Why are there no suits for very large drops?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mensimageconsultant, Apr 8, 2009.

1. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

Don't say lack of a market is the reason why ready-to-wear suits never seem to come with more than a 9" drop. Maybe years ago that was true, but with weightlifting and niche websites, there's a reachable market. (Even if you discount that many of those men have little use for suits.) Don't cite tailoring, because the maximum recommended 2" adjustment to the drop-9 suit's waist won't work for someone with a 12" drop and other alterations probably will be needed within the 11" range. Yes, there are separates, but not from many brands and fit issues can come into play. Is it much harder to manufacture a suit with a drop larger than 9"?

2. HEWSINATOR

HEWSINATOR Senior member

Well, if there is such an opportunity and a market that demands it, then I suppose you are the man to go take advantage.

If there are none available, I would say that it is most likely because of demand and business decisions, not persecution of the meatheads.

3. mensimageconsultant

Scale might be a reason. Ralph Lauren, for example, isn't going to mass-produce suits for a rather small market.

4. sonlegoman

sonlegoman Senior member

If there are none available, I would say that it is most likely because of demand and business decisions, not persecution of the meatheads.
    Do meatheads wear suits?

5. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Don't say lack of a market is the reason why ready-to-wear suits never seem to come with more than a 9" drop. Maybe years ago that was true, but with weightlifting and niche websites, there's a reachable market. ?

It IS lack of market... and it's even MORESO now as America is FATTER than it has ever been.

6. mensimageconsultant

There is more diversity of body types than there used to be. Go to a college campus, and you will many men who soon will need to wear suits who are very v-shaped. Very large drops probably aren't as common outside the USA.

7. ohm

ohm Senior member

It IS lack of market... and it's even MORESO now as America is FATTER than it has ever been.

[​IMG]

8. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

There is more diversity of body types than there used to be. Go to a college campus, and you will many men who soon will need to wear suits who are very v-shaped. Very large drops probably aren't as common outside the USA.

I'm currently researching entering into a clothing business. Trust me- there are FAR more people pear shaped per capita than there were 20-30 years ago. Get oustide of the microcosm of a campus and you'll see it.

The businesses I've been talking with have seen the sales of suits for the fat go up and up while they can barely move more athletic cuts.

9. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

I'm currently researching entering into a clothing business. Trust me- there are FAR more people pear shaped per capita than there were 20-30 years ago. Get oustide of the microcosm of a campus and you'll see it.

The businesses I've been talking with have seen the sales of suits for the fat go up and up while they can barely move more athletic cuts.

How is fat still in? Overplayed, imo.

10. mensimageconsultant

Maybe that's because people who need athletic-cut suits are young (think lack of money) or have lifestyles that seldom call for suiting up. That overweight people are increasingly common in virtually every demographic is mostly irrelevant. Also, extreme drops seem less common than they are, because in cold weather, in the office, etc., that kind of build is likely hidden beneath unflattering clothing.

11. beansprouts1

beansprouts1 Senior member

I think the populations your describing are usually covered by suit separates. Admittedly few "high end" makers do suit separates, but the majority of populations you described (college students, dedicated body builders) probably aren't out to spend 2000 on an outfit.

I think the ubiquitous theory and calvin klein separates cover this niche rather nicely.

12. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

What about suits for dwarves?

13. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

What about suits for dwarves?
    Or three legged men.

14. Fuuma

Or three legged men.

Or conjoined twins. Thank god for Thom Browne!!!

15. Fuuma

I have a business idea for a website that matches men with very large drops with pear shaped men from the same locality so they can go shopping together and simply switch jackets when buying two times the same suit in their right pants size. I'll call it www.bigtops2bigbottoms.com