• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why aren't all shirts/polos pre-shrunk?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why aren't all shirts/polos pre-shrunk? Do some manufacturers believe that people like the "guess and check" game of buying, drying, and seeing whether or not the item still fits? Is there a massive customer segment that prefers to break in shirts by not washing them for 8 months to get custom sweat stains?

Seriously, I know I am a genius and all, but surely all the manufacturers would have figured out this sucks for the consumer by now. A few have followed suit but many have not. Wake up, clothiers, it is the 21st century!

mfrege

Reaction score
I'm not sure. Maybe prewashing will take away the lustre of a new fabric or something like that and they want it to look as new as possible in store.

Anyways, having recently washed a Lacoste polo it shrunk a ton, and thank god because it fits better now than ever (I'm now an even bigger Lacoste fan). But even with shrinkage I can't see how a shirt post-wash would change the fit so much as to second guess sizing pre-wash.

MIKE_JE

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Why aren't all shirts/polos pre-shrunk? Do some manufacturers believe that people like the "guess and check" game of buying, drying, and seeing whether or not the item still fits? Is there a massive customer segment that prefers to break in shirts by not washing them for 8 months to get custom sweat stains?

Seriously, I know I am a genius and all, but surely all the manufacturers would have figured out this sucks for the consumer by now. A few have followed suit but many have not. Wake up, clothiers, it is the 21st century!

Most people that buy clothes with nice fabric don't dry them. Therefore, if you wash it on gentle cycle/cold, there will be little to no shrinkage. Seems perfectly logical to me.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MSSneaker
Most people that buy clothes with nice fabric don't dry them. Therefore, if you wash it on gentle cycle/cold, there will be little to no shrinkage. Seems perfectly logical to me.

Do I look like a housewife? I don't have time for cutesy drying techniques.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably to achieve consistency in sizing when selling them. I agree it's a pain, though.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your shirts are shrinking because you're buying cheap ****. And yes, that includes Lacoste.

Buy higher end shirts and they will shrink very little to none at all! I am not sure if this behavior of many expensive brands is due to pre-washing or not, but it is surprisingly common. I can tell you for a fact that most $100 Lad Musician and wjk tees do not shrink, even when placed in a hot drier.

Your other option buy cheap tees, use cold water in the washing machine, and then hang dry. Even cheap AA tees don't shrink much if you wash them in this manner. But if you use a clothes drier on them they can easily shrink one whole size.

MIKE_JE

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Do I look like a housewife? I don't have time for cutesy drying techniques.

Uhh...you just hang it on a drying rack or hanger. I could train a monkey to do it easier than I could to use a dryer.

MIKE_JE

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
Your shirts are shrinking because you're buying cheap ****. And yes, that includes Lacoste.

Buy higher end shirts and they will shrink very little to none at all! I am not sure if this behavior of many expensive brands is due to pre-washing or not, but it is surprisingly common. I can tell you for a fact that most $100 Lad Musician and wjk tees do not shrink, even when placed in a hot drier.

Your other option buy cheap tees, use cold water in the washing machine, and then hang dry. Even cheap AA tees don't shrink much if you wash them in this manner. But if you use a clothes drier on them they can easily shrink one whole size.

It doesn't have to do with how much you pay for them, it is simply what they are composed of. 100% cotton will shrink no matter how much you paid.

*#..

Reaction score
Why aren't all shirts/polos pre-shrunk? Do some manufacturers believe that people like the "guess and check" game of buying, drying, and seeing whether or not the item still fits? Is there a massive customer segment that prefers to break in shirts by not washing them for 8 months to get custom sweat stains? Seriously, I know I am a genius and all, but surely all the manufacturers would have figured out this sucks for the consumer by now. A few have followed suit but many have not. Wake up, clothiers, it is the 21st century!
I agree, although it depends on the brand. The Lands End Canvas polos I have don't shrink at all, even after hot drying them, whereas I size up on all AA stuff. Their clothes shrink like crazy after drying them. My Gitman oxford shirts don't shrink at all, even after drying. My epaulet shirts do a tiny bit, and one of mine shrink a lot more after accidental drying. I don't dry my nice clothes, but it would be nice to have that piece of mind.
Originally Posted by BB1
Your shirts are shrinking because you're buying cheap ****.
I've proven this to be false.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mfrege
I'm not sure. Maybe prewashing will take away the lustre of a new fabric or something like that and they want it to look as new as possible in store.

Anyways, having recently washed a Lacoste polo it shrunk a ton, and thank god because it fits better now than ever (I'm now an even bigger Lacoste fan). But even with shrinkage I can't see how a shirt post-wash would change the fit so much as to second guess sizing pre-wash.

Since clothing mostly shrinks in length; it's my believe short people say things like this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads