Why Barneys is losing me as a customer

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by sq4you, Sep 19, 2012.

1. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Are you an American?

2. jet

jet Persian Bro

both of these, guy is insufferable

3. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Are you an American?

4. jet

jet Persian Bro

both of these, guy is insufferable

5. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

Barney's? sounds Jewish.

6. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

If you want to complain how bad your life is, please move on to other place. This is styleforum. All you do is complaining. NOBODY CARES.

7. tellure

tellure Senior member

Having also moved from NYC to LA, I agree Barneys LA is pretty weak.

And I think everyone agrees the Barneys website is terrible. Mr. Porter is kicking everyone's ass. I love that they actually have measurements! Might be a bit of extra work for them but I'm guessing it saves a lot in sizing returns.

8. winston86dit

winston86dit Senior member

This is not true at all. I've ordered from Barneys all over the country and returned to my local Barneys store. No problems. No questions asked.

I have to say, I'm all for Barneys stepping up their online presence and overhauling their website but with that said, they are first and foremost a brick & mortar store. You can say they need to 'get with the times' but I think that is missing the point. There are now plenty of online retailers, strictly doing online and they do it well, in fact, better than Barneys could ever pull it off (without pouring a shit ton of money into it). Barneys is a designer department store, like Saks, like Bloomingdales, etc.
    So that brings me to my next point, it should come as no surprise that staff is going to be across the board. I have been into a ton of Barneys locations across the country and have received good and bad service at every single one. Sometimes people have a bad day, some people are pompous, some cheery, etc. etc. It's all a part of the human condition.

As far as buys, I think most here hit it on the head. LA's customer base is vastly different than NY, no doubt about it. But, any item you could ever want from NY, you can order and have shipped to you or the store. No worries.

Also, it is not Barneys choice whether they can get Rick in their LA store. Rick and Maxfield (Mr. Perse actually) have and probably always will have, a long standing agreement on LA distribution of his clothing. Barneys LA was allowed DRKSHDW but that was it. This agreement is and was based on loyalty and friendship. Not such a bad thing, especially these days and so what, it's only a 10 minute drive from Wilshire to get Rick Owens.

In closing, I think if you don't like shopping there, do not believe in their business practices, or think they're not technologically sound enough, then by all means I support not shopping there. Lord knows there are tons of online and brick & mortar stores to do business with. I do believe however that the company is still doing a lot for fashion, especially given how the business has changed hands numerous times and staff, high and low, have come and gone. All of those things will inevitably lead to change (good and bad).

9. wj4

wj4 Senior member

The two nearest Co Op branches started giving me issues with them. I bought 2 pairs of Lanvin sneakers since I didn't know how they run, same story with Thom cardigans. I returned one of each, and thought it would be an easy transaction. I went to the first Co Op, but they told me I had to mail it back. I thought that wasn't right so I went to the 2nd Co Op since I was going to go eat lunch around there anyway, and they gave me the same story. I had to mail both items back and waited a couple of weeks before my credit card was refunded. :satisfied:

10. diniro

diniro Senior member

maybe it's cause you're a fucking weirdo, dawg.

11. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

Guys there are incredibly nice. I bought a paid of balenciaga sneakers and they were so patient to put them on hold for me, let me try a million sizes and were straight up regarding my questions about styling and fit in wardrobe.

12. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

Philly Co-op store is difficult to read. I always see people shopping there but not a ton. It's in the wealthiest part of the center city where people walk a lot, so it can attract foot traffic. Problem is people in Philly with money are typically wearing big Italians suits or are hot-shot lawyers neither of which fit the Co-Op vibe (they go to Boyd's). Hipsters in the city usually don't have tons of cash and would prefer to be a real hipster (consignment others), rather than a high-fashion hipster making fun of them.

Good thing the staff rocks in the men's department and they do get great pieces from APC, BoO and CdG. Wish they had more of that and less of Shipley and Theory.

13. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

So you wrote a letter just so you could post it on SF?
    You come across as a hopeless wank-stain trying (and failing miserably) to humble brag.

And smelling the sales associates? That's just plain creepy.

14. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Wow, I haven't been into S&D but it's nice to see the cast of the circle jerk has not changed.

His complainants *might* be valid but who cares. Just bitch like a normal person about how much cooler NYC is then LA, don't post a fucking essay.

15. YOLO EMSHI

YOLO EMSHI Senior member

lol I don't get this thread, people complain here all the time. Now people are complaining about other people and other people are complaining about people complaining about other people? Can't us brose just get along and cry together?