1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Why Barneys is losing me as a customer

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by sq4you, Sep 19, 2012.

1. sq4you

sq4you Senior member

I think Barney's CO-OPs should function as the Gateway Drug. At least, they did for me. I bought stuff at the CO-OP in georgetown and then got conditioned to spend more and more...then when I went to new york id go into....duh...barneys flagship

yes, it's called the Barneys Warehouse sale....happening in a city not near you.

2. jet

jet Senior member

I should have a blog where I tell people what they should be buying.

Seriously though, Barney's is fucking stupid. Instead of focusing on the objective of their original business plan they revert to some perceived fail safe recessionary bullshit philosophy to bring their inventory in line with what every other retailer is carrying. Now that's smart, let's carry basic shit everyone else has. Here's a news flash, people don't really need the same prada black button up season after season. If they're going to spend money they want some different and unique shit. Not the same shit you carry season in, season out. If they want to spend money they want to feel like it's worth it, they don't want the same redundant and mundane garbage that costs 5 franklins. If they're going to cough up that kind of paper they want something special. Whoever is in charge should be fired.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  3. AR_Six

AR_Six Senior member

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I will. Simon Doonan is one of the smart people of fashion, and he has spoken about this in great detail - about how it is not designers, but buyers, that double down on basics during economic downturns.

There needs a balance between saleable and dramatic pieces. Me, I'm probably not the guy who is going to spring for some crazy piece, but you know what? That crazy piece might bring me in, and maybe I'll end up buying something that I would actually wear. This is essentially how I get drawn into every boutique, especially the best ones. Yojhi, Rick, a huge Astrakhan coat? All cool, and they brought me into Alan Bilzerian, but I have no need for a Astrakhan coat, and non-baller that I am, I can't afford to spend $10K for a hallowe'en costume. But I spied some great leather products, some great accessories. etc... And those, those I will buy. If I see a window with Wings+Horns and RRL jeans, I'm not going to be excited, even though I will buy those. Barney's windows used to be amazing. Now, they are hohum, neither here nor there.

Obviously, the buying needs calibration. Buying for a big store is a huge PITA, and it's more than just "shit I think that I like", but the data-mining for a place like Barney's is also very rudimentary, from what I understand, and I would doubt that they have any sophisticated forecast models (certainly, if they do, their digital presence hides this strength well) so they either have to really invest in a good data science team, or go by some financials, and gut.

3 people like this.
  5. AR_Six

AR_Six Senior member

You got cut off, but I am going to go ahead and assume that the balance of your reply was going to be entirely civil and not at all tongue-in-cheek, which is precisely the opposite of the catty snark I have come to expect from this forum where Faust is concerned. Shame on all of you for your basic human decency. Such behaviour has no place on the internets.

6. e0d9n0b5

e0d9n0b5 Senior member

faust probably has a little dick bc of all the big swords

1 person likes this.
  7. Teger

Teger Senior member

whatever faust thinks MUST be true

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Re. Faust - I don't think that we agree on how forums ought to be run, and to me, he is dogmatic in the same way that some of the less circumspect MC posters are. The best posters, everywhere, like Rach, Jefferyd, and Parker (and there are lots of others - sorry if I left you out of a list of 2), realize that fashion is a commercial enterprise as well as having an artistic component, and that Barneys, and other large retailers, simply cannot sell purely to a singular customer, and can look beyond their personal tastes to see what might be greater underlying problems with the business (and I don't think that it's all in the buying or the marketing.) However, on the buying front, there are simply not enough goth ninjas or fashion heads or Kiton suit lovers to sustain a larger business.

9. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

i buy wherever has the piece i want in my size i could give a fuck about a relationship with an SA. who gives a shit? I have actual friends don't need an SA calling me when they know they have the perfect thing for me i.e., they want my money. easier I guess when I don't jump bandwagons and only buy ro and nike.

1 person likes this.
  10. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Rico Suave

11. Bussit

Bussit Senior member

I couldn't care less about building a relationship with a SA either, but building a relationship with a SA doesn't necessarily mean their only concern is to make money (people have to eat, right?). Some people just do not have the time to shop around and rely on SA's for their stuff; a personal shopper, if you will. Aside from that, sometimes it's nice to have some sort of interaction with someone when you're shopping. Well, at least for me it is.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  12. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

i think people want to feel like fake ballers because an SA knows their name and putting a sweater aside from you is different from having a personal shopper

1 person likes this.
  13. palma

palma Senior member

I couldn't give less of a shit about building relations with SAs either. Real ballaz treat them like cleaning rags. Seriously though I have been given incorrect info about fits, sizing and material just because the SA was too lazy to check or just made an assumption. I have worked in sales on commission and most salesman would either take the approach of superficial service and not giving a shit about customers, but trying to pump as many sales through as possible (always resulted in a low success rate and overall commission) and others who knew their shit and respected the customer's intelligence and success rate was much higher and were more likely to move up in the company. Good service is good business yo! Even if working at Barneys is another job and they are not as enthusiastic about clothing as people on here.

14. jet

jet Senior member

Man when I was coppin up a storm from 06-09 I had the best SAs, they'd do crazy shit for me. Bought one of my sidezips that were 1k for 250.

15. sq4you

sq4you Senior member

Yah I don't understand why people are hating on the SA concept. It's awesome when u develop a relationship where they give you discounts, put shit on hold for you before anyone else gets it, mail stuff to your house just to try on, get you drinks and whatever else you want while you're walking around looking at stuff, and hook you up with deals other people don't get.

16. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

IMO less important for non-ballers. :violin:

17. stevent

stevent Senior member

You don't really have to be a baller to get great service, just spend a few minutes actually talking to them vs asking about clothes. Get to know them personally and let them get to know you and something they can remember you by. SAs at Barneys are pushing product so I haven't really built any good relationships. But smaller stores and places like RL / BB are great and it's always nice if your SA will track inventory on limited stock and let you know if it's about to sell out / hold it during the sale. Also nice if they give you discounts on items they are not supposed to discount. (ie shell shoes for a 25% off for "defects" which were essentially a few scuffs on sole. I keep names down in an excel spreadsheet as well, not too much info but just basic notes, a habit of networking that I've developed

18. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Hard to get price breaks unless you're a big spender - the other stuff is still helpful though.

19. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

For me barneys SA is I want to find some stuff and they can find it for me then ship it to me. I don't mind remind their names, like someone said they need to eat. If they find something or the size I want. They should get the commission.

As for the SA put something aside for you. I think it's called product reservation. When you come back you found they still have the product for you, you should appreciate the service. Fake ballers? No such thing. Real ballers don't shop in store. Stores send everything to their home and let them try on.

20. alwaysraw

alwaysraw Senior member

If you guys want to meet a badass SA at Barneys COOP just head over to Glendale, CA and talk to Jose Lemus! He's the nicest dude, knows a shitload about the brands and products they stock, and just has a general and honest love for mens clothing. He'll help ya track down hard to find stuff, put things on hold, etc.

Jose Lemus
    Men's Selling Supervisor
    Barneys New York
    Glendale, Store #333
    869 Americana Way
    Glendale CA 91210
    Phone (818)254.3170
    Fax (818)254.3178
    Jlemus@barneys.com

1 person likes this.