1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Why are cotton/poly blend shirts undesirable?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hobo, Apr 19, 2006.

1. davesmith

davesmith Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    This is true!! anyone else find they get an itchy neck?? the best thing i did was switch to 100% cotton shirts

2. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Cant talk about the Poly Cotton mixes particularly for a low % of Poly, but once upon a time ago I did own a lot of 100% Poly shirts and they all made my neck itch. Also, the armpits for some reason would form a kind of hardened leathery substance (armpit leather).

3. woolnotmutton

woolnotmutton Senior member

On a related note, the U.S. Military is telling soldiers not to wear Under Armour shirts out in combat because if a soldier gets hit with an explosive or is shot, the poly makes the wound a big mess and makes it tough for the doctors to work quickly.

I've found any kind of shirts with poly or wrinkle-free anything to be crap and hot as hell.

That is nice to know, if you have seen the newest fast and furious movie you can see the UA being worn by mercenaries/soldiers.

for workout purposes though, I wear Nike Dry fit, adidas climacool etc. They really do make a difference when you are doing 40+ min of cardio.

would be interested in merino workout shirts.. but I bet those don't come cheap :p

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  4. comrade

comrade Senior member

Huevos asados?

5. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

They're not THAT expensive: check out the New Zealand brand Icebreaker. Very popular among outdoorsy exercisers...

6. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

I have some icebreaker and smartwool shirts. I love them when it's cold but wouldn't wear them in a warm gym. For that, I love old poly/cotton tees to be honest, the kind I was issued for PE or sports in high school and college. My favorites for hot, sticky weather are Patagonia silkweight capilene. I love the t-shirts but hate the boxers.

Strangely, I like poly-cotton dress shirts in really hot, humid weather or really cold temps. They don't stick to my body as much as pure cotton does in the heat. But the weave needs to be open. They're also great for travel, due to the wrinkle-resistance and short drying time. I don't have many of these kind of shirts, but I like to have a few for such purposes. I've never had a problem with their odor, not for dress shirts nor workout clothes.

Cotton is probably best overall and linen is probably my favorite for the heat. I have a linen-cotton blend shirt on order and am interested to see how that compares.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  7. Bowtiedlad93

Bowtiedlad93 Senior member

Polyester is a cheap fabric and not the best for good quality mens clothing.

8. jamesny

jamesny Senior member

Basically the cotton/ploy blend can't stand high temperatures. You'd be sweating in no time when you wear a blend like that. On the plus side, I think the blend prevents the clothes from shrinking too much thus making it more durable.

9. 1905

1905 New Member

Hi!
    Does someone know where can I buy cotton/poly blend fabric for t-shirts??
    I'm looking for a 80-20 blend.

10. revjrg

revjrg New Member

Psalms also says: "Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones."
    Try using a little common sense when you quote scripture!

11. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Weirdest necro-bump/first post combination ever.

12. duggyald

duggyald Senior member

Polyester helps the fabric last longer but the bad thing is it can be environmentally hazardous since it hardly erodes.

13. erpet

erpet Senior member

+1, plastic micro fibres end up in the food chain via laundry, waistwater, oceans

14. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

God himself may frown upon thy insolence but do not to worry, for Moses will not judge thee for wearing the blended cloths from hell. You may find that the book of Leviticus does indeed hold very profound wisdom. The chapter in question referred to in this thread > http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Leviticus+19&version=NIV

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  15. spicey

spicey New Member

Polyester enhances disgusting body odour by about 100%, do not sit next to anyone on public transport who wears this material, it is fine for ropes and making tarpaulins and nothing else. It should be banned from comming into contact with human skin. 100 % Cotton every time, feels better and is heigenic.

16. D3FiANC3

D3FiANC3 New Member

Yes, 100% poly clothing does hold odor; I typically have to Mirazyme my hiking clothing. However, I have not found that be an issue with blended clothing. I exclusively wear 60/40 poly/cotton blend t-shirts and have had no odor issues. I think people who wear 100% cotton t-shirts for any type of strenuous activity are insane. They get soaked and don't dry, which is not only unpleasant, but also a health concern when hiking. Try hiking in a 100% cotton t-shirt that is drenched by the end of the day and then sleeping in that still-wet shirt when the temp drops to 40F at night.

17. mactire

mactire Senior member

For that reason wool undershirts and longjohns are far more comfortable and better at wicking moisture away from the skin.

18. pluran

pluran New Member

Pro athletes often wear close to 100% poly.

19. Hiras Fashion

Hiras Fashion Senior member

It can be undesirable when worn during warm, humid weather as polyester is a not a natural fiber unlike the cool cotton. Having said that, the cotton/poly blend retains its form with hardly any wrinkling.

20. roseyoungstewar

roseyoungstewar New Member

leviticus 19:19 says do not wear linen and woolen mixed together it is a old orthodox jewish law meaning that Linen which is a plant made from flax and wool is from an animal are not to be mixed together because simply stated it isnt Kosher. same as not cooking any milk products with non milk/nonkosher products. Wear whatever you like if you are not orthodox Jew. if you are then dont wear the Wool with Linen ... you cannot allow law that are thousands of years old to rule your life if you are not of the Jewish orthodox religion.Remember the Bible... king james version was written but copied by monks inn long hand then guttenbery came along one day and he invented the printing press. When he did he also copied down the writings as he was able to understand them to me the Bible ought to be the Guttenberg Bible since it is his interpretation.