• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why are Dress Pants so DAMN expensive?

Bexcellence

Reaction score
I've got an internship coming up and the attire will be business casual. I've got my dress shirts, but I'm struggling to find good, slim dress pants that are cheaper than $150. Should I just suck it up and pay the price?

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
plenty of okay dress pants under $150, I don't know what you're talking about.

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers gabardine, buy 2 and get the discount.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems like your "business casual" is actually rather formal, i.e. dress shirts and dress pants.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds odd - are you looking at enough shops?

bigtimebuck4

Reaction score
What is the price line you are looking at? I own pants at all price points: $200+ Corneliani, $150+ Ballin, $100 Brooks Brothers, <$100 Perry Ellis, Kenneth Cole and I think my Perry Ellis' fit about as nice as any of them. You may also want to look at Brooks Brothers University cut, starts ~$100 but can be caught on sale for as low as $50.

StylinGuy

Reaction score
check out BR stuff, especially when it's on sale. they arent as good as BB stuff obviously, but at the same time you arent selling one of your kidneys to get them. i bought one the other day for 49 bucks on sale.

bigtimebuck4

Reaction score
BB University cut pants are slim, at least that is what I was told. They were too slim for me and I, while not a professional athlete, am by no means obese (5'9 180 lbs 34")

whochrisliu

Reaction score
Pants are the things that I neglect in my wardrobe. My waist size fluxuates up and down quite often. 2011-2012 for instance I went from a 32 to a 38. From now to 2014 I plan to go down to 36...34...finally back to 32. Then I will fall off the wheel again and go up up up. So right now I am only wearing size 34 pants by Hagger. They are the only pants I can find with some good elastic waistbands. Anyways pants are just one thing I never really spent money on, just not worth it to me.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few years ago I would've thought that paying $180 for Howard Yount trou was ridiculous. Now I have two pair and want a closet full. As above, the CPW is still very low, so I don't feel like they're something to skimp on.

whochrisliu

Reaction score
Pants are the things that I neglect in my wardrobe. My waist size fluxuates up and down quite often. 2011-2012 for instance I went from a 32 to a 38. From now to 2014 I plan to go down to 36...34...finally back to 32. Then I will fall off the wheel again and go up up up. So right now I am only wearing size 34 pants by Hagger. They are the only pants I can find with some good elastic waistbands. Anyways pants are just one thing I never really spent money on, just not worth it to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics