Why are you so dressed up?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Bradford, Oct 13, 2010.

1. NCJack

NCJack Member

When it (finally) gets cool, I prefer to wear odd jackets, OCBDs, various slacks, and good leather shoes. Comfort level is nearly equal to pajamas, most of it is thrifted or bought on super sale.

My crew of acquaintances ranges from early 20somethings to older-than-me retired f*rts, and I get the comments or the "funny look" quite regularly. Seems that if you don't "havetodressupforwork...siggghhh", then you're supposed to wear sweats/cargos, overpriced sneakers, and a tee. As usual, I guess I was on the john when THE WORD was passed

2. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

Comfort level is nearly equal to pajamas,

Then your clothes ain't fitting you right.
    Try going to a tailor.

3. Made in California

Made in California Senior member

A girl at a lounge winked at me and said "love the suit". And I winked back and said, "It's a sport coat and trousers." I went home alone that night.
    This about summarizes the world of StyleForum in a single interaction.
    This seems to be happening more and more and I still don't quite know how I feel about it. My co-workers ask me clothing advice and one of my female co-workers even asks me my opinion when her online shoe purchases arrive. Now I got my best friend who used to be a pretty big slob asking me where he can get a man bag. Part of me likes that people notice, but I don't particularly like the thought of being known as that guy. I never meant for this to turn into some sort of real life non-queer queer eye for the straight guy/gal.
    Oh man, are you kidding? I *love* when this happens. All I want to do is talk about clothes, dress and personal style but I have to hold back because I know people don't want to hear me yap all day. So when someone approaches me and says, "Hey man, what tie should I get?" it's like an intelligent girl just asked for tips on how to blow me better. I am always more than happy to provide feedback.

4. Svenn

Svenn Senior member

Part of me likes that people notice, but I don't particularly like the thought of being known as that guy.

I agree, you want it to look effortless like you didn't even try, but if people know you're into style and start asking questions/making comments, it ruins the subtlety that dressing well is supposed to have.

You can imagine my frustration then when I basically had an entire swath of my social circle become aware of my interest in suits when some idiot friend wrote it on a program near my name, at an event I was participating in, as 'a joke'. Now I fear I'm seen as the dandy no matter where I go because of that [​IMG]

5. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

I usually get, "Are you going to an interview?". To which I say "Yes. You're always getting interviewed by everyone you meet." Never know who you'll run into.

Last Saturday a male clerk in Banana Republic told me how nice I looked and asked "What are you all dressed up for today?" I thanked him and answered, "For presenting myself in public."

Do you guys really say shit like this to people?

[​IMG]

6. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

[​IMG]

"Unhand me, ruffian!"

- B

7. Lane

Lane Senior member

A girl at a lounge winked at me and said "love the suit".

And I winked back and said, "It's a sport coat and trousers."

I went home alone that night.

yooooooooooooooooo, good shit

8. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

My fave is, "why are you wearing a suit?", when I'm wearing an odd coat and trousers. [​IMG]

Even if I was ever tempted to correct them I just say thanks. I'm not Alan Flusser.

On a slightly related note, I work for the Canadian federal government in management so I like to dress up. But everything you know about the dress habits of government employees -- American or Canadian -- is true. So one day I'm walking by a group of people and one of the ladies laughs and says, "Gorgekko, I always know when you're walking by because your shoes make noise."

At first I didn't understand but then I realized, she knows no one who wears shoes that aren't always rubber bottomed -- dress or casual.

9. yjeezle

yjeezle Senior member

i get this alot in college. lesser so now that my friends are working professionals and have realized that jeans aren't always uncomfortable.

i don't like it when girls ask me for advice on their clothes. sorry ladies. i don't know what looks good... except maybe you naked... granted your'e hot >_>

10. BlueHorseShoe

BlueHorseShoe Senior member

i get this alot in college. lesser so now that my friends are working professionals and have realized that jeans aren't always uncomfortable.

i don't like it when girls ask me for advice on their clothes. sorry ladies. i don't know what looks good... except maybe you naked... granted your'e hot >_>

Yeah? You get to see the ladies, naked? [​IMG]

11. Chillax

Chillax Well-Known Member

I hear it all the time - though someone asked me if I "was from Milan?" the other day...

My standard response: Shrug, roll of eyes upward, and a deep sigh followed by the words "Probation hearing."

Seems to do the trick.

I think responses along this line are a great idea-most people will be intimidated and leave you alone, while many attractive women will be intrigued

12. Saltricks

Saltricks Senior member

[​IMG]

If I'm sober, yes. If I'm drunk it probably sounds something more like:

hurr HRUR HRRUUUR FUCK YOU YOU FFHRUUR HRRUr

13. intent

intent Senior member

My personal favourite:

"Your girlfriend likes it".

14. BlueHorseShoe

BlueHorseShoe Senior member

My personal favourite:

"Your girlfriend likes it".

Really?

15. P-K-L

P-K-L Senior member

Almost never encountered such situations - probably something very North American? [​IMG]