• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why are some people really into politics?

Mr. Clean

Reaction score
Maybe I should clarify. Among all the topics one could take an interest in that are not immediately connected to ones personal life (e.g. family, occupation, health) it seems to me that politics is the one with the greatest potential impact on one's life. I concede that this is arguable. Science would probably be another good candidate.

I often consider sports an example of a subject matter that many people take a high interest in, even though there are no real connections to their living conditions.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
People use politics as a surrogate for the cultural and religious values absent from their lives. It provides them with a sense of identity rooted in an "us vs. them" mentality, a sense of personal purpose, the "intellectual" appearance of discussing things that are abstract and consequential, and the narcissistic promise that- if they succeed- society will be fashioned in their own likeness.

I'm not even going to pretend that conservatives and liberals are equally at fault, since liberalism is inherently more "political" than conservatism. Liberalism is predicated on the idea that politics is the required instrument for correcting economic and social issues, as well as correcting human nature itself. The belief that society requies a consortium of eggheads constantly tending to its operation naturally draws the most intellectually preening elements out of the woodwork.

A political post, how meta!

francisl

Reaction score
I absolutely love politics, considerably more so than all my other 20-25 year old friends. I don't really know why I love it so much, but in between work I read 2 papers every day, plus follow political blogs, and websites. Follow politicians on twitter, and blog myself occasionally.

Part of it is I see the connection between how life is and politics: politics is everything. And also I fell in love with the West Wing, and from then I just couldn't help it.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by francisl
I absolutely love politics, considerably more so than all my other 20-25 year old friends. I don't really know why I love it so much, but in between work I read 2 papers every day, plus follow political blogs, and websites. Follow politicians on twitter, and blog myself occasionally.

Part of it is I see the connection between how life is and politics: politics is everything. And also I fell in love with the West Wing, and from then I just couldn't help it.

You need to get laid, son.

francisl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
You need to get laid, son.

Thanks for the concern but I'm quite alright
wink.gif
. My girlfriend likewise also loves politics, so no issue there.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All finance can do is devastate national economies, and occasionally, create little bumps in the global economy.

Since war is just politics at another level, politics makes it much easier to create mass devastation
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Not only do you get to collapse an economy, you get to steal the loser's stuff too!

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People use politics as a surrogate for the cultural and religious values absent from their lives. It provides them with a sense of identity rooted in an "us vs. them" mentality, a sense of personal purpose, the "intellectual" appearance of discussing things that are abstract and consequential, and the narcissistic promise that- if they succeed- society will be fashioned in their own likeness.

I'm not even going to pretend that conservatives and liberals are equally at fault, since liberalism is inherently more "political" than conservatism. Liberalism is predicated on the idea that politics is the required instrument for correcting economic and social issues, as well as correcting human nature itself. The belief that society requies a consortium of eggheads constantly tending to its operation naturally draws the most intellectually preening elements out of the woodwork.

I like this a lot.

francisl

Reaction score

Whereas Conservatism believes less in politics as such. Conservatism gives individuals the power, and localised communities the power, rather than a centralised political body.

beachbummer

Reaction score
government matters, because poor leadership costs--One reason why I follow politics closely. Whether you choose to believe it or not, decisions made at every level of government, affect us as citizens in some form or another--even when you can't see it.

francisl

Reaction score
Re: my politics is everything comment.
As to reiterate what beachbummer said. Politics everything we do. Politics affects the amount of tax is taken from us. Politics affects the quality of services provided to us in day to day life. Politics affects personal freedom and liberties and the chance of social progression.

To not pay an interest just seems naive.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I find that if you put income onto a Bell Curve, those that are at either end tend to care the most about many political issues. The poor want to make sure as much transfer payments as possible happen, the wealthy and business owners want to stop as much taxation as possible and get some subsidies if they can.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ so your staunch anti-tax position belies your self-professed mid-timer status! Gotcha! :p

In response to the OP - Masochism

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedLantern
^ so your staunch anti-tax position belies your self-professed mid-timer status! Gotcha! :p

In response to the OP - Masochism

I am not anti-tax in the least. I enjoy civilization and this needs to be funded. On some levels, I am happy to pay taxes. The action is in who pays for what and how.

In support of my prior post, I think it was Plato that said the poor should not be allowed to vote as they will vote for whomever promises the biggest handouts. I think there's much truth in that statement. I think he also said the wealthy should not be allowed to vote either.

Monaco

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bkstone
The following type of people I noticed are interested in politics:
1. People who are easily riled up (This is why politicians throw mud at each other)
2. People who enjoy arguing (You see this all over online)
3. Doomsday, the sky is falling type (Remember weapons of mass destruction?
plain.gif
)
4. Authoritarian personality (Think of fundamentalist christians who want to force their beliefs by using the government)

5. There are some who truly believe in the system and want to make a change for the better of society and country. I don't know what percentage they make of people are really into politics.

5086.gif

You find the above in every party, and I believe 1-4 makes up the majority.

#5, there aren't many #5's in the political spectrum and tho who take interest in politics, that is why nothing ever gets done. Plus the reason why there are more 1-4's is because the politicians need em there to keep them in power. REP>DEM>REP>DEM infinite.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads