1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Why are overcoats such a neglected piece apparel.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by FreeRadical, Jul 19, 2010.

1. FreeRadical

FreeRadical New Member

Mostly all overcoats/trench coats tend to be loose and boxy looking. Worse still is when they are casually chucked over a £2000 suit destroying all the immaculate tailoring. I think we are all missing a trick, because a carefully chosen overcoat can complement the suit, even enhance the overall look.

So I'm on a mission to find a well fitted overcoat, with a structured shoulder such as the one below. if anyone's come across such a coat please do tell.
    [​IMG]

2. RSS

RSS Senior member

Mostly all overcoats/trench coats tend to be loose and boxy looking. Worse still is when they are casually chucked over a £2000 suit destroying all the immaculate tailoring. I think we are all missing a trick, because a carefully chosen overcoat can complement the suit, even enhance the overall look.

So I'm on a mission to find a well fitted overcoat, with a structured shoulder such as the one below. if anyone's come across such a coat please do tell.

Richard Anderson makes a nice one ... even their off-the-rack verson. However do NOT request hacking pockets!

3. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

That pic looks terrible.

4. Michael Ay329

Michael Ay329 Senior member

The pic is more of a topcoat...not an overcoat...and it stylistically, looks very modern...not something classic

Many folks, when the weather turns cold, do their best to dodge the cold be minimizing the time they spend outdoors.

Thus they run to their cars or to mass transit...thus little need for a true heavyweight overcoat.

Besides, many folks just wear a heavy car coat as a paltry alternative.

5. SuitMyself

SuitMyself Senior member

6. turnbull_asser

turnbull_asser Member

Richard Anderson makes a nice one ... even their off-the-rack verson. However do NOT request hacking pockets!

So does RA's former employer, Huntsman.

7. ALFAMALE

ALFAMALE Senior member

Any overcoat from Ermenegildo Zegna will certainly compliment a fine suit.

8. sellahi22

sellahi22 Senior member

overcoats are frustratingly neglected, as are raincoats. if you want a competent suit or shirt, you have countless options at every price point and style. but if you want a reasonable overcoat/raincoat, you are SOL.

from what i understand, you either throw down for a bespoke overcoat or a $1.5k burberry raincoat, or you are stuck with a POS from banana republic. There are a couple of in between options like Brooks Brothers, but if one of those doesn't fit you are stuck with second hand shit.

seems kinda crazy if you live in a place like NYC where half of the days in the year are cold or rainy.

9. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

True overcoats are supposed to be big and bulky.

In worst case you'll be wearing a jacket under the coat. A sweater under the jacket. A scarf. If you don't need all that you likely don't need an overcoat.

Plenty of fitted coats out there. Just look.

10. amplifiedheat

amplifiedheat Senior member

11. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Crombies are nice...

Classic,elegant and affordable..

12. IronRock

IronRock Senior member

13. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

A few offerings from Mr Alden at the London Lounge (www.thelondonlounge.net/forum) and others:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bit hot to consider at the moment.

I love the brown one on the left...

Is it bespoke or OTR?

14. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

So I'm on a mission to find a well fitted overcoat, with a structured shoulder such as the one below.

That picture...[​IMG]

15. gregor

gregor Senior member

Pocket square in an over coat..? Do people do this in the winter?

Gregor

16. Wicky

Wicky Senior member

I love the brown one on the left...

Is it bespoke or OTR?

Looks like Cesare Attolini and I happen to have one (in brown and navy). Might sell the brown.

17. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I am getting a bespoke overcoat. First one ever for me. Had one fitting, will be having another in a couple of months.

18. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

I am getting a bespoke overcoat. First one ever for me. Had one fitting, will be having another in a couple of months.

Fabric? Tailor? C'mon man, we need details!

19. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Why are we talking about overcoats in the middle of July?

20. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

Weather broke yesterday. Didn't even get into the mid 30s today.