Why are laptops so bling these days?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by GQgeek, Feb 14, 2009.

1. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Vaio's are pretty sleek. How do you find working at that resolution on such a small screen?I wish I could see what it is like in person, but at futureshop, nothing had more than 1280x800 or something ridiculously small...

2. otc

otc Senior member

I think that in most cases, SSDs are a waste of money.
    Modern laptop drives are very durable and respond well to being dropped and jolted...you are likely to break something else first (like the LCD) before the HDD goes.

For the price of an SSD upgrade you coul get a larger HDD *and* a backup or two to replace the drive if it should somehow fail.

3. AnGeLiCbOrIs

AnGeLiCbOrIs Affiliate Vendor

Vaio's are pretty sleek. How do you find working at that resolution on such a small screen?I wish I could see what it is like in person, but at futureshop, nothing had more than 1280x800 or something ridiculously small...

I find it great but I've heard of people with poor vision who find the text too small.

4. B1FF

B1FF Senior member

My Intel SSD RAID laughs at you.

5. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

I'm still shocked at how after all these years, Macs are still the only laptops that don't look cheap. My thinkpad is pretty sturdy, but it pales in comparison to my powerbook.

And, as someone already said, people have no taste, and stuff needs to sell. However, the designers should still know better, because ultimately people will buy whatever is available regardless.

6. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Modern laptop drives are very durable and respond well to being dropped and jolted...you are likely to break something else first (like the LCD) before the HDD goes.

For the price of an SSD upgrade you coul get a larger HDD *and* a backup or two to replace the drive if it should somehow fail.

SSDs aren't really about durability. They offer much better performance, longer battery life, and produce way less heat.

7. v0rtex

v0rtex Senior member

They're bling these days because a company decided that computers should no longer be appliances you use to only accomplish tasks, but they should also be your best friend and a fashion accessory

Interesting point.

The lifecycle of products starts out with prototypes and early adopters - home built and rigged together with tape (Altair, Apple II, steam powered cars). After that, the industry matures and the products are plain but functional (IBM XT, Classic Mac, Ford Model T). Finally, the product becomes optimized and commoditized to the extent that the only changes that can be made are cosmetic and fashion-oriented (Intel-based Macs, "your personal" colored Dell, Hummers built on Chevy SUV chassis'). Finally, the product falls into self parody and obsolescence.

It's interesting that these lifecycles seem to be speeding up and computing devices have entered the fashion stage after only 20-25 years, but it explains why computers are all blingy these days.

I'm still shocked at how after all these years, Macs are still the only laptops that don't look cheap.

If I spent twice as much on something I'd expect it to look expensive too. Also, they're the only laptop brand that isn't producing commodity products. A luxury PC is like McDonalds offering five star table service - it's the same generic product in a fancy wrapper and thus fails in the marketplace.

8. Teger

Teger Senior member

I don't understand 15"+ laptops with huge resolutions... they become so heavy it almsot defeats the purpose. That said, I like the aesthetic design of the new Macbook I just got.

9. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

if any of you think the only reason for a mac is design, you're kidding yourselves. join the 21st century, will you?

10. hamish5178

hamish5178 Senior member

if any of you think the only reason for a mac is design, you're kidding yourselves. join the 21st century, will you?

I'm pretty sure no one said anything like that in this thread. . .

11. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

i just don;t understand why anyone would have a pc for personal use.

12. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

That's because you're a simpleton mac user.

13. Roikins

Roikins Senior member

Heh, or the 20th century if you're a computer company that just decided to start using CISC instead of RISC. [​IMG]

14. KenN

KenN Senior member

So they can:
    - Play computer games
    - Try different operating systems
    - Upgrade their hardware ...

15. A Y

A Y Senior member

Heh, or the 20th century if you're a computer company that just decided to start using CISC instead of RISC. [​IMG]

Except for the fact that RISC vs. CISC is a false dichotomy.

--Andre