying to reduce inventory as a way to cut expenses. that's what all other big retailers are doing.

so getting you a suit in your size may take a bit longer.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Unfortunately, this is very typical of BB for online purchases.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cashmoney
but in this economy, BB is probably trying to reduce inventory as a way to cut expenses. that's what all other big retailers are doing.

+1

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cashmoney

I was in BB over the weekend, and they confirmed this. They stock fewer items and sizes for each item. In fact, they have had to get most of the items I purchased this year from other stores.

soupcxan

Reaction score
Totally agree with your reasoning that inventories are being cut to reduce costs, but there's a big difference between a retail store that has high overheads and limited space, and a warehouse that has to serve the entire country. Can't they afford to keep at least the basic colors (navy, charcoal) in stock in common sizes? Even if they can't do that, why don't they know their backorder date with certainty? Their supplier ought to be able to tell them approximately when the goods are going to be ready...I don't mind if its a month away as long as it doesn't change every day!

Happydayz

Reaction score
BB is having inventory problems in their brick and mortar stores as well. There's a chain-wide shortage that was severely exacerbated by the 50% off sale

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Happydayz
BB is having inventory problems in their brick and mortar stores as well. There's a chain-wide shortage that was severely exacerbated by the 50% off sale

yep. your backorder suits are going to be done by "october at best" which is what we were told. They are cutting production on tux's and other things to crank out the 1818 suits, which they need a couple thousand of. which also means the stores won't be getting any inventory as well.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CYstyle
yep. your backorder suits are going to be done by "october at best" which is what we were told. They are cutting production on tux's and other things to crank out the 1818 suits, which they need a couple thousand of. which also means the stores won't be getting any inventory as well.
I was told the fall BF won't be in stores until October, is this right? This seems awfully late for fall goods.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by soupcxan
Last week during BB's 50% off suit sale I put in an order for a 38R navy stripe Fitzgerald. This ought to be a pretty common size/color combination, not a seasonal fabric. It said it was backordered until 9/19. Fine.

It's a week later and my order now shows a backorder of 9/27. Basicially every day that goes by, they are moving the backorder date further out by the same amount. Searching the forum, this seems to be a common problem with BB.com. I am sure that even at 50% off, they are still making a decent margin on their suits. In this economy, I would think that retailers are desperate for every dollar they can get - so why doesn't the online division get some suits in stock? Or find it at a local store and have it shipped out? Does BB really not need my business?

Anyone have some tips on how to get them to pick up the pace on this? Is it possible to transfer an online order to a store (whose SA could then find the suit and have it sent in)?

If you see a product on backorder for three weeks it means that it will be available IF they re-order it. Do not expect to see it delivered.

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I was told the fall BF won't be in stores until October, is this right? This seems awfully late for fall goods.

They said last week of Sept, but that probably means, first or 2nd week of October to be safe. it is late...=_= don't want to knock on BB, but late fall BF and this 50% off suit sale was not very great execution.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The more they make to order, they less they need to discount in 2010.

Hollowthorn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
The more they make to order, they less they need to discount in 2010.
Basically this. They need to cut back on BF stuff.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hollowthorn
They need to cut back on BF stuff.
CYstyle, I'm guessing that Thom Browne's contract for BF won't be extended beyond 2011. Any speculation on who will design the line for 2012?

soupcxan

Reaction score
This all seems like a pretty crappy way to run a supply chain. I would ditch them if I could find a suit that fits me as well as the fitz for $500 but so far I've had no luck. So I'm at BB's mercy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads