• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why Barneys is losing me as a customer

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All you do in both MC and here is ***** about how bad things are where you live in China. The worst part isn't the bitching, it's the manner in which you do it - with a feigned "is that how it is in the civilized world? I wouldn't know, being out here in the countryside".
Nobody cares. Go back to London/wherever you came from. Stop posting. Otherwise, carry on with your crappy job in silence.

Are you an American?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score

I got this same impression by reading his first post here. He's the sort of ex-pat attention whore that moves out to asia just so he can stand out as "the tall white guy" amongst a bunch of 5 foot asians. Now he feels the need to incessantly remind everyone how hard life is over in east bumblefuck china.
A modern day Phantom of the Opera. Feel his pain.....life has burdened him with a job in Xilinhot. The Great Wall of Disillusionment. So sad. Actually he probably couldn't get laid in western civilization or was just too socially awkward.

All you do in both MC and here is ***** about how bad things are where you live in China. The worst part isn't the bitching, it's the manner in which you do it - with a feigned "is that how it is in the civilized world? I wouldn't know, being out here in the countryside".
Nobody cares. Go back to London/wherever you came from. Stop posting. Otherwise, carry on with your crappy job in silence.

both of these, guy is insufferable

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are you an American?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score

I got this same impression by reading his first post here. He's the sort of ex-pat attention whore that moves out to asia just so he can stand out as "the tall white guy" amongst a bunch of 5 foot asians. Now he feels the need to incessantly remind everyone how hard life is over in east bumblefuck china.
A modern day Phantom of the Opera. Feel his pain.....life has burdened him with a job in Xilinhot. The Great Wall of Disillusionment. So sad. Actually he probably couldn't get laid in western civilization or was just too socially awkward.

both of these, guy is insufferable

andrewgreg

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If you want to complain how bad your life is, please move on to other place. This is styleforum. All you do is complaining. NOBODY CARES.

tellure

Reaction score
Having also moved from NYC to LA, I agree Barneys LA is pretty weak.

And I think everyone agrees the Barneys website is terrible. Mr. Porter is kicking everyone's ass. I love that they actually have measurements! Might be a bit of extra work for them but I'm guessing it saves a lot in sizing returns.

winston86dit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The one thing that I dislike about Barneys is that their online purchases have to be returned through the mail. I can no longer go to the local Barneys and do a return. Since this rule has been implemented 2-3 years ago, I stopped buying items online.

This is not true at all. I've ordered from Barneys all over the country and returned to my local Barneys store. No problems. No questions asked.

I have to say, I'm all for Barneys stepping up their online presence and overhauling their website but with that said, they are first and foremost a brick & mortar store. You can say they need to 'get with the times' but I think that is missing the point. There are now plenty of online retailers, strictly doing online and they do it well, in fact, better than Barneys could ever pull it off (without pouring a **** ton of money into it). Barneys is a designer department store, like Saks, like Bloomingdales, etc.
So that brings me to my next point, it should come as no surprise that staff is going to be across the board. I have been into a ton of Barneys locations across the country and have received good and bad service at every single one. Sometimes people have a bad day, some people are pompous, some cheery, etc. etc. It's all a part of the human condition.

As far as buys, I think most here hit it on the head. LA's customer base is vastly different than NY, no doubt about it. But, any item you could ever want from NY, you can order and have shipped to you or the store. No worries.

Also, it is not Barneys choice whether they can get Rick in their LA store. Rick and Maxfield (Mr. Perse actually) have and probably always will have, a long standing agreement on LA distribution of his clothing. Barneys LA was allowed DRKSHDW but that was it. This agreement is and was based on loyalty and friendship. Not such a bad thing, especially these days and so what, it's only a 10 minute drive from Wilshire to get Rick Owens.

In closing, I think if you don't like shopping there, do not believe in their business practices, or think they're not technologically sound enough, then by all means I support not shopping there. Lord knows there are tons of online and brick & mortar stores to do business with. I do believe however that the company is still doing a lot for fashion, especially given how the business has changed hands numerous times and staff, high and low, have come and gone. All of those things will inevitably lead to change (good and bad).

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm sure you can return online order at a Barney's retail location.

The two nearest Co Op branches started giving me issues with them. I bought 2 pairs of Lanvin sneakers since I didn't know how they run, same story with Thom cardigans. I returned one of each, and thought it would be an easy transaction. I went to the first Co Op, but they told me I had to mail it back. I thought that wasn't right so I went to the 2nd Co Op since I was going to go eat lunch around there anyway, and they gave me the same story. I had to mail both items back and waited a couple of weeks before my credit card was refunded. :satisfied:

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Check out the Barney's in Scottsdale.  I enjoy it more than the flagship store.

Guys there are incredibly nice. I bought a paid of balenciaga sneakers and they were so patient to put them on hold for me, let me try a million sizes and were straight up regarding my questions about styling and fit in wardrobe.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Philly Co-op store is difficult to read. I always see people shopping there but not a ton. It's in the wealthiest part of the center city where people walk a lot, so it can attract foot traffic. Problem is people in Philly with money are typically wearing big Italians suits or are hot-shot lawyers neither of which fit the Co-Op vibe (they go to Boyd's). Hipsters in the city usually don't have tons of cash and would prefer to be a real hipster (consignment others), rather than a high-fashion hipster making fun of them.

Good thing the staff rocks in the men's department and they do get great pieces from APC, BoO and CdG. Wish they had more of that and less of Shipley and Theory.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So you wrote a letter just so you could post it on SF?
You come across as a hopeless wank-stain trying (and failing miserably) to humble brag.

And smelling the sales associates? That's just plain creepy.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is absurd. Sq -- a pretty affluent consumer and obviously someone who liked Barney's NY a lot -- posted legitimate complaints about the Barney's in his location. They were not stupid complaints but complaints about the service and poor selection of clothing. I can't imagine a topic more suited to this forum, yet a bunch of jerkoffs feel compelled to tell Sq to shut up? I find this pretty interesting -- if it's not interesting to you, you don't have to respond.

Wow, I haven't been into S&D but it's nice to see the cast of the circle jerk has not changed.

His complainants *might* be valid but who cares. Just ***** like a normal person about how much cooler NYC is then LA, don't post a ******* essay.

YOLO EMSHI

Reaction score
lol I don't get this thread, people complain here all the time. Now people are complaining about other people and other people are complaining about people complaining about other people? Can't us brose just get along and cry together?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads