• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why Barneys is losing me as a customer

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
Looks like I missed some good ol' wholesome SF fun, eh maybe next time

ffatt

Reaction score
I still find myself purchasing at Barneys each season...although smaller boutiques now take up the lion's share of my spending each season or whatever jet praises :nest: Mr P takes none of my dollars (definition of boring buys), but hopefully that will change in the coming seasons. Anyways, I have also found that the buys at Barney's have definitely gotten more conservative. But I think it has to do with the economy. Retailers just don't want to take risks and carry things that don't carry mass appeal and must be sold at deep discounts. Am I wrong in thinking that the majority of customers at Barney's or other big box luxury stores are shopping there because for the recognized brand name and or because friends in their social circle shop there. Ever since 2008/9 Barneys has been appealing to this type of customer (there are far more of them than those looking for interesting pieces from nichey designers) hence, this shift in direction to plain and boring Mr P type buys....sad, but I think we'll have to wait till economy start bumpin' again and perhaps Barneys will return back to its roots.

SA's are blatanltly fake as **** and more importantly ignorant about basic product info. But, definitely liking the new website.

Last edited:

andrewgreg

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If u guys think mr Porter buying is boring when I'd say Dallas Barney's selection is way more boring.
Maybe it's part of the reason they are closing. The store will remain open until Apr 2013.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Will there be an everythingmustGO! liquidation supersale?

Last edited:

sq4you

Mid-level baller
Reaction score

I still myself purchasing at Barneys each season...although smaller boutiques now take up the lion's share of my spending each season or whatever jet praises :nest: Mr P takes none of my dollars (definition of boring buys), but hopefully that will change in the coming seasons. Anyways, I have also found that the buys at Barney's have definitely gotten more conservative. But I think it has to do with the economy. Retailers just don't want to take risks and carry things that don't carry mass appeal and must be sold at deep discounts. Am I wrong in thinking that the majority of customers at Barney's or other big box luxury stores are shopping there because for the recognized brand name and or because friends in their social circle shop there. Ever since 2008/9 Barneys has been appealing to this type of customer (there are far more of them than those looking for interesting pieces from nichey designers) hence, this shift in direction to plain and boring Mr P type buys....sad, but I think we'll have to wait till economy start bumpin' again and perhaps Barneys will return back to its roots.
SA's are blatanltly fake as **** and more importantly ignorant about basic product info. But, definitely liking the new website.

I think Barney's CO-OPs should function as the Gateway Drug. At least, they did for me. I bought stuff at the CO-OP in georgetown and then got conditioned to spend more and more...then when I went to new york id go into....duh...barneys flagship

Will there be an everythingmustGO! liquidation supersale?

yes, it's called the Barneys Warehouse sale....happening in a city not near you.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score

I still find myself purchasing at Barneys each season...although smaller boutiques now take up the lion's share of my spending each season or whatever jet praises :nest: Mr P takes none of my dollars (definition of boring buys), but hopefully that will change in the coming seasons. Anyways, I have also found that the buys at Barney's have definitely gotten more conservative. But I think it has to do with the economy. Retailers just don't want to take risks and carry things that don't carry mass appeal and must be sold at deep discounts. Am I wrong in thinking that the majority of customers at Barney's or other big box luxury stores are shopping there because for the recognized brand name and or because friends in their social circle shop there. Ever since 2008/9 Barneys has been appealing to this type of customer (there are far more of them than those looking for interesting pieces from nichey designers) hence, this shift in direction to plain and boring Mr P type buys....sad, but I think we'll have to wait till economy start bumpin' again and perhaps Barneys will return back to its roots.

I should have a blog where I tell people what they should be buying.

Seriously though, Barney's is ******* stupid. Instead of focusing on the objective of their original business plan they revert to some perceived fail safe recessionary bullshit philosophy to bring their inventory in line with what every other retailer is carrying. Now that's smart, let's carry basic **** everyone else has. Here's a news flash, people don't really need the same prada black button up season after season. If they're going to spend money they want some different and unique ****. Not the same **** you carry season in, season out. If they want to spend money they want to feel like it's worth it, they don't want the same redundant and mundane garbage that costs 5 franklins. If they're going to cough up that kind of paper they want something special. Whoever is in charge should be fired.

Last edited:

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Oh come on, people, how does this sail past? It's right up there on the tee and nobody is going to take a swing? Really?

I will. Simon Doonan is one of the smart people of fashion, and he has spoken about this in great detail - about how it is not designers, but buyers, that double down on basics during economic downturns.

There needs a balance between saleable and dramatic pieces. Me, I'm probably not the guy who is going to spring for some crazy piece, but you know what? That crazy piece might bring me in, and maybe I'll end up buying something that I would actually wear. This is essentially how I get drawn into every boutique, especially the best ones. Yojhi, Rick, a huge Astrakhan coat? All cool, and they brought me into Alan Bilzerian, but I have no need for a Astrakhan coat, and non-baller that I am, I can't afford to spend $10K for a hallowe'en costume. But I spied some great leather products, some great accessories. etc... And those, those I will buy. If I see a window with Wings+Horns and RRL jeans, I'm not going to be excited, even though I will buy those. Barney's windows used to be amazing. Now, they are hohum, neither here nor there.

Obviously, the buying needs calibration. Buying for a big store is a huge PITA, and it's more than just "**** I think that I like", but the data-mining for a place like Barney's is also very rudimentary, from what I understand, and I would doubt that they have any sophisticated forecast models (certainly, if they do, their digital presence hides this strength well) so they either have to really invest in a good data science team, or go by some financials, and gut.

Last edited:

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score

I will. Simon Doonan is one of the smart people of fashion, and he has spoken about this in great detail - about how it is not designers, but buyers, that dou
You got cut off, but I am going to go ahead and assume that the balance of your reply was going to be entirely civil and not at all tongue-in-cheek, which is precisely the opposite of the catty snark I have come to expect from this forum where Faust is concerned. Shame on all of you for your basic human decency. Such behaviour has no place on the internets.

Last edited:

e0d9n0b5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
faust probably has a little dick bc of all the big swords

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
whatever faust thinks MUST be true

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You got cut off, but I am going to go ahead and assume that the balance of your reply was going to be entirely civil and not at all tongue-in-cheek, which is precisely the opposite of the catty snark I have come to expect from this forum where Faust is concerned. Shame on all of you for your basic human decency. Such behaviour has no place on the internets.

Re. Faust - I don't think that we agree on how forums ought to be run, and to me, he is dogmatic in the same way that some of the less circumspect MC posters are. The best posters, everywhere, like Rach, Jefferyd, and Parker (and there are lots of others - sorry if I left you out of a list of 2), realize that fashion is a commercial enterprise as well as having an artistic component, and that Barneys, and other large retailers, simply cannot sell purely to a singular customer, and can look beyond their personal tastes to see what might be greater underlying problems with the business (and I don't think that it's all in the buying or the marketing.) However, on the buying front, there are simply not enough goth ninjas or fashion heads or Kiton suit lovers to sustain a larger business.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i buy wherever has the piece i want in my size i could give a **** about a relationship with an SA. who gives a ****? I have actual friends don't need an SA calling me when they know they have the perfect thing for me i.e., they want my money. easier I guess when I don't jump bandwagons and only buy ro and nike.

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
:nodding:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads