1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Why are cotton/poly blend shirts undesirable?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hobo, Apr 19, 2006.

1. roseyoungstewar

roseyoungstewar New Member

you want to look as if you rolled out of bed and wore you clothes all night in the hot heat then go right ahead. as for this old lady i go for a neater look poly/cotton is up my alley no ironing and if you do iron guaranteed you're going to look lousy because 100% cotton doesnt look good after wearing it ten minutes. as a nurse (retired) i learned a long time ago sweat does not stink it is when sweat is allowed to soak into material, hair stay on skin which hasnt been washed for hours then the bacteria grows and thus is the stink ... my advice? SHOWER 2-3 TIMES A DAY if you sweat profusely and if you are a person with a known afflictions as hyper -hydrosis meaning excessive sweating beyond the norm, your doctor will offer you some remedies,,, no need to sweat plus be wrinkled.

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  2. roseyoungstewar

roseyoungstewar New Member

hardly erodes? ok get rid of your plastic trash bags- your latex gloves, your polystyrene coffee cups- your plastic flip flops, your hair spray and your hair dye, get rid of your make up its all chemicals, get rid of your plastic false teeth, get rid of your poly neckties and plastic belts with steel buckles that also will be here on earth a hell of a lot longer than you or I. As a matter of fact listen to everyone but dont use your own brain & may as well come into the world buck neked and live that way forever...see how long it is till thee put you in side a metal and concrete chamber wearing a poly orange colored jumpsuit. and a pair of orange flip flops.

1 person likes this.
  3. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

Sweat baby sweat ... the biggest issue with poly-blend shirts for those of us not regularly playing with fire

4. rainman3070

rainman3070 New Member

LMFAO! What are you idiot's talking about?!?! Who worries about catching on fire when deciding on shirts???? Do you worry about knot strength on shoelaces cause you might trip over them in traffic?

5. shari

shari New Member

. . . i'm looking for a cotton sleeping bag online for under $100. and one that im interested in has cotton/polyester outer shell, and 100% cotton. the reason i dont care for polyester is that they dont 'breathe.' i wont wear polyester clothes and bedding.

6. Jason Morgan

Jason Morgan New Member

"LMFAO! What are you idiot's talking about?!?! Who worries about catching on fire when deciding on shirts???? Do you worry about knot strength on shoelaces cause you might trip over them in traffic?"

Welders, Fire Fighters, Soldiers, Race Car Drivers, etc...

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  7. BettyBop

BettyBop New Member

In my opinion as long as it is 65% polyester, 35% cotton or 50% polyester, 50% cotton, they wear longer and don't require ironing. This business of going to all cotton is for the birds because all cotton always comes out of the dryer looking wrinkled, and therefore requires ironing and a waste of time. You won't find many shirts or anything else these days with polyester/cotton because someone or some group got the bright idea that cotton "breathes" better and is more "natural". They probably never considered the fact that garments of all cotton have to be ironed to look nice. Now there ARE some clothes out there of all cotton that are specially treated with something that make them look nice without ironing, but they are very rare and most of the time cost more.

8. CSG123

CSG123 Member

I greatly prefer all cotton shirts but have a couple 60-40 cotton poly ocbd shirts from Land's End that I bought for a very low close out price. They are OK but nothing close to their all-cotton, must iron Hyde Park ocbd shirts. I just wear them casually and always over all-cotton tees.

9. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

For a first post, this is pretty much drivel.

10. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

Bettybop

WTF?
    In my opinion as long as it is 65% polyester, 35% cotton or 50% polyester, 50% cotton, they wear longer as long as the poly does not pill over timeand don't require ironing. This business of going to all cotton is for the birds it is for people who like the feel of all cottonbecause all cotton always comes out of the dryer looking wrinkled, and therefore requires ironing and a waste of time. or you can send your shirts out to a commercial laundry to wash and iron. You won't find many shirts or anything else these days with polyester Polyester is pretty nasty. it retains orders and looks cheap.They probably never considered the fact that garments of all cotton have to be ironed to look nicei think they did consider that fact. Now there ARE some clothes out there of all cotton that are specially treated with something that make them look nice without ironingeither liquid ammonia or formaldyhyde , but they are very rare no, you can find them anywhereand most of the time cost more.a non-iron shirt will cost more then an inexpensive cotton shirt

1 person likes this.
  11. Theoldcodger

Theoldcodger New Member