• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why are you interested in clothes/style?

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always been drawn to cool looking clothes, it might stem from being dragged to the mall constantly to go shopping with my mom when I was a kid, but now I admit I am interested in clothes because of the noticeably more positive responses from women. I mean it's like night and day. I also like how much better I feel when I'm dressed well.

What about you? Have any of you experienced the same thing? Do you get complimented more often by the opposite sex?

minya

Reaction score
Haha. I don't think I've ever received compliments from a girl. Had quite a few same-sex attempts, though. (I'm just waiting for blackplatano to PM me telling me how cute I am)

Goblin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lance konami
I've always been drawn to cool looking clothes, it might stem from being dragged to the mall constantly to go shopping with my mom when I was a kid, but now I admit I am interested in clothes because of the noticeably more positive responses from women. I mean it's like night and day. I also like how much better I feel when I'm dressed well.

What about you? Have any of you experienced the same thing? Do you get complimented more often by the opposite sex?

I'm not really sure.

I think part of it is because I grew up in an extremely poor, hand-me-down environment. I had no one to show me how to dress well, especially for business purposes (still learning that one), and I got a lot of crappy clothes and hand-me-downs, so I had to learn how to dress under those constraints. I still get a kick out of dressing on a budget, albeit a less restricted one than I had growing up, and with the advantage of the Internet.

I was also always a weird kid and drifted into "outcast" subcultures, and have retained elements of those styles. Hence, as an adult/perpetual adolescent, I still gravitate to punk/rocker/post-skater style, along with the military and workwear influences that go along with those looks. I can finally dress the way I always wanted to dress but either didn't have the money for or didn't know how - and dressing like other 35-year old lawyers has *nothing* to do with what I want out of life.

I do get a lot of compliments about my casual wardrobe from girls - not just "ladies," but girls. I'll have been married for 11 years in October, but obviously I still dig on that ****, especially since the average "well-dressed man" undoubtedly thinks I look like a guttersnipe.

That said, I take girls' opinions with a grain of salt, because when it comes to men's clothing, they're pretty much full of **** ... they think I look cool, but any time I go shopping with my wife or any other girl, they try to ****** me up something fierce (not that there's anything wrong with that.) They understand that I'm awesome but they don't understand why.
bigstar[1].gif

I still have a lot to learn about style, especially business style, about which I'm still fairly clueless. I have a handle on my casual style but I'm still refining it.

I think my current interest in clothing comes from having significant discretionary income for the first time in my life and wanting, as always, to rock with all due hardness.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Babar

Reaction score
but now I admit I am interested in clothes because of the noticeably more positive responses from women. I mean it's like night and day. I also like how much better I feel when I'm dressed well.

That about sums it up for me as well.
thumbs-up.gif

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Style is, for me, a personal expressive medium. I approach it in many ways as I approach writing, cinema, or (visual, 2d) art. It is a medium in which I can create, and that covers everything from outfits with unconventional aesthetics to cutting new stuff. Like all things, it influences me beyond the specific medium (eg approaching cultural design in a webcomic partially through fashion). I'm really not interested in following trends, and any attention from the same or opposite sexes is superfluous as far as I'm concerned.

I did have some interest in getting involved in designing professionally and possibly starting a label (eventually, obviously; I'm in no position to do so and won't be for the forseeable future), but after what happened to Jay, I don't know.

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Style is, for me, a personal expressive medium. I approach it in many ways as I approach writing, cinema, or (visual, 2d) art. It is a medium in which I can create, and that covers everything from outfits with unconventional aesthetics to cutting new stuff. Like all things, it influences me beyond the specific medium (eg approaching cultural design in a webcomic partially through fashion). I'm really not interested in following trends, and any attention from the same or opposite sexes is superfluous as far as I'm concerned.

Interesting. I'm a musician and an artist, and I do look at it as a personal expressive medium as well.

Spoony

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Goblin
I'm not really sure. I think part of it is because I grew up in an extremely poor, hand-me-down environment. I had no one to show me how to dress well, especially for business purposes (still learning that one), and I got a lot of crappy clothes and hand-me-downs, so I had to learn how to dress under those constraints. I still get a kick out of dressing on a budget, albeit a less restricted one than I had growing up, and with the advantage of the Internet.
This, and I'm very skinny, so finding clothes that fit my is a challenge, so therefore I have to know more about clothes and be very selective. And girls.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
For me, design and aesthetics evoke certain feelings. When I see things that appeal to me or look good, I feel good. It has nothing to do with self-esteem though however. I really enjoy seeing the sum of pieces coming together being greater than the pieces of the sum. I pay notice to colors, textures, design and if I like what I see it's a nice feeling and influences my day.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
having been heavily involved in subcultures since I was young teen that were all defined by a distinct clearcut style, old habits die hard.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Interesting. I'm a musician and an artist, and I do look at it as a personal expressive medium as well.
I feel I approach clothing like I do music: what I hear/wear can be an expression of how I feel or want to feel. Feeling a bit ****-you, I'm gonna dress dark and put on some QOTSA, D-Tones, or Thrice. Out to party, it'll be a bit more colorful with some Eagles of Death Metal or Strung Out. Rainy day, it'll be comfortable with Kings of Convenience, Sigur Ros, or Elliott Smith. But if I know I'm going to have a ****** day, I dress to the 9's and put on some Radiohead to balance it out. A bad song is like a bad shirt for me: worthless.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've just really been interested in clothes and all things clothes related - the clothes themselves (not necessarily stuff I would wear myself either), construction, design, marketing, the workings of the industry, sociology, etc. Always have been, since I was a kid. Don't really know why.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Art is my life and fashion is no different than any other medium in that I embrace clothing wholeheartedly.
smile.gif

StevenRocks

Reaction score
I've always been facinated with design. Combining this with being hard to fit for clothing has made me the clotheshorse and design freak that I am.

alien22

Reaction score
i lack confidence and dressing all pretty makes me feel good about myself.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads