• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why are sneakers so ugly?

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a pair of running sneakers. God, are these things ugly. It seems as though anything functional is hideous, and anything nice isn't functional. I'm going to be running a lot in these sneakers, so obviously function comes first, but I'd like them to not be really ugly. Does anyone have any suggestions as far as running shoes go?

Thanks,

Dan

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try asics

truthhurts

Reaction score
I run in Saucony Hurricanes. Best running shoe I've used - highly reccommended.

benchan

Reaction score
I guess you would have to tell us your running mechanics in order for us to give you a recommendation. If you overpronate, shoes design to control this motion is usually more bulky and more hideous looking. In my view though, there are tons of good looking runners around, and they don't necessary are low tech.
306251271r.jpg
img1043804043.jpeg

whitsang

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of New Balance sneakers. They're comfortable for a casual day or for more intense activities. I also find if you visit a New Balance store, the customer service is great and they really find a shoe that best fits your needs.

truthhurts

Reaction score
Visiting a runners' store and getting a reccomendation is a good point.

spinlps

Reaction score
If it's the construction, then you're probably stuck with what you can find. If it's the color combos, then why not design your own at www.nikeid.com ?

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
If it's the construction, then you're probably stuck with what you can find. If it's the color combos, then why not design your own at www.nikeid.com ?
Very awesome. You just made my day. Now, to find out if the shoe I like is functional. Can anyone comment on the Zoom Rival D? I'm gonna look for reviews online now and if that works out, I'll try it on in the store. I'm planning on running a marathon, but not for some time now, so this will be for training mostly. Dan

spinlps

Reaction score
Wow... that might be my first post that was remotely useful for someone. Â
smile.gif
Check out each of the running models. I know that the Pegasus model let's you order different shoe sizes for each foot... not sure if other models have that option. In the past, they allowed you to even choose the sole pattern / design. It looks like that option is only offered on sprint models now though. Good luck.

truthhurts

Reaction score
Running a marathon is a great goal but your shoes are going to change 10 times between now and when you do it so don't stress too much about it.

seanandnik

Reaction score
I designed a pair at NikeID and they were the Air Miler i believe, they are extremely lightweight and super comfortable(i wear mine to the gym) they also look very cool, i went with all white and black. good luck

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads