• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Why Are Fitness Classes Mostly Women?

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They see it as a social experience. Women also need more attention, praise, and encouragement from others to get anything done.

How many women do you know who invest in a home gym? How many men?

Texasmade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Men usually go lift weights while women do the fitness class thing.

Maegnus

Reaction score
I agree that women seem to like/need the support/motivation you get from going in small groups. Most of my guy friends and I prefer to workout from home when possible.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Personally, I hate group activities. I do like to see others at the gym, but also enjoy it when I'm the only one around.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because then you can say how you benched 335 even though you didn't get it off the rack and how you can squat 500+ even though you never even came close to going below parallel.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:slayer: I guess I'm more like a woman in that I like working out with other people because I get very competitive (if I see someone else doing something then I can do it, I push myself much more in a group, etc...).

I also think I get much better results from fitness classes than from just lifting weights but then again, maybe I'm looking for different results than others.

Star

Reaction score
I did an 8 week weekly Pilates class at work. I was the only male in the class. The women enjoyed it and it appeared the instructor was giving me most of the attention. Poor girls were being restrained by political correctness :)

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love yoga class usually since it is a bunch of fit women in tight spandex and me.

But then usually some hairy fat dude in super tight spandex that lets you know whether he is circumcised or not can come and ruin it.

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Men usually go lift weights while women do the fitness class thing.

Most fitness classes are targeted at women, because they tend to go to fitness classes. Self fulfilling cycle. Also women tend to like cardio (Teger here has part of it right as there is bro/hoscience about this, if a girl lifts she's gonna look like a BB'er when thats absolute crap), which is easier to do as a group.

Personally, I hate group activities. I do like to see others at the gym, but also enjoy it when I'm the only one around.

Because then you can say how you benched 335 even though you didn't get it off the rack and how you can squat 500+ even though you never even came close to going below parallel.

:laugh:

:slayer: I guess I'm more like a woman in that I like working out with other people because I get very competitive (if I see someone else doing something then I can do it, I push myself much more in a group, etc...).
I also think I get much better results from fitness classes than from just lifting weights but then again, maybe I'm looking for different results than others.

Same. But sometimes just working by myself is best.

Last edited:

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because men can look in the mirror at their 48", 250 lb gut and say, "Yeah baby!"

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I love yoga class usually since it is a bunch of fit women in tight spandex and me.
But then usually some hairy fat dude in super tight spandex that lets you know whether he is circumcised or not can come and ruin it.

I joined a yoga class once, and was one of 2 or 3 men and a dozen or so ladies. I quit after the 3rd or 4th session because group activities are not my thing and because it was too awkward given the poses and routines we did.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I joined a yoga class once, and was one of 2 or 3 men and a dozen or so ladies. I quit after the 3rd or 4th session because group activities are not my thing and because it was too awkward given the poses and routines we did.

I took some yoga classes. It wore me out a lot more than I thought it would. It's too painful to enjoy much the scenery.

our society exerts much more pressure on women to remain fit than men.

No, just human nature. We have to earn more money.

Last edited:

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I took some yoga classes. It wore me out a lot more than I thought it would. It's too painful to enjoy much the scenery.
Unfortunately, not all the scenery was good. Somehow I often found myself behind women doing the downward dog and similar poses who were either fat or very old. Not a pleasant sight - more awkward than anything.

Last edited:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 56 17.6%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 108 34.0%
  • 8”

Votes: 93 29.2%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 35 11.0%
  • 9”

Votes: 13 4.1%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.2%