1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Why Barneys is losing me as a customer

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by sq4you, Sep 19, 2012.

1. sq4you

sq4you Senior member

you get rick owens at your barneys? which one are you at?

i understand almost everything Mr Thompson told me.
    i understand there are differences in the brands that will sell.
    and i also understand that the avante garde pieces wont sell in LA....
    however i think the whole "rick wont sell in LA" is BS.

There are tons of celebs wearing rick...even taylor swift. maxfield gets 3 full racks of mens rick and it basically sells out every season. that shit even sells out in san diego which has notoriously boring style. even the one rack of men's rick in san diego did pretty decent (granted, i bought two of the items on there, i know there were some tall skinny asian and mexican dudes that bought it too). for this particular brand, i think it is just the exclusivity contract that maxfield holds and which barneys doesn't care to fight for. now if they were to tell me, barneys in LA doesnt carry Augusta or CCP because it wont sell....then yes, i will agree with them.

i guess the root problem is that the barneys on madison set the bar too high...

2. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

Boston. It's one small rack, but still. I didn't pay a ton of attention to it but pretty sure it's mainline, looked like a couple jackets, couple tees and some pants? Nothing crazy.

3. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

May be the case but it doesn't matter.

Barney's will do what they think they should do anyway. It's still good to hear from customers that fill a different demographic.

Hell, for all we know, SQ might be exactly who they're trying to target, they just don't know how to attract this type of customer.

1 person likes this.
  4. e0d9n0b5

e0d9n0b5 Senior member

drkshdw isn't a diffusion line

5. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

It's not? I still wouldn't know how to refer to non-drkshdw rick besides mainline tho

6. e0d9n0b5

e0d9n0b5 Senior member

its just a different aesthetic. its all still made by olmer & mirta or whatever its called.

7. sq4you

sq4you Senior member

are pigs flying? I think i agree with everything hendrix has said recently. :nodding:

i dont think you are wrong. the runway collection is the mainline. the drkshdw stuff may not be a diffusion but its definitely not the mainline either.

you can usually tell pretty easily because the drkshdw pieces have a giant black tapeworm attached to them.

8. London

London Senior member

Like LA Guy said earlier, Barney's hasn't been running a great business for over a decade. They've been through a succession of ownership/investment groups, CEO's and top merchants, and their business performance has been lagging.

9. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

I could see that. Despite the down economy, luxury shopping has been rather robust and places like SFA have experienced positive growth. I'm not sure how Barneys is doing, but I get the sense not as well. They need to be clearer about what they offer, that is, a particular aesthetic, all in one place, with an experience that sort of builds on enjoyable shopping.

10. johanm

johanm Senior member

Even Barneys NY is really boring retail experience IMO, at least above the first floor and the new shoe section. It has no energy or buzz. Just racks and racks of clothes which you can buy or not buy, who cares. Honestly going to Barneys is great for my personal finances because I can count on spotting all my wish list items and then becoming indifferent about them. It has pretty much the opposite effect as Bergdorf and even Saks to some extent, where I can't seem to leave without treating myself to something expensive and useless.

11. Teger

Teger Senior member

barney's has a lot of costs that smaller, one or two location stores like maxfields or atelier don't.

12. jet

jet Senior member

Madison barneys ain't that great either.

The reason LA can't have rick is because maxfield was the first place to carry him and they're the ones who gave rick his start in the business so he made an agreement that he wouldn't let anyone in the vicinity carry his shit, it's not up to barneys.

13. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

I think it also explains why Forty Five Ten is the only one in DFW carry rick.

14. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

It seems Barneys has only one option, then

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

15. sq4you

sq4you Senior member

16. sq4you

sq4you Senior member

17. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Rico Suave

Looks like I missed some good ol' wholesome SF fun, eh maybe next time

18. ffatt

ffatt Senior member

I still find myself purchasing at Barneys each season...although smaller boutiques now take up the lion's share of my spending each season or whatever jet praises :nest: Mr P takes none of my dollars (definition of boring buys), but hopefully that will change in the coming seasons. Anyways, I have also found that the buys at Barney's have definitely gotten more conservative. But I think it has to do with the economy. Retailers just don't want to take risks and carry things that don't carry mass appeal and must be sold at deep discounts. Am I wrong in thinking that the majority of customers at Barney's or other big box luxury stores are shopping there because for the recognized brand name and or because friends in their social circle shop there. Ever since 2008/9 Barneys has been appealing to this type of customer (there are far more of them than those looking for interesting pieces from nichey designers) hence, this shift in direction to plain and boring Mr P type buys....sad, but I think we'll have to wait till economy start bumpin' again and perhaps Barneys will return back to its roots.

SA's are blatanltly fake as fuck and more importantly ignorant about basic product info. But, definitely liking the new website.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  19. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

If u guys think mr Porter buying is boring when I'd say Dallas Barney's selection is way more boring.
    Maybe it's part of the reason they are closing. The store will remain open until Apr 2013.

20. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Will there be an everythingmustGO! liquidation supersale?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012