Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Why are cotton/poly blend shirts undesirable?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hobo, Apr 19, 2006.

1. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

I keep reading on here that shirts that are cotton/polyester blend are not good.

What makes them not good and why is it better for shirts to be 100% cotton?

Aren't cotton/poly blend shirts more wrinkle resistant and easier to take care of?

2. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Poly/cotton is less comfortable than good cotton (or other organic fibre). They also do not look or drape as nice, less wrinkling notwithstanding. Frankly, clothes were meant to be worn and unnatural fabrics seem, well, unnatural. Finally, and this is the paranoia in me speaking, I would not want to be anywhere near a fire with flammable polyester on my skin.

3. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

It's not paranoia. In a fire, poly blends of any content will melt into your skin. Natural fibers are much slower to catch on fire and do not melt if they are burning.

Some hoodies I have are poly blend, but generally, I hate that stuff.

4. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

It's not paranoia. In a fire, poly blends of any content will melt into your skin. Natural fibers are much slower to catch on fire and do not melt if they are burning.

that is definitely true. had a very terrible experience years ago involving the barbecue pit and a pair of polycotton shorts. never felt such pain in my whole life!

5. Martinis at 8

Martinis at 8 Senior member

They maintain too much heat IMO.

M8

6. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

^ and scent.

7. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have seen a few very high quality blends. 80 cotton/20 poly. A mill in Spain makes these. they are a little slick feeling but donot wrinkle. They feel better then the non-iron stuff that really feels like plastic.

The problem with most blends is that they retain oders, they do not breathe well, and worst of all the fabric will pill after a while as the cotton and poly seperate slightly over time.

Carl

8. stach

stach Senior member

Yes, 80/20 is the best ratio for a blend.

9. jmatt

jmatt Senior member

I always thought the only benefit of poly/cotton blends was wrinkle resistance. I haven't owned a blend for more years than I can recall.

I find that with quality cotton shirts, following Kabbaz' directions for ironing a shirt, and using no start whatsoever, my shirts make it through the day looking very nice. Also, wearing shirts that are custom fit, and don't fit like tents, seems to cut down on wrinkles because there's not all the excess fabric to crease.

Just my opinions and observations.

10. BrooklynMike

BrooklynMike Well-Known Member

On a related note, the U.S. Military is telling soldiers not to wear Under Armour shirts out in combat because if a soldier gets hit with an explosive or is shot, the poly makes the wound a big mess and makes it tough for the doctors to work quickly.

I've found any kind of shirts with poly or wrinkle-free anything to be crap and hot as hell.

11. buddyclothing

buddyclothing New Member

I absolutely agree you guys viewpoints.
    I'd like to wear pure cotton clothes because they are natural fiber and kiss my skin best than any chemical fiber. Of course, if you like a good drape tees or polos, cttn/poly blended will be the best choice meanwhile suck in both advantage of cotton and poly. For the reason of comfortability, i go with 100%cotton.

Bill

www.buddyclothing.com

12. .Kurtz.

.Kurtz. Senior member

Polyester enhances sweat scent far beyond the limits.

13. godsaves

godsaves New Member

It says very clearly in the bible, Leviticus 19:19, that you shall not wear clothes woven with two materials. That is why.

14. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

:facepalm: