• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why Bespoke Shirts?

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$875 depending solely** upon the fabric selected.

Paying this amount for a cotton shirt is a nonsens. This is simply snobism. I guess you can make a very good bespoke shirt for 3 time less (T&A, H&K, Charvet)

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alex - write it, just don't post it. No sense cluttering your thread with an ernest fight. Take 3 beers and call me in the morning.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alex - write it, just don't post it.  No sense cluttering your thread with an ernest fight.  Take 3 beers and call me in the morning.
Are you talking to me?

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ernest - I was addressing Alex, I know Alex, to use a subtle reference to a famous quote which will pass benignly over your head... You, Sir, are no Alex.

uriahheep

Reaction score
Ernest, are you familiar with the movie Taxi Driver? Manton, I believe that the Italian collar AK referred to is a collar without a collar band. Anyone who believes (or knows) otherwise, feel free to disagree with (or correct) me.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ernest, are you familiar with the movie Taxi Driver?
My true name is Ernest-Travis

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ernest - I was addressing Alex, I know Alex, to use a subtle reference to a famous quote which will pass benignly over your head... You, Sir, are no Alex.
3 Beers? Do you mean Alex is alcoholic?

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Answers to Todays Questions: 1] Proper fit of a French Cuff 2] What is an "Italian Collar" I cannot locate any close-up photo strictly showing how a French cuff should fit. The three photos here all show properly fitting cuffs. Also, to the doubting Mantons & JCuseys of the world, please note that in every case the arms shown are either bent - in some cases as much as 90º and in one case about 150º. Yet the cuffs remain properly showing. In the instances of all six arms, I can attest to the fact that every cuff hangs to the proper distance above the fingers when the arms are straight. There is absolutely no additional fabric present which would permit the sleeve to hang down to the palm if the cuff were unlinked. Sorry about the tacky photos - they are all I have relating to this subject.
FrenchCuffsProperShow01.jpg
This is a really bad photo of a traditionally termed "Italian Collar". I shall try to shoot a better one on a mannequin when I finish the one I shall be making tomorrow in Royal Blue Irish Summer Linen.
ItalianCollarFolded01.jpg

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Alex - I just thought that I'd let you know, I'm totally straight and all that, but I can't stop staring at your mustache. Sorry.
smile.gif
note - I resisted writing an "Ode To The Mustache" just now. You have all been spared. The damn thing is mesmerizing. I think it's trying to say something to me.... help.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The thrust of this Series of threads is to explain some of the reasons why bespoke has advantages over R-T-W. To the best of my knowledge, bespoke or M-T-M shirts are available in a price range which begins just below $100 per shirt and ranges up close to $1000.

The price point you prefer does not change these advantages. At the lower price points, the quantitative variances may be limited along with the qualititive selection. Neither of these obvious facts alters in any way the premise upon which this thread is based. Thus, it is applicable to all budgets.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tokyo - I am personally more mesmerized by the fact that in these photos my hair was still black.
cry.gif
EDIT: Just noticed this at the bottom of your post:
"Beauty is to be found in disarray."
No wonder you find the mustache interesting.
biggrin.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Truely I envy the hirstute facial accoutrement. I, due to a tragic childhood firecracker accident, am unable to grow one. Or maybe its just the Asian thing. Disarray indeed.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread:

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Truely I envy the hirstute facial accoutrement. I, due to a tragic childhood firecracker accident, am unable to grow one. Or maybe its just the Asian thing. Disarray indeed.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread:
You can stick a fake moustache.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Manton, I believe that the Italian collar AK referred to is a collar without a collar band.  Anyone who believes (or knows) otherwise, feel free to disagree with (or correct) me.
Interesting. And, looking at the photo, you appear to be right. So the leaf is one large piece that folds over? It's not quite that there's no band, in other words, only that the band is part of the leaf.

I can see why that's harder to make. But what practical or stylistic advantage does it confer?

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are supposed to be so overwhelmed by sheer beauty that the typical mantonisms (logical technical musings) are forgotten. As your fortitude obviously exceeds my photographic abilities - it certainly couldn't be the shirt - here goes:

The entire collar assembly is a cohesive whole beginning at either front shirt hem, continuing 'round the neck, and thence to the other shirt hem. Once assembled, it cannot be disassembled for corrections or authors alterations. Hence the bucket o' additional bucks.

Its advantage and beauty lies in the pleasing and consistent curve of the 'roll'. The manner of construction causes this roll to be soft and gradual. Additionally, the strength of construction prevents the shirt from the primary failing of most "sport" shirts, unwanted opening/closing and 'gapping' below the neck. If 'twere meant for the distaff, one could opine that even while bending over forward nothing would be showing that was not supposed to. Naturally, the degree of desired "not supposed to" is adjustable through judicious selection of the placement of the first button.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads