• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why are there always more people viewing

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hossoso
The board was started by j. I would not group him in with what people think of as MC-style dress by any means.
Well the technical side of the forum was started by me, yes. But most of the first people to come over and help start it up with discussion were what you'd consider MC style guys. Steve B. in particular, who was the first supermod/co-admin, wrote a book about "Men's Clothing" style clothing and shopping for it. Manton was also one of the first regulars, along with a disproportionate amount of lawyers/business types. And despite how I dress for shuffleboard or getting hammed with Socal, I can rock a boring suit with the best of em.

killua

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
Noobs always have to ask what they can wear for a job interview, hence MC's popularity.

Hey guys, I'm going to this birthday party on the weekend and they dress code says casual. I haven't been to a birthday party in years and as a result, my only pair of jeans doesn't fit any more...

Yeah doesn't work too well. I can't imagine anyone not having casual wear to get by on and needing urgent assistance from the Internet.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MC is way easier to learn. SW & D type looks take ages, years sometimes, to get down.

In terms of noob friendliness -> AAAC - MC - SwD - SuFu

MC is just as much about design as SW and Denim, napples is in vogue. Soft shoulder, handwork etc etc.

Good to learn though. Would be good to see more work between the two.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never browse by subforum; I just hit "new posts" and look at any of the threads that seem interesting, whether MC or SW&D. I enjoy the WAYW threads on both sides.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razele
MC is way easier to learn.
There is a ton of subtlety to stuff over on the MC side. It's easy to get the basics down for either (how hard is it to start with slim raw denim, a fitted shirt, and CPs or CTs?)

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's significantly easier, because thier is literature. MC has remained fairly stable since the 30's, and isn't likely to change much soon.

SW and D just takes way longer to get down, your really relying on experience and e friends to get the fits down.

Yes, thier is subtlty involved, but it's much easier to find a good shirtmaker, suit maker and shoe maker and settle in then to get a wardrobe going in SW and D. Even finding stuff in SW can be rediculously hard, at full RRP.

Then again I think the best way to do MC is to buy the best and not much of it, making a few comissions for new suits every year and a few pairs of shoes, ten shirts or so. People who do that do way better then people who **** fight over thrifted napples odd coats.

People who do that tend to be pretty seasoned though.

warlok1965

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MC is at it's best when SW&D posters go there and show them what's up.

TheDroog

Reaction score
One obvious reason that MC readership > SW&D readership is because more people think they need help with their formal/work clothing. For stuff you wear to bars or college classes, most guys put on jeans and a t-shirt. Done. You don't need the internet for that.

But a lot of men don't know the first thing about good suits or shoes or Windsor knots, and so they google it, and hence stumble upon MC.

SW&D naturally deals with a smaller subset of people who care enormously about their casual clothes.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For purely anecdotal input...

I first started lurking MC because I wanted to learn how to wear a suit and other traditional men's clothing. (I had a wedding in August). After reading some of the other subforums, I realized there was a bit more brewing under the surface, so I stuck around. MC was my favorite for a long time. Everyone seemed much friendlier and it was easier to learn the "rules." Traditional menswear is mostly rules, slight variations, and the occasional bend to a rule. After I got the basics down, it got pretty repetitive.

That's where SW&D came in. It was much easier to implement these looks into my daily life, since I was a grad student and had little need to wear formal menswear. The atmosphere is a little less inviting, but it's worth listening to new information and occasional debates. In a way, it kind of mimics the way style flows IRL. If you don't know, then you're not cool enough to know. There are no rules, just subtle guidelines on how to break the rules. If you're not intuitive enough to pick up on how this is done, no one can tell you. Hence the noob hatred.

This may be the case, or it might not, but this is how I perceive the situation. MC has more readers because there are more guys who need to learn about menswear for work or special occasions. Guys who truly care about clothing or style stick around for SW&D or become regulars on MC.

Lostinthesupermarket

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
the fact that one is called "men's" clothing and that this is not probably leads to a lot of pre-conceived ideas about what one will find here, sometimes rightfully so. please refer to the 30 threads about 15 year olds wearing boat shoes.
QFT. The signal to noise ratio here is a fair bit lower than MC what with boat shoes, Beckham and Zac Efron. Still a lot of good information and debate though. It's also usually pretty friendly here, as long as Eason isn't feeling the need to keep his pimp-hand strong or the poster isn't a newb asking about...boat shoes, Beckham or Zac Efron.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I never do anything of importance so I only need to wear suits about thrice a year, so my style is "SW&D". As others said, MC is more strict rules and SW&D allows for more creativity, although I actually think we're tougher at critiquing.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razele
Would be good to see more work between the two.

the collective replies of both MC and SWD regulars on the Mr. Moo thread shows us the way.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lostinthesupermarket
QFT.

The signal to noise ratio here is a fair bit lower than MC what with boat shoes, Beckham and Zac Efron. Still a lot of good information and debate though.

Really fascinating question posed in MC today about whether to hang dress pants on a hanger or by a belt loop.

Fascinating, I tell you.

Lostinthesupermarket

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
Really fascinating question posed in MC today about whether to hang dress pants on a hanger or by a belt loop.

Fascinating, I tell you.

Point taken.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads