1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Why are you a vegetarian?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by mm84321, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Lane

Lane Senior member

im trying to transition to a more vegan diet. Started eliminating cheese little by little. Chicken and some pork I might keep in my diet for now. However, vegetables and fish are entering in hardcore.

I noticed particularly that the reason why people are so unhealthy in the US is we have a built in kind of thinking of what we are suppose to eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I think I might start eliminating my dairy intake in the morning and stick with other stuff. I just eat oatmeal without milk right now.

I wanna radicalize my diet, but I don't know where to start? any takers that wanna help me out? I've been also trying to get 5% body fat but drunken night outs have been making me cheat [​IMG]

2. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

I eat mostly fat free vegan and raw food at home. Basically all the time. When I go out which is maybe 2-3 times a week I eat whatever I feel like (no junk food though).

Going to an excellent steak house here next weekend for a tomahawk cut wagyu beef on my wifes bd. She keeps it the same like me. We don't mind eating meat and actually like it from time to time but eating really healthy and good is our priority and that means vegan / raw food.

If anyone believes eating a lot of meat is healthy you guys have no idea and at best have read nutrition books from lifestyle docs instead of the real research papers from scientists.

[​IMG]

I present to you, the evidence of why fat is needed for brain function.

3. Wackadoodle

Wackadoodle Well-Known Member

Health reasons;I feel better not eating meat. I don't feel bloated or weighed down after I eat, which I always used to with meat, even with small portions, and I don't feel heavy hunger pangs when I do get hungry, which I did while I was still carnivorous.

4. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

I have been a Vegetarian for over 35 years. I don't hold with the idea that animals are there to serve the dietary the needs of humans by killing them, you can live perfectly well and healthy by not eating dead flesh. That said I do wear leather shoes and find no contradiction in it.

I became a Vegetarian because I believe that it was the correct ethical and spiritual(Buddhist) approach to life. Its my view and I foist it on others, my wife and my son both eat meat, but that is their choice and I don't push it. However if some idiot asks me why at BBQ I will usually tell them that I don't get off on idea of dead flesh decomposing in my body and then being shat out. And if that doesn't work I tell them Hitler was a Vegetarian, go figure.

However that said there a myriad of environmental, health and ethical reasons why people should embrace Vegetarianism. Never mind the depletion of the planets fish stocks and the wastage due to factory ships and long line fishing.

And the style of food is great I eat a lot of Thai, Italian, but predominately Indian foods. I was recently given a great cookbook called Plenty full of modern ideas on with a strong middle eastern bent.

And having had vegetable garden this past summer, or what passed for it here in O, for the first time in five years I have had fresh produce at my fingertips, cant beat Zucchini flowers stuffed with goats curd and gorgonzola and then pan fried.

But its not for everyone at its heart its an individual decision linked to how you see the world and your place in it.

5. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

I eat meat because I respect the life of the animal that was slaughtered by not throwing it away and enjoy every morsel of his muscle fiber and organs. I also show my respect by preparing or having it prepared so that it comes out as delicious as possible, depending on situations that cannot be avoided of course.

And there is absolutely nothing on a vegetarian's diet that could replicate the taste of the crispy skin of pork belly, the sensation of chewing on a medium rare and well-rested bit of rib eye, the aroma of a thick and well seasoned lamb chop seared and placed in an oven, the hint of sweetness of a fresh lobster or prawn, or the briney taste of oysters as you side them down.

6. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

And there is absolutely nothing on a vegetarian's diet that could replicate the taste of the crispy skin of pork belly, the sensation of chewing on a medium rare and well-rested bit of rib eye, the aroma of a thick and well seasoned lamb chop seared and placed in an oven, the hint of sweetness of a fresh lobster or prawn, or the briney taste of oysters as you side them down.

Pussy. Fresh on the bone, tastes great and is healthy for you[​IMG]

7. Nosu3

Nosu3 Senior member

I stopped using beef many years ago because of health reasons and difficult digestion. I don't eat pigs or other mammals for ethical reasons. Recently I have been using eggs instead of chicken (no reason), so it wouldn't be a big deal for me to become vegetarian. Due to overactive taste buds, I do not like the taste of vegetables.

8. *#..

*#.. Senior member

I stopped using beef many years ago because of health reasons and difficult digestion. I don't eat pigs or other mammals for ethical reasons. Recently I have been using eggs instead of chicken (no reason), so it wouldn't be a big deal for me to become vegetarian. Due to overactive taste buds, I do not like the taste of vegetables.
    So you don't like the way vegetables taste, but you're still a vegetarian?

9. Nosu3

Nosu3 Senior member

So you don't like the way vegetables taste, but you're still a vegetarian?
    Yeah, it's a complicated scenario. The texture and taste of vegetables initiates the gag reflex. I try and make up for it with vegetable juices and plan on getting a juicer or something of the sort.

10. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

Vegetables taste better if you eliminate sugar from your diet; they can taste sweet.

11. Nosu3

Nosu3 Senior member

Vegetables taste better if you eliminate sugar from your diet; they can taste sweet.

Completely eliminate? All sugar intake I get is from fruit, aside from trace amounts in other foods.

12. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

Completely eliminate? All sugar intake I get is from fruit, aside from trace amounts in other foods.
    Fruit is fine, but, anecdotally, I've experienced a heightened sweetness in vegetables when eating absolutely no sugar at all for over a month at a time. I distinctly remember, after finishing an extended fast, that the taste of a head of broccoli was almost candy-like it was so sweet. It would seem your taste buds are extremely sensitized after not eating for a while--not that I'm recommending anyone try it.

13. phildo

phildo Senior member

I'm trying to eat more vegetarian meals, anyone got any good websites with recipes or cookbooks to recommend? I like pretty much every type of food.

14. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

For obvious reasons I hope when you eat animals you are causing them harm on only are you causing the animals harm which ginst the precept of ahinsa but you're causing harent and Ultimately you're causing harm to yourself and other human beings under a false impression that you're gaining something for yourself but the age-old wisdom is that nothing of benefit can ever come to you by causing harm to someone else, It just doesn't work that way, Whatever we do will eventually but inevitably come back to us, You don't even have to believe in karma.

Did you just have a stroke?

15. ice

ice Member

What disgusts me is that most of vegetarians don't realise it's either kill or be killed. In this world you can't survive without killing. They probably think (or just pretend to) they didn't do any harm if they eat plants only. Well, It has been proven long time ago that plants are living beings. So, their theory is kind of bullshit.

Their counter-answer to this may be that plants do not have emotions. That has also been proven. Plants do have emotions. By eating plants you either kill plants or directly support the genocide of the same. So they either trully believe or just pretend to believe that they do no harm to plants by eating them. In both cases they are retarded.

Regarding the vegetarians that eat only plants because of their health at least makes a little bit of sense. Altho I believe that too is bullshit, because they restrain themselves from nutrients they can only get in meat, so that diet can not be any healthier that a all around well balanced diet.

Yes, I know how animals are treated in multi-million food industries. I am against animal torture. But killing animals for food is completely ok with me. I plan on to start hunting for my hobby, because I will feel better when I eat something that I killed on my own.

I repeat again, there is no way possible to survive without killing. Only way you could survive without killing is to wait below an apple tree for fruit to fall down, then be the first one who's gonna grab it.

Vegeterianism... BULLSHIT