1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Why are rugs so expensive?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Davidko19, Jan 31, 2010.

1. cimabue

cimabue Senior member

Great rugs can be had for a lot less money than OP mentions. As a matter if fact, seems like there's a flood of rugs on the market right now. As with any important purchase, however, do your homework, learn as much as you can. And by all means, don't be afraid to haggle with a dealer. The mark up on rugz is often ridiculous. My personal taste runs to larger geometric patterns and muted earth tones. I like the arts and crafts stuff, for example, English and American. Simple is less likely to fatigue the eye, etc. You are apt to want to hang on to your well chosen rug. It can be a kind of mystical process, like choosing artwork. Has to give you a tingle down there.

2. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

3. fredfred

fredfred Senior member

A non-pricey rug I just rcvd... pm for details if you need them

[​IMG]

4. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

5. Girardian

Girardian Senior member

Spend some time learning ... on your own ... not just asking to be told why. There's a lot of hype/salesmanship/chicanery in the rug business but, at the end of the day, a well made rug is a utilitarian work of art -- to be lived with and enjoyed.

If you ever have a chance to see rug production, you'll understand immediately where the costs comes from.

If you ever have a chance to live with a good rug for years, you'll understand over time where the value comes from.

6. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

Any good pics of rugs on walls?

7. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

Could someone post a picture of a 17k rug and what material are they made of.

If it is something like the pic above in silk they are available in India for around 2000-6000 USd depending on size.

8. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

The price of a quality hand made rug depends on many factors....

Of the few I'm aware of, one, obviously, is size. The second is how tight the knots are, flip the rug over and look at the back, how tight is the stitching? Another one is he design. If you have a rug that is a floral type pattern that is identical from one corner to the other, then the person making the rug only needed to actually design 1/4 of the rug and then just flip it and duplicate. If you have a rug with animals and birds then they needed to design an entire rug since each part o the rug is unique.

I have an old persian rug in my living room, c. 1950. I'll snap a pic for you. It's the basic floral type I mentioned above, but still valuable.

9. ruben

ruben Senior member

Can anyone point me towards a primer on good rugs? or tips on where to buy used?

I'm sorta embarrassed by my lack of knowledge on the subject.

10. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

I've got a number of authentic persians scattered throughout my house. Even a few on the walls. Tehy're pretty small ones, one has gold threads and i think both are silk, so tehy're more decorative. The rest are all hand made with a few mistakes for authenticity and dyed in batches since the colors have faded all differently. if anyone really cares I can take pics.

11. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

[​IMG]

- B

I doubt you could even fit one pair of G&Gs on there for a shoe damage picture. Fail.

12. yoink

yoink Well-Known Member

13. fredfred

fredfred Senior member

Can anyone point me towards a primer on good rugs? or tips on where to buy used?

I'm sorta embarrassed by my lack of knowledge on the subject.

(use search function)

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=17073

14. cimabue

cimabue Senior member

[​IMG]

- B

Bwahahaha!

(But he does look gorgeous here.)

15. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

They are something pretty that rich people can spend money on.

Realize that when you you have more money than what you know what to do with, you need something to spend it on. Smart businesspeople create markets for these rich folks. Rugs are one of these markets.

16. Jorgbeinhoff

Jorgbeinhoff New Member

Not all rugs are expensive. Area rugs are inexpensive which allows you to have the styles, designs, patterns, and colors of the more expensive rugs without having to pay the price. Remember, inexpensive area rugs are a great solution to give your rooms a new look. Cheap rugs are another way of saving the money. These rugs are also available at low rates. These rugs need to be simpler and match the room's overall look.[​IMG]