Why are sneakers so ugly?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by amirrorcrackd, Jan 3, 2005.

1. amirrorcrackd

amirrorcrackd Senior member

I'm in the market for a pair of running sneakers. God, are these things ugly. It seems as though anything functional is hideous, and anything nice isn't functional. I'm going to be running a lot in these sneakers, so obviously function comes first, but I'd like them to not be really ugly. Does anyone have any suggestions as far as running shoes go?

Thanks,

Dan

2. ernest

ernest Senior member

Try asics

3. truthhurts

truthhurts Senior member

I run in Saucony Hurricanes. Best running shoe I've used - highly reccommended.

4. benchan

benchan Senior member

I guess you would have to tell us your running mechanics in order for us to give you a recommendation. If you overpronate, shoes design to control this motion is usually more bulky and more hideous looking. In my view though, there are tons of good looking runners around, and they don't necessary are low tech. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. whitsang

whitsang Member

I'm a big fan of New Balance sneakers. They're comfortable for a casual day or for more intense activities. I also find if you visit a New Balance store, the customer service is great and they really find a shoe that best fits your needs.

6. truthhurts

truthhurts Senior member

Visiting a runners' store and getting a reccomendation is a good point.

7. VMan

VMan Senior member

That pair of black New Balance sneakers looks great, even for just wearing with jeans. Especially if you're doing a lot of walking that day.

8. spinlps

spinlps Well-Known Member

If it's the construction, then you're probably stuck with what you can find. If it's the color combos, then why not design your own at www.nikeid.com ?

9. amirrorcrackd

amirrorcrackd Senior member

Very awesome. You just made my day. Now, to find out if the shoe I like is functional. Can anyone comment on the Zoom Rival D? I'm gonna look for reviews online now and if that works out, I'll try it on in the store. I'm planning on running a marathon, but not for some time now, so this will be for training mostly. Dan

10. spinlps

spinlps Well-Known Member

Wow... that might be my first post that was remotely useful for someone. Â [​IMG] Check out each of the running models. I know that the Pegasus model let's you order different shoe sizes for each foot... not sure if other models have that option. In the past, they allowed you to even choose the sole pattern / design. It looks like that option is only offered on sprint models now though. Good luck.

11. truthhurts

truthhurts Senior member

Running a marathon is a great goal but your shoes are going to change 10 times between now and when you do it so don't stress too much about it.

12. seanandnik

seanandnik Senior member

I designed a pair at NikeID and they were the Air Miler i believe, they are extremely lightweight and super comfortable(i wear mine to the gym) they also look very cool, i went with all white and black. good luck