1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

why buy/own DVDs?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by matadorpoeta, Jun 22, 2006.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I only buy certain movies I like, which is very few.

2. dman1201

dman1201 Member

Originally Posted by j
    I was just going to ask a similar question. A lot of people, myself included, like to watch good movies over and over again. Others can't watch something more than once or twice, since they "know how it ends". I don't personally understand that, but it's a matter of taste. Can you listen to a song or an album more than once? You know how it ends, after all. What about reading a book?

To the original question of why we own so many DVDs. I think its a man thing. I have close to 1000 DVDs. I love the look women get when they come over. Some are crappy, and may have been bought at the local Walmart bargain bin but you'd be surprised to know how many chicks dig crappy monvies.

As far as for what j wrote, all depends on your favorite genre. I like documentaries. mysteries and dramas.....ok, comendy too but I cant watch Law and Order over and over again. Pretty soon you know the whole story and start looking at what the people in the background are doing.

3. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

One flaw of Netflix is that they don't have the uncut European Version of the Professional. I saw a cut version, and I want to see the original, but it seems to have gone out of print or something. The same thing with Little Mermaid, actually. It was released on DVD for something like 3 months and is not being re-released again until like 2007 or something. Craziness. That Ariel was sure hot when I was in 4th grade.
    Amazon has it.

4. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

I've listened to the audio commentary on almost all my DVD's that have them. Then again, I actually like movies, unlike some people who obviously only watch them as escapism or a distraction. There isnt anything wrong with that, I suppose. And I'm not going to knock you for renting a movie once and never watching it again.

I own about 500 movies for the same reasons Tokyo slim does, there are some paintings I don't get tired to look at and this is why I visit museums more than once and buy artbooks, I have the same way of looking at movies. If you factor in that a lot of movies I own aren't released in North America, buying DVDs becomes a necessity for the serious cinephile that I am.

5. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

The same thing with Little Mermaid, actually. It was released on DVD for something like 3 months and is not being re-released again until like 2007 or something. Craziness. That Ariel was sure hot when I was in 4th grade.

This is just Disney policy. They only release movies for a very limited release time (like a year or so) and then put them back in the vault for a number of years. I think it is thought to generate more demand for them when they are released.

bob

6. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

7. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

That was funny Brad.

I tend to own very few DVDs- music.

Clint Eastwood (I can hear certain rogue elements of the Forum chortling from here)

It's a Wonderful Life

The Wall (watched repeatedly in various states of disrepair) [​IMG]

8. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

Clint Eastwood (I can hear certain rogue elements of the Forum chortling from here)

high plains drifter

i could stand to watch that one again.

9. Earthmover

Earthmover Senior member

This is just Disney policy. They only release movies for a very limited release time (like a year or so) and then put them back in the vault for a number of years. I think it is thought to generate more demand for them when they are released.

bob

This is true, but it was a special case with The Little Mermaid. Most people don't even remember it being released because it was released at a time when DVDs weren't really popular, and I believe it was for a shorter duration than others. There's precious few copies from that edition (I guess their strategery worked...), and it didn't even happen in the way other Disney DVDs happened, where it was advertised heavily and basically the whole world knew it was released and that they only had a certain time to buy it. In any case, I am counting down to the new re-release.

10. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

Not sure if this has been said before, but I have a DVD collection of movies and like watching them over and over because I get something new out of it every time.