• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why Barneys is losing me as a customer

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Luxury brands and retailers, with notable exceptions, have been notoriously slow on the draw when it comes to digital. and when they have gone into digital, whether social, media, e-commerce, or something else altogether, they drop the ball with frightening alacrity. This is in contrast to small, mobile, retailers and brands that have figured out how to navigate, for example, places like Styleforum, rather than accruing 1 billion useless Facebook likes.

Barney's has been in financial trouble for sometime. There is a reason that we don't have Barney's products to be reviewed. Their product taxonomy is horrible, as in pants listed under vacuum cleaners terrible.

It's usually not a secret to anyone why brands fail. They either lose sight of the big picture (see VHS), or they don't pay attention to the details. The trick is to do both. And at the core of getting the details right is listening to customer feedback. Why do you think that big brands pay good money focus groups? And why do you think that I read every little comment about the platform and the forum? Yeah, I'd love it if everything was daisies, and everyone was kissing ******. And I'm sure that the VP of customer service would love to talk all day on the phone with people lavishing praise on Barneys. But that's just not how you make a go of things. Yes, ultimately, it's your enterprise, and you make the hard decisions, but you have to listen to counsel, no matter how bitter.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I have to say the staff at barneys in la is pretty bad I mean it is beverly hills though ironically the guys who work at the dior store on rodeo are the nicest ******* dudes. My best SA was in seattle but he was originally from NY so he used to get me all the jil I wanted and the west coast buys were actually superior to NY back then. The staff is real fake like steven said though, the only cool dude is the jamaican guy in shoes I always say wassup to him whenever I stop by. One dude got butthurt 5 years ago when I returned a raf space pullover from him and hasn't talked to me since lol. Everyone else outside the bh area is cool as **** and about as real as LA gets it's just that affluent area where you get dealt all the bullshit.

Last edited:

ExAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to say the staff at barneys in la is pretty bad I mean it is beverly hills though ironically the guys who work at the dior store on rodeo are the nicest ******* dudes. My best SA was in seattle but he was originally from NY so he used to get me all the jil I wanted and the west coast buys were actually superior to NY back then. The staff is real fake like steven said though, the only cool dude is the jamaican guy in shoes I always say wassup to him whenever I stop by. One dude got butthurt 5 years ago when I returned a raf space pullover from him and hasn't talked to me since lol. Everyone else outside the bh area is cool as **** and about as real as LA gets it's just that affluent area where you get dealt all the bullshit.
you're like the real life boy in the plastic bubble

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
koseh nanat

sq4you

Mid-level baller
Reaction score
ok now this is starting to get interesting.

tacobender

Reaction score
I usually post in the mens clothing forum, but someone emailed me this thread and checked it out. Most people know on this forum know I work for the Scottsdale store.

Glad to see two satisfied customer responses from our store!

I actually do agree that our website is lacking in several critical areas, and that some changes are going to be implemented. I like to chalk it up as "Barney's is great at fashion, IT - not so much"

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So far, the only sympathetic variables in this equation are the sales staff...

Rincon

Reaction score
Barney's dudes always seem to get the most bitter when your return ****.

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I pretty much only shop on Barney's 4th floor. SA's are friendly and they have some of my favorite brands (Cabourn, Post Overalls, Margaret Howell, etc.) The website is rubbish though.

sq4you

Mid-level baller
Reaction score

I pretty much only shop on Barney's 4th floor. SA's are friendly and they have some of my favorite brands (Cabourn, Post Overalls, Margaret Howell, etc.) The website is rubbish though.

haven't you learned anything.......if you haven't spent a minimum of $40,000 dollars on the 4th floor, then you are not entitled to tell barneys that their website sucks. and even if you have....you should just "***** normally" and keep it to yourself.

Last edited:

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score

haven't you learned anything.......if you haven't spent a minimum of $40,000 dollars on the 4th floor, then you are not entitled to tell barneys that their website sucks.

you didn't actually read my posts, did you? because I said at least 4 times that your complaints about the website are valid

sq4you

Mid-level baller
Reaction score

you didn't actually read my posts, did you? because I said at least 4 times that your complaints about the website are valid

yah i saw that you agreed with all that. but you also said I am not entitled to tell barneys their **** stinks because there are other customers who spend more than me

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SQ I don't think that's what teger was saying. I'd have to go back and re-read the whole thing, but his point wasn't that you don't have a right to complain, just that Barney's isn't necessarily going to listen because their LA stock is lame for a reason. I have a feeling that if they stocked the things you wanted, it would all sit there til sale season or get shipped to NY - their website may suck but they've been a B&M store for a long time and know their demographics.

I'd love for the Barney's here to get certain things, but it's not worth complaining about because I know it won't sell. Although actually I don't know who the **** is buying Junya and Rick here but whatever.

It's cool you got a response though, I've always had really good experience with barney's customer service.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads